Win 10 Direct ISO link

Neat little tool they've created there, will be interesting to see how many people make use of it. Grabbing the 32/64 ISO just to have it around for safe keeping in case I need it for some customer issue, should be about ~6.6GB in size give or take a bit - coming down at pretty swiftly so I guess I'm taking a small part of that claimed 40Tbps that Microsoft has CDN providers expecting today. :)

Neat little tool they've created there, will be interesting to see how many people make use of it. Grabbing the 32/64 ISO just to have it around for safe keeping in case I need it for some customer issue.

ya I grabbed an ISO of each just in case...

Ok so I was off by about a gig, the 32/64 ISO (a single ISO with both architectures) came out to be 5.55 GB (5,964,693,504 bytes - although someone else doing this might not get exactly the same size per bytes, it should be identical in that respect but MD5/SHA1 checksums will never match) when the download and ESD conversion was completely done. Unfortunately I can't burn that to a DVD at this moment, don't have any dual layer media (DVD9) so I'll just stash the ISO someplace I suppose.

Happen to have a 6+GB flash drive? I usually use the Rufus tool to put any OS on a flash drive for installation.

Well, yeah, that's a given but, I have no use for Windows 10 personally so I'm not going to "waste" a USB stick at the moment for it, I'll transfer it over if and when the need arises. I use (for years now) the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool Microsoft created for Windows 7 long ago, it's never failed to make a solid USB installation stick. I also use Unetbootin when needed for other similar purposes. I've had issues with Rufus in the past and no issues with Unetbootin or the Microsoft tool so they'll do fine.

I've had issues with Rufus in the past and no issues with Unetbootin or the Microsoft tool so they'll do fine.

I'm curious what issues as well. The only issue I ever had with Rufus was me picking the wrong partition type for my UEFI laptop. Otherwise its my go-to for install media on USB and hasbeen for a few years now. I've had more than one issue with the MS tool crashing or making media on USB that wouldn't actually boot.

I have never gotten Windows ISOs to work right with Unetbootin, it is primarily for Lunix distros. WinToBoot or ISO2USB work reliably for Windows ISOs.

That link doesn't work for me on Windows, On linux it lets me choose a download and not use the media creation tool.

As for the Rufus issues, it wasn't writing the boot sector properly in several instances whereas Unetbootin or the Microsoft tool did it without skipping a beat. I was trying to be careful to not go so far and say "Rufus sucks..." because I was only relaying my direct first-hand experience of using it. That was a few years ago, maybe there was just some particular glitch with the version at the time on my specific configuration setup, or the USB sticks, I can't say. I've heard a lot of good/great things about Rufus, but for me it didn't live up to the claims at that time so I never went back to attempting to make use of it again.

Might give it another go here sometime, however.

what are "KN" and "N" versions

• N is made for the EU market and does not include Windows Media Player.
  • KN is made for the Korean Market and does not include Windows Media Player or an Instant Messenger.
  • VL are volume license editions for business enterprise customers and uses MAK (Multiple Activation Keys) or KMS (Key Management Server) to activate.
(source}

• N is made for the EU market and does not include Windows Media Player.
  • KN is made for the Korean Market and does not include Windows Media Player or an Instant Messenger.
  • VL are volume license editions for business enterprise customers and uses MAK (Multiple Activation Keys) or KMS (Key Management Server) to activate.
(source}

Camera is also removed from N versions, as well as some IE11 features that can apparently be added back in. (Source)

That "neat little tool" fails every time on create a USB drive, with the totally unhelpful error "Something Happened", and then deletes all the files you just downloaded. >.<

That "neat little tool" fails every time on create a USB drive, with the totally unhelpful error "Something Happened", and then deletes all the files you just downloaded. >.<

So, use it to download the ISO (it doesn't really download the ISO, it downloads encrypted container files then extracts them and builds an ISO) and instead just use the other Microsoft tool to create the USB stick using the ISO: Windows USB/DVD Download Tool

Tiberian, Rufus gets updated every once in a while & it definitely keeps getting better (IMHO). I've tried a ton of tools similar to it but none can beat it.

So, use it to download the ISO (it doesn't really download the ISO, it downloads encrypted container files then extracts them and builds an ISO) and instead just use the other Microsoft tool to create the USB stick using the ISO: Windows USB/DVD Download Tool

Yeah, I'm doing that. I just wish they'd give a retry or verify or something, not just delete the 6gig download and start over, just to delete it again. >.<

Yeah, I'm doing that. I just wish they'd give a retry or verify or something, not just delete the 6gig download and start over, just to delete it again. >.<

Well what it's downloading are ESD files, not ISOs - people are misunderstanding what that Media Creator Tool is doing. It's a bit more complex than just downloading an actual pre-made ISO file and the ESDs aren't of any use to anyone until they're decrypted and extracted but then they have to be converted to ISOs anyway - that's what that tool is doing.

Of course Microsoft isn't helping at all because they're telling people "Here, use this tool to download the ISOs..." directly and that's not what the damned thing is doing. :D

I'm glad that the OP posted this link. I was using the Windows 10 preview that was an in-place upgrade so was activated. Unfortunately, I subscribed to the Windows Insider Program and was trapped in upgrade hell. The build that I had would not let me out of the Inside Program and would not upgrade any more. It also wanted me to convert to a Microsoft account rather than sticking with a local account. I tried the download tool to do an upgrade of my existing system and it failed with some kind of modern app issue immediately after verifying the download.

I used the link again and this time chose to create an ISO and burned it to DVD. This upgraded my system without issue. I was then able to get out of the Windows Insider Program and still have an activated version of Windows 10.

I'm also one of the unfortunate individuals that has more than 512 apps installed. Actually, Control Panel says that I have 149 programs installed. This multiplies to 669 according to Get-StartApps | measure. It's funny that ClassicShell works better than the native Windows start menu while maintaining a Windows 7 like appearance.

I downloaded the media creation tool to get the ISO and three times it failed. Now it is so slow that it might take until tomorrow to finish downloading.

Grabbed the Win10 Pro x64 ISO using the MediaCreationTool download and I now have a nice 3.1GB ISO file. Thanks!

I have used this tool to download windows 10 pro and home edition as ISO files. However, after I save the ISO files, I notice my C drive space gets smaller, so I am wondering where I could locate the download files in C drive and I could delete them?

Grabbed the Win10 Pro x64 ISO using the MediaCreationTool download and I now have a nice 3.1GB ISO file. Thanks!

how did u delete the download cache file in your C drive? I have lost 6G on my C drive and I don't know where I could find it and delete it.

It's in 2 hidden folders on the root and both folder names begin with a $.

yeah duh like folder options -> show hidden stuff, they will be plain visible on your c: drive

Back