Win 10 failed 1511 update

I just spent the last 2 hours installing the Fall update on my Win 10 Pro install and right at the end it gives me a failed install message. I'm not getting any prompt to re-install or re-download the update and it's telling me everything it up-to-date. Winver says I'm still at 10240. Any ideas or similar experiences here?

For a laptop I'm working on it installed, but once you get to the desktop, it doesn't finish loading all the icons and just flashes every 1-2 seconds. Junk, it didn't even ask if you want to install it.

I just spent the last 2 hours installing the Fall update on my Win 10 Pro install and right at the end it gives me a failed install message. I'm not getting any prompt to re-install or re-download the update and it's telling me everything it up-to-date. Winver says I'm still at 10240. Any ideas or similar experiences here?

yeah, I just had that happen on one of my machines. Funny, it doesn't show in the windows update history at all, either.

Whenever I've had major updates fail, I typically clear the Windows Update cache, run SFC /scannow, and then try again.
That tends to work.

Just installed it on my Surface Book using the Media Creation tool downloaded to the drive. It went perfectly.

My gaming rig and another laptop I'm setting up for someone both downloaded the update, then just.. "no updates available." I ended up kicking off the update via a USB with setup.exe on both of them.

Other machines I did it on installed without issue so far.

3rd time was the charm I guess ... this latest 1511 update finally went through on this old Gateway 506GR

..oops .. I lied .. just checked windows version and still at 10240 .. :(

Last edited:
I have 2 skylake PCs and both "failed" the update and now it doesn't give me the option to try again. This is so annoying

Mine tried the update and it froze up my machine and now I can't get back in. Grrrr auto updates sucks

anybody else using 32bit Windows 10 and having issues with this update?

Funny, the update installed just now without issue. MS really need to find a better way with these updates. I still have a bunch of driver updates I've hidden with their tool, even when I unhide them they don't install and there doesn't seem to be a way to force them. It's all too confusing.

God forbid they made it available as a manual download

Was talking about only the update, not an ISO to reinstall the whole OS. Those ISO options don't cover LTSB for example.

You used to be able to manually download just a service pack executable, not merely a new ISO with it already integrated.

The update is a whole new OS version. You can run the update from this tool either running it locally or creating USB or DVD media for other machines.

I could have sworn the update was a like a service pack update, not the re installation of the whole OS. The failed update I received was not 3.7GB.

Apparently if you rollback to a date before you tried to applied the update using system restore the update will be seen and you can try to download and install it again, unfortunately for me system restore is turned off by default.

[Edit]

Just checked and I'm able to see the update again, downloading now, lets see if it works this time.

Last edited:
The update worked the second time around. I admit, there are some nice enhancements. However, I'm really pissed off that all the privacy settings I set on OS install have now been re-enabled and I have to go through and work out how to reset them to my preferred settings again - If that's even possible now.

Does Microsoft provide an ISO with this update integrated? For Win10 Pro 64bit preferred. I'd rather not do a upgrade.. and rather do a fresh install.

Does Microsoft provide an ISO with this update integrated? For Win10 Pro 64bit preferred. I'd rather not do a upgrade.. and rather do a fresh install.

Yes, just use the media creation tool and it downloads the latest release and will create a USB drive for you to use. Or an ISO if you want to wait 40 minutes through a slow disc install :p

The update is a whole new OS version. You can run the update from this tool either running it locally or creating USB or DVD media for other machines.

I was looking more for an ISO link. Rufus can make an ISO to USB drive.

I was looking more for an ISO link. Rufus can make an ISO to USB drive.

The same tool that makes the USB drives can download the raw ISO as well. I've had no issues with the Microsoft tool created USB drives for multiple versions of Windows, there is zero configuration and it always just works.

Just to be clear, the latest Windows 10 ISO may upgrade you to build 10586.3 as the update is incorporated in the Windows install media, but the update itself is not a whole ~3.5GB complete Windows reinstall download.

The update is more like a service pack release.

Just to be clear, the latest Windows 10 ISO may upgrade you to build 10586.3 as the update is incorporated in the Windows install media, but the update itself is not a whole ~3.5GB complete Windows reinstall download.

The update is more like a service pack release.

No service pack I remember ever required a complete reinstall of the OS :) Oh how I miss those days. With these upgrades now wiping out previously installed settings and programs, and MS committing to releasing these several times per year, its going to be a long, miserable ride.

No service pack I remember ever required a complete reinstall of the OS :) Oh how I miss those days. With these upgrades now wiping out previously installed settings and programs, and MS committing to releasing these several times per year, its going to be a long, miserable ride.

As stated, this upgrade was like a service pack, it was not a complete OS reinstall as everyone is recommending.

This will create an ISO as well.

Don't see the need to install a program to download an ISO. But I found it anyways.. So all is good.

As stated, this upgrade was like a service pack, it was not a complete OS reinstall as everyone is recommending.

I've never had service packs uninstall programs and completely reinstall windows components. This is more like a upgrade from 7/8/8.1 to 10. It even follows the same methods as a upgrade install..

The better question is does Microsoft provide a MSU file (Microsoft Software/Standalone Update) for 1511, 10586. And the answer is no. This isn't an update or Update (as in Windows 8.1 Update) where you can get an msu file or a service pack where you can get an exe. This seems more like Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 (that would make this Windows 8.3 or 10.1?).

Does this mean it would be a massive pain to go from 10240 to 10586 if you were a VDI administrator?

Don't see the need to install a program to download an ISO. But I found it anyways.. So all is good.

I've never had service packs uninstall programs and completely reinstall windows components. This is more like a upgrade from 7/8/8.1 to 10. It even follows the same methods as a upgrade install..

Well we've never had a beast quite like Windows 10....

The update is defiantly not ~3.5GB like the ISO.

The Windows 10 Pro 1511 update installed ok here - but I noticed it removed CPU-Z as an application after installation! I found that to be quite bizarre.

There isn't a later version yet to CPU-Z beyond version 1.74 on cpuid.com

Back