Win 10 for Workstations

poee

Limp Gawd
Recently got a hand-me-down HP Z600 dual Xeon machine running Win 7 Pro. I need to update it to Win10. Does Win 10 Pro support Xeon, or do I have to get Win 10 Pro for Workstations? If so, how do I get that version of 10?

Microsoft website is confusing me about this specific question, as well as how to get Pro for Workstations. Is there an ISO download for it like other versions of 10?

Appreciate any help!

I'm with pendragon, just install it and see. I have never heard of a Xeon not working on Pro. "Support" can mean anything from won't work to "we will refuse to offer you assistance if you have trouble and aren't running this version."

I don't see the point of listing Pro as supporting dual cpus but then restricting Xeons and Opterons to Workstation or Enterprise, as they are the only mainstream dual CPU platforms.

You would need to talk to someone like a CDW rep to purchase a legit copy of Enterprise or Workstation most likely.

I have 2x Xeon x5670 running on my brother's rendering system. It works fine on Win7 and Win10.

I have 2x Xeon x5670 running on my brother's rendering system. It works fine on Win7 and Win10.

Here too. Homebuilt system using scavanged parts my company was throwing out and a repurposed Supermicro Server motherboard. Runs Windows 10 just fine. Burns an incredible amount of power though.

win 10 pro can see a max of two cpus i have 2 5670s in my system with 48gb of ram and ssd boot disc win 10 pro and it boots in to windows in about 20sec ;)

if more than 2 cpus are installed you need to use the server os otherwise it wont see them why imo it costs so much.

Ran Windows 10 Pro on my Xeons just fine.

intel_dual_xeon-Windows10.jpg

IMG_1695.JPG

I'm running Windows 10 Pro on HP Z800 with dual x5680. No issues here.

The best way to upgrade without having to reactivate is use the Microsoft Creation Media tool. It will upgrade your current Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro without having to reactivate.

Now if you have a retail Windows 7 Pro key you can use the Windows 10 Pro iso and reinstall Windows 10 and use the Windows 7 key to activate the Windows 10. Make sure it's a Pro and a retail key.

Can confirm Windows 10 (Pro anyways) supports 2 CPU sockets, seems agnostic as to what they are for the most part. Tested just now in a VM.

Here's why Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and Windows 10 Enterprise are the only versions of Windows 10 that officially support any Xeon-branded CPUs:

1) Some of the Xeons are quad-processor capable;
2) Many of the Xeon CPUs have more than 64 threads (or more than 32 cores) per physical CPU socket.

Normal Windows 10 Pro trips up at more than 64 threads per socket - and only two CPU sockets are officially supported in normal Windows 10 Pro. So, even one CPU that has more than 32 cores and 64 threads will trigger the second 64-thread processor group, which meant that a single 64-core/128-thread CPU would have pegged the maximum total thread limit of 128 threads for normal Windows 10 Pro. And the way that normal Windows 10 Pro's affinity scheduler handles the switchover is klutzy, resulting in higher latency than a more high-thread-friendly OS such as Windows 10 Enterprise.

Only Xeon CPUs with 32 or more cores/threads are the multi die family 92xx and only available for OEM.
Epyc CPUs with 32/48/64 cores are available for everyone willing to buy them.

Glad to see things are working.
As an aside. Why anyone would even bother installing Windows 10 Home is beyond me. I never suggest that to anyone. Period.
BTW I've had several customers using Win 10 on older workstations. Where you usually run into issues is with the Graphics cards. Win 10 is not nearly as forgiving for them.

I don't do benchmarks but I replaced my old trusty i7-4790K with a Ryzen 7 3700X and my HandBrake video encodes get done a heck of a lot faster with 8C/16T Vs. 4C/8T of the Haswell i7 I think 32GB DDR4 Vs. 16GB DDR3 may help but I don't know about that. I got my Ryzen 7 3700X back in early March of 2020 (before the world went to Shit and PC parts went unobtanium at retail price due to scalpers and what not) I got it for $298 plus what ever it came to after the 6.35% Connecticut sales tax. I love it but for some reason it actually uses more electricity then the i7 did according to my CyberPower PowerPanel Business Edition monitoring software

Back