Will Zen 4 be the real deal and a worthy upgrade from Zen 3

That was my feeling also.. considering how long AM4 has existed...

This is AMD's way of transitioning to the "socket change creep" that Intel strategy employs šŸ¤£
They did promise support of AM5 socket till 2025. That is 3 years(still better than Intel) but less than AM4's 6yr run/ support.

I still want to know #'s of people that keep the same Mobo/RAM keep buying new CPUs every 2-3 years to drop in. That seems like a bullet point more than something to really care about.

They did promise support of AM5 socket till 2025. That is 3 years(still better than Intel) but less than AM4's 6yr run/ support.

We are nearly 2023... and based on announcement times and release times... then AM6 will be announced 2024 then lol

I still want to know #'s of people that keep the same Mobo/RAM keep buying new CPUs every 2-3 years to drop in. That seems like a bullet point more than something to really care about.

Im planning to upgrade to a 5000 series by the end of this year to replace my 3900X, so I am one of those people that upgrades cpus. Ive upgraded cpus on every system I have had except my 3770K as that was the best cpu it took, and there was nothing to upgrade to.

Itā€™s a nice to have certainly. I still have 2 family PCs on b450 boards that went from Ryzen 1600s to 3600s. My son has my old x570 unify and a 3600 that will probably get a 5900x to top it off. I have a b550 itx that Iā€™m seriously considering a 5800x3d for it. Personally I feel the 5600 or 5700x is probably the budget choice for anyone to update a 1000 or 2000 series box and run it in it into the dirt. As a hobbyist/ enthusiast I change hardware way too often for it to make financial sense but again I enjoy it so ..

Launch x370 here with ryzen 1700 -> 3900x -> 5950x.

I did upgrade my MoBo to x570 along the way because I needed more PCI-E lanes, but my partner is using my launch x370 and 3900X and the board does have support for the 5000 series. Which is a potential upgrade option.

Anyway. The obvious holes in the series have me thinking.

The 7950x being cheaper is because of some combination of:

1: yields are awesome, so there's no reason to sell chips with chiplets disabled.

2: there's gonna be a 7950X3D that'll take over the spot as the true top end. (Along with a 7800X3d)

3: lower chance, but a surprise 7970X that somehow manages to fit 24cores? Maybe by removing the GPU die?

4: maybe the 5950x didn't sell well at full price. ĀÆā \ā _ā (ā ćƒ„ā )ā _ā /ā ĀÆ

1: yields are awesome, so there's no reason to sell chips with chiplets disabled.

2: there's gonna be a 7950X3D that'll take over the spot as the true top end. (Along with a 7800X3d)

3: lower chance, but a surprise 7970X that somehow manages to fit 24cores? Maybe by removing the GPU die?

4: maybe the 5950x didn't sell well at full price. ĀÆā \ā _ā (ā ćƒ„ā )ā _ā /ā ĀÆ

Or it's because Intel has a competitive product at release.

Not impressed at all with Zen4.

-6000/3000 is the NEW 4000/2000 IF speeds(some not all were able to hit 4000/2000mhz).
- BOOST Freq means NOTHING. Effective clocks do.
- X3D this gen BETTER not be locked for overclocking.
- 5.1ghz all core tells me 5.7 "Boost" freq won't be common hence why in the Keynote AMD stated "Up to" keyword.
- AMD EXPO is nothing more than XMP/DOCP

Waiting on 3rd Party reviews. AMD's first party benchmarks are cherry picked and BIAS not showing you the performance of their chips, rather the performance of their PLATFORM/Ecosystem.
All core frequency has no bearing on whether or not 5.7 for 1 or 2 threads will be 'common'.

With Zen 3, AMD actually underpromised the boost clocks. AMD's silicon is really good for frequencies. I have no doubt the boosts will be on target, and maintain fairly solid, with only decent cooling.

They actually had 7980 samples----but pulled the plug on it. The speculation is that, rather than binning chips for a higher frequency 7980----------bin those chips for a 7950x3D, where they can match 7950x clocks, at lower voltage to keep the V-cache happy. And you still end up with a better CPU than a highly clocked 7980x.

5950x sold a lot. They would basically sell out within a couple of days, for maybe a solid year?

All core frequency has no bearing on whether or not 5.7 for 1 or 2 threads will be 'common'.

With Zen 3, AMD actually underpromised the boost clocks. AMD's silicon is really good for frequencies. I have no doubt the boosts will be on target, and maintain fairly solid, with only decent cooling.
5000 series was the first time AMD actually delivered on the boost frequencies in the way that people were led to believe. my 3900X will hit 4.65 but its only for a fraction of a second, nothing sustained like the 5000 stuff does where it will hold those boosts longer and more frequently

Could be a mix of 1 a mix of @ND40oz
Or it's because Intel has a competitive product at release.

6) a different world demand wise, some people wanting an upgrade that would have bought a 5800x or 5900x would they have been possible to simply order them got 5950x because it was the only one available, the FOMO of 2020 for hardware supply was quite something. Bot for shoes, consoles and gpus ok, but for new cpu ?

