win 10 forced updates

radur

n00b
I have not taken the plunge yet and upgraded from win 7.

The biggest reason for me is forced updates, and mostly worrying about forced updates from nvidia drivers.

Before I upgrade is there a hidden way in the registry to turn off forced updates?

what happens if you run into a bad nvidia driver update can you downgrade that driver manually but then will it auto update?

You can go into Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers, right click your computer icon and click Device installation settings, then choose to never install drivers from Windows Update.

If you are running older hardware which hasn't had recent driver updates I would recommend not doing this. Some updated drivers are only available through Windows Update. I've seen both Intel and AMD video drivers, for old hardware, delivered through Windows Update that are not available to download otherwise.

You can turn off Windows update services which will block all updates until you turn it on (which is handy if you have slow internet and/or prefer to wait and see if others have problems before getting an update). This might however effect something else (Cortana was mentioned as a possibility in another post)...I have not yet upgraded to Win10 to see...it depends if anything else uses this service.

You can go into Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers, right click your computer icon and click Device installation settings, then choose to never install drivers from Windows Update.
I just want to update this by saying this setting will still not stop drivers from being offered through Windows Update, just auto installing them when you have hardware without drivers. You'll eventually get the driver when you run WU.

I think the only option to disable a specific driver update is through the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter available here.

That setting/option hasn't worked for months in the preview builds. It is merely a leftover from a previous time--sort of like your appendix. Disabling Windows Update Services is probably the only sure bet. Need to see if I can still disable it in new build 10525. The "show/hide update" tool works after a fashion but is cumbersome to use.

Back