Win 10, 20 min restart time, 1 min powerup

Snakebyt

[H]ard|Gawd
I have had a problem for a while, if i restart the computer, it comes up the the win logo and the spinning circle and takes about 20 min to boot back up to the OS.. but if i shut it down, turn off power supply for about 30 seconds and power back up, it takes less than 1 min to get back up.. Where should i look for a potential problem? Right now i just have the SSD installed, any other hard drives are external USB drives.

Just wondering where i should look for a potential problem.

I would begin by disconnecting all the USB drives and see if the restart time improves. If it does then reconnect the external drives one at time until the problem recurs. Just a thought.

Also, when it is taking forever to boot back up, is the SSD being accessed? (Hard drive light lit up solid?)

I would begin by disconnecting all the USB drives and see if the restart time improves. If it does then reconnect the external drives one at time until the problem recurs. Just a thought.
my external has always slowed my boot times. not by 20 minutes but it adds 30-45 seconds. have never been able to figure it out.

Ran into this at work. It turned out to be a windows service that was causing the problem. I'll see if I can find my notes about it because I don't recall which service it was. One of the crap services you don't really need though, I remember that because you could disable it without impacting anything.

if i restart the computer, it comes up the the win logo and the spinning circle and takes about 20 min to boot back up to the OS.. but if i shut it down, turn off power supply for about 30 seconds and power back up, it takes less than 1 min to get back up..

While this isn't a solution to your problem unfortunately, one thing to consider are the differences in the way Windows 10 handles a reboot/restart vs a shutdown and startup compared to previous windows operating systems. This isn't exactly intuitive, but in Windows 10 only a restart actually shuts everything down and starts it up again. In Windows 10, when you shut down your computer, it actually uses a method similar to hibernation called "Fast Startup" to save the current state of many running windows services and resume them when you "start up" again. That probably explains why it takes so much longer when you reboot. Whatever Windows service takes so long to start up when you reboot is instead simply being resumed via "Fast Startup" when you shut down and start up. You can actually disable "Fast Startup" if you want, and i'd bet that if you did, your shutdowns and startups would then be just as slow as your reboots are now.

While this isn't a solution to your problem unfortunately, one thing to consider are the differences in the way Windows 10 handles a reboot/restart vs a shutdown and startup compared to previous windows operating systems. This isn't exactly intuitive, but in Windows 10 only a restart actually shuts everything down and starts it up again. In Windows 10, when you shut down your computer, it actually uses a method similar to hibernation called "Fast Startup" to save the current state of many running windows services and resume them when you "start up" again. That probably explains why it takes so much longer when you reboot. Whatever Windows service takes so long to start up when you reboot is instead simply being resumed via "Fast Startup" when you shut down and start up. You can actually disable "Fast Startup" if you want, and i'd bet that if you did, your shutdowns and startups would then be just as slow as your reboots are now.

This 100%. Considering 'fastboot', when you shut down your Windows PC you aren't really shutting down - You're going into a form of hibernation.

When you restart you're fully booting up again from a cold boot, hence the increased boot time.

Ran into this at work. It turned out to be a windows service that was causing the problem. I'll see if I can find my notes about it because I don't recall which service it was. One of the crap services you don't really need though, I remember that because you could disable it without impacting anything.

Had a similar problem on one of my old PCs; for some weird reason there was a conflict between my Raid drivers and the print spool service; I had to disable the printer service to get boot times back to normal. It does sound like the HDD is probably locking up for some reason, and it's probably a service related problem.

Just uplug all the external drives or USB peripherals apart from the mouse and keyboard and try to boot your system in Safe Mode and see how much time does it take to boot and shutdown.

My Windows10 boots in 17 seconds from a restart and that's POST time included. It has several USB peripherals (including an SSD on USB3 hub) and multiple drives attached. So something is very wrong with your system. Reinstall probably needed! :)

Under Linux this really is something that is so simple to diagnose, under Windows it really is a PITA, relying on outdated and sometimes shady 'non free' software.

It may seem like killing a fly with a sledgehammer, but sometimes when it comes to Windows a reinstall is the most efficient way to resolve such issues, as ridiculous as that is.

If the OS appears to 'hang' at times I'd say there's the possibility of a failing SSD, cable or controller - What do the Windows log files say?

Back