win 10 issue after update

p3sty

2[H]4U
I have searched for a while after the late February update My install of win 10 x64 pro has had some of its features disabled. Tiles don't work can't access edge or use the windows key. I can access the cmd prompt in sytem but not in admin mode. It wont let me open security tab to try to roll back updates other than a clean install any ideas?

There were no updates in February besides and Flash security update I believe. Can you check update history and figure which update is causing the problem?

how would I get there ? cant use windows key or get into update center.

You can still click on Start and engage it? If so then click on the gear icon which is Settings and go to Update and click on Update history.

I click on settings a window flashes but doesn't stay up so I cant get to it.

Can you right click on the Start button and get the Power Menu? If so, click on Run and type cmd to open up and command windows and then type this in the command window: start ms-settings: That should open up the Settings app.

windows event 5973 is what I can tell as error coming up but I'm lost from there starting up settings doesn't happen no matter what I do. unable to find app is what I get

I don't know if this is related, but a co-worker of mine here, asked as a favor, to look over her husband's Win 10 install as they were unable to get their new printer to work. So I went and saw the most bizarre thing I've ever seen in Windows. The print 'module' appeared to be missing. Like it never installed. When I looked at the hardware tab in System, it identified the printer with a weird string value (almost looked like a registry key) instead of unknown device or any of the usual clues. Never seen it before. It was literally like the module was never installed.

Although, as I was told, they went through the update from 7 to 10 so it may not be the same. Anyway, the resolution was they called MS for a per incident case for $130. It took them 4 hours to get it solved, as was told to me. Because if I had seen anything like that on my system it would be an immediate re-install. It was strange. And, as much as I like my co-workers, I certainly wasn't going to spend that much time installing it for them. ;)

Sounds like a failed update, had a similar issue on my main desktop this week. After update it would not boot. Would only boot in safe mode. Once I got it to boot normally I could not access settings, it would open and immediately close. I ended up doing a restore.

Well after many hours of not wanting Microsoft to kick my balls in I gave up and reinstalled FFFFFFFFFFFU Microsoft!!!

You didn't need to reinstall. Just enable hidden admin account, create a new user account and transfer your user profile over to the new account.

Windows update corrupts user profiles out in the real world all the time resulting in issues just like this one.

It's great, I make good $$ out of it.

It wouldn't let me create a new user account. In cmd admin or any other way I read pages of helpful solutions to no avail so please spare me the condescension. I realize I'm stoopid but not an idiot.

It wouldn't let me create a new user account. In cmd admin or any other way I read pages of helpful solutions to no avail so please spare me the condescension. I realize I'm stoopid but not an idiot.

Settle down. I'm not a Windows zealot so I'm on your side.

I'm curious, so you couldn't click Start, type CMD, right click command prompt and select 'run as administrator'?

You could try one of Microsoft's 'recovery methods' that are guaranteed to never work...

Yeah well now after reinstall the frikken thing has come down with the sleep bug.......ffs MS

Back