7) platform change could change the price point, you had an user base that only had to pay price of a new 5950x + tax + shipping - price of their current 2xxx-3xxx cpu that was selling well.

Price delta between 7900x and 7950x is now only $150, vs $250 for the last two generations. This will get a lot more people to splurge for the 7950x myself included if I was in the market. $250 for 4 more cores wasn't that appealing. $150 for 4 more cores is a lot easier to swallow.

Sold my original 5900X awhile back and replaced it with the rev2 5900X and it sustains boost clocks considerably better than the rev1. I'd bet sustained boost clocks on the 7900 series are gonna be even better yet. I see no real reason to doubt the numbers AMD is claiming as far as sustaining boost performance on high thread work loads.

Sold my original 5900X awhile back and replaced it with the rev2 5900X and it sustains boost clocks considerably better than the rev1. I'd bet sustained boost clocks on the 7900 series are gonna be even better yet. I see no real reason to doubt the numbers AMD is claiming as far as sustaining boost performance on high thread work loads.
How do you know which revision of the processor that you have? My 5950X has been amazing at sustaining boost clocks, but I'm also cooling it with an Arctic Freezer 420mm.
Guessing that "VMR-B2" means revision 2?
1662061354550.png

I have 6 computers in the back room that are all running Zen 1 CPU's. I'll probably upgrade all of them to at least Zen 2 and maybe Zen 3 over the next few months, depending on what turns up in the used market.

Socket and chipset longevity isn't a decider, but it certainly is a plus. I personally would be willing to pay $50 or so more for a mobo that is likely to have a few years worth of upgrade life in it. With Intel, 2 generations seems to be the norm, with the second typically being a pretty marginal improvement over the first.

5800X here, too. Honestly, I doubt any of these will make much difference in 4K gaming. Maybe 1-5% and only with maintaining extra high FPS. Newer titles ARE starting to push the CPU a little more, though. The trick is, I'm giving this thing away and I don't exactly feel like buying dying tech to replace it. Will probably be looking at the 7900 or whatever Intel's high end is. There's no chance I'm buying anything (except maybe a case) until after Intel's presentation.
Agreed, but it might surprise with better MIN's due to the modernized arc. Or at least one could hope. I do feel that AM4, due to its extreme legacy (and props for that), was really limited with the RAM speed/ infinity cache/ Cache dating all the way back to Zen 1.
This fresh system has learned a lot from the Zen past I would think.

Agreed, but it might surprise with better MIN's due to the modernized arc. Or at least one could hope. I do feel that AM4, due to its extreme legacy (and props for that), was really limited with the RAM speed/ infinity cache/ Cache dating all the way back to Zen 1.
This fresh system has learned a lot from the Zen past I would think.
Holy guess work Batman!

yeah, there are limited applications that are starting to make my 5930k feel old (ubisoft DRM filled games). Now that i'm thinking about upgrading...
i can upgrade my X99 from a 5930k to a higher freq more core 6xxxk
but thats also ancient by now and would likely not improve things much in single-threaded scenarios.
Might as well go for a 7700x or something.

People really underestimate CPUs. Unless you're running at 720p & 280hz, any recent 6-8 core should be good at current resolutions (1440p+). The differences are usually less than 3% at 4k.

Gaming-focused AMD Ryzen 7000 X3D CPUs rumored to launch early 2023

Don't rush to buy, better gaming CPUs are reportedly coming soon...

https://www.pcinvasion.com/amd-ryzen-7000-x3d-rumor-launch/
Typical Internet babble at best with no real information and just repeating someone else's babble.

30% number is meaningless without real context. As for real gaming performance or more importantly, if it really makes a difference in your experience is another thing.

Typical Internet babble at best with no real information and just repeating someone else's babble.

30% number is meaningless without real context. As for real gaming performance or more importantly, if it really makes a difference in your experience is another thing.
Moore's law Is dead isn't 'babble'. He is one of the top leakers for computer hardware when it comes to develolment progress of new architectures and what to expect from them.

I'm excited for Zen 4, but buying anything above $400 without 3D cache is pointless. Why would any enthusiast do that?

I'm excited for Zen 4, but buying anything above $400 without 3D cache is pointless. Why would any enthusiast do that?
Because I need more cores? And the gaming performance change is negligible at my resolution - itā€™s just not significant.

Unless the 7950X has a 3D cache version - meh. And even then, unless boost clocks are there - meh. Gaming is one of many workloads - Iā€™m honestly waiting for the next generation Threadripper more than anything.

If you never buy when something better is coming soon, not sure when you're going to be able to get on the computer bandwagon.

when a new launch is just a few months away it does make a big difference...it's not like the new CPU's are 1 year away

I've only just learned about this concept, reading about the 5800X3D. Seems like this makes a lot of sense at the midrange, at least for some gaming workloads. But for high end stuff, I'd think it doesn't matter as much.

Zen4's latency is god awful. 12900K with properly tuned DDR5 on a good mobo should be mid to upper 40s as far as latency goes with a matured IMC. 60ns plus is absolutely shit for 1% and .1% lows
Screenshot_20220925_173633.jpg

FB_IMG_1664162952896.jpg

Back