Win 10 clean install and customize settings screen showing twice

Clean installing Win 10 and I'm getting a weird thing where the part of the install when it comes to entering the serial/customize settings loops back a second time. When it happens, the "Just a moment" screen appears for a good few seconds after I've continued past the customize settings screen, then the desktop flashes up for an instant, goes back to the just a moment message for a few more seconds, then the system restarts. When it continues, it's back to the serial/customize screen, I click through again, and it takes me to the enter user name/password screen as normal. This happens I'd say 9 out of 10 times, occasionally it doesn't and just continues directly to the username/password screen as it's meant to. There doesn't seem to be a real problem per se, everything seems to install fine, but the fact that it sometimes doesn't happen makes me think there's something going on. Anybody else experienced this? Spec is MSI Z87-G45, 512gb 850 Pro, 16gb Corsair Vengeance, 980 Strix.

After a fourth installation of Windows 10 I finally came across something similar. After the upgrade I reinstalled to do a clean install and I got to the part of entering the product key, which I skipped, and then customize settings like what do I want to share with Microsoft, etc. The system reboots and I'm back to entering product key and customize the settings.

But it installs ok the second time for you?

After a fourth installation of Windows 10 I finally came across something similar. After the upgrade I reinstalled to do a clean install and I got to the part of entering the product key, which I skipped, and then customize settings like what do I want to share with Microsoft, etc. The system reboots and I'm back to entering product key and customize the settings.

Yeah its been doing this to ever computer ive upgraded to 10 lately. I remember it saying updating windows before though. I believe that its updating the installation files after going through the customize screen the first time. I bet that if you redownloaded the WIN 10 ISO it wouldnt do this anymore because its probably been updated. Since you have to leave the computer hooked up internet to make it genuine you cant try installing without internet to test if its true

Just went through a Win 7 > 10 Upgrade about an hour ago and it did not do the double settings bug. I did choose to let it download updates before upgrading though.

I had that problem of customize settings coming up twice. What seemed to prevent that from happening to my installation is to not enter the product key when setup asks for it the first time. Only type in the key when the installer prompts you the second time, after the first reboot.

Back