Will Zen 4 be the real deal and a worthy upgrade from Zen 3

It's technically not a price increase over the last generation launch.
The 7700x costs $150 more than the 5700x.

And this is about more than pricing Vs. previous gen. Intel's 12th gen mixed up the pricing for core counts. And Raptorlake is further increasing core counts on the i5, i7, and i9.

1661815905163.png

These chips look juicy, I am betting you can get an all core OC of around 5 to 5.1ghz if my experience with Zen 2 and Zen 3 hold true. That 5.7ghz single threaded boost clock could be good though with just some basic PBO tuning as well. Kind of excited to get my hands on one.

The 7700x costs $150 more than the 5700x.

And this is about more than pricing Vs. previous gen. Intel's 12th gen mixed up the pricing for core counts. And Raptorlake is further increasing core counts on the i5, i7, and i9.

The 7700x costs the same as the 8C/16T Zen 3 part did at launch. The others are identical. If the late to market 5700x is your best argument, you're grasping too much. Both the high end and low end are the exact same price.

Zen 5 is where the juicy upgrade will be from Zen 3. Zen 4 is a decent step though for a new socket jump. It’s more like a Zen3 v2 made for an AM5 intro.

The 7700x costs the same as the 8C/16T Zen 3 part did at launch. The others are identical. If the late to market 5700x is your best argument, you're grasping too much. Both the high end and low end are the exact same price.
It also replaces the x800 like I said earlier. They are saving the 7800x for the 3D cache.

Waiting to see what Threadripper has - still loving my 3960X, and I need the PCIE lanes. Hoping I don't have to go all WRX on the next jump.

I love that AMD is going to support Socket AM5 through 2025...

Considering 2023 is a stone's throw away, I am having a hard time generating the "Such Wow! Much Excite!" for a hair over 2 years. That's just 2 maybe 3 CPU gens on the same board. If they'd said 2027 and 4 CPU gens it would at least close to the 5 CPU gens of AM4 supported (Excavator & Ryzen 1000, 2000, 3000 and 5000 CPUs).

Considering 2023 is a stone's throw away, I am having a hard time generating the "Such Wow! Much Excite!" for a hair over 2 years. That's just 2 maybe 3 CPU gens on the same board. If they'd said 2027 and 4 CPU gens it would at least close to the 5 CPU gens of AM4 supported (Excavator & Ryzen 1000, 2000, 3000 and 5000 CPUs).

they said it would be supported until at least 2025 and likely beyond...

they said it would be supported until at least 2025 and likely beyond...

Those words would give me more comfort if my Crosshair VI Extreme had not come so close to getting the axe regarding 5000 series CPUs, and even so it took the threat of "If I gotta buy a new board anyway, might as well go Alder Lake!" to save it.

Looks interesting but the TDP has greatly increased compared to it's predecessors and such a high clock speed as well.

Looks interesting but the TDP has greatly increased compared to it's predecessors and such a high clock speed as well.

When looking at TDP, keep in mind, all 7000 series have an IGP vs the 3000 and 5000 which did not.

It'll be interesting to see Buildzoids motherboard VRM reviews/rants for this new platform.

Intel's In Trouble... Our Thoughts on AMD Zen 4 Pricing, Specs, Performance, Platform Support

It also replaces the x800 like I said earlier. They are saving the 7800x for the 3D cache.
"In the released line-up I noticed that after the 7950X and 7900X they drop down to the 7700X. I thought this puzzling as with the 5000 series we had no 5700X until very late and the same time roughly as the 5800X3D.
My crystal ball guess here in the 7800X slot will stay empty until AMD wants to release it as the 7800X3D exclusively when they feel the need to solidify it as the top gaming chip. My guess is 3D cache is difficult still beyond 8 cores or not economical.
https://hardforum.com/threads/thoughts-on-am5-cpu-line-up.2021280/

Like I said on Aug 10th. So like you said? Did you beat my date then?

Seem on the upper side of the possible/expectation both for IPC and frequency (AMD presentation are quite nice, leaving the benchmark they do loose in and so on), could be quite worthy of an upgrade for the 3xxx users (but for some a 5800x3d or a 5900x-5950x will still be a great competition for the upgrade price).

Last edited:
"In the released line-up I noticed that after the 7950X and 7900X they drop down to the 7700X. I thought this puzzling as with the 5000 series we had no 5700X until very late and the same time roughly as the 5800X3D.
My crystal ball guess here in the 7800X slot will stay empty until AMD wants to release it as the 7800X3D exclusively when they feel the need to solidify it as the top gaming chip. My guess is 3D cache is difficult still beyond 8 cores or not economical.

https://hardforum.com/threads/thoughts-on-am5-cpu-line-up.2021280/

Like I said on Aug 10th. So like you said? Did you beat my date then?
Yeah I think 7800x will just be 7800x3d and thats it. Good move on their part really to simplify the product stack.

Seem on the upper side of the possible/expectation both for IPC and frequency (AMD presentation are quite nice, leaving the benchmark they do loose in and so on), could be quite worthy of an upgrade for the 3xxx users.
Cries in 2700x

I currently have a Zen 3 5800X so I'm going to wait for Zen 5...wait for DDR5 to mature a bit as well...I can't believe Zen 3 already feels old now with DDR5 and PCIe 5 available...

I have a 5800x, and will probably want to upgrade but not until I see some good MATX or ITX choices.

5800X here, too. Honestly, I doubt any of these will make much difference in 4K gaming. Maybe 1-5% and only with maintaining extra high FPS. Newer titles ARE starting to push the CPU a little more, though. The trick is, I'm giving this thing away and I don't exactly feel like buying dying tech to replace it. Will probably be looking at the 7900 or whatever Intel's high end is. There's no chance I'm buying anything (except maybe a case) until after Intel's presentation.

5800X here, too. Honestly, I doubt any of these will make much difference in 4K gaming. Maybe 1-5% and only with maintaining extra high FPS. Newer titles ARE starting to push the CPU a little more, though. The trick is, I'm giving this thing away and I don't exactly feel like buying dying tech to replace it. Will probably be looking at the 7900 or whatever Intel's high end is. There's no chance I'm buying anything (except maybe a case) until after Intel's presentation.
Yep, Even if raptor lake is a little faster that's it for that socket/chipset. AM5 will be good for a few years.

I think most people in this forum upgrade for the itch more so than necessity. My 3900x is 3 years old, I've routinely had the itch to swap it for a 5900/5950x just to max out this x570 platform. I have absolutely no performance qualms especially since my RTX 3800 is very largely my limiting factor at 3440x1440 at the settings and and games I play. So far, I've managed to avoid scratching it. I ran my last CPU for 7 years before upgrading and that was just a 4C/8T part, i'm sure I can stretch this guy out until AM5 is midlife, matured and the early adopter tax for DDR5 and the new chipset has waned.

I will say, I have every intention of upgrading my GPU to a 4080/4090 and if I see something like 80% GPU utilization because my CPU is the main bottleneck, that could get me to scratch that itch.

I think most people in this forum upgrade for the itch more so than necessity...

exactly...I upgrade my GPU frequently but I like keeping my CPU for years until I really need to upgrade...you see the same people here upgrading their GPU, CPU etc every single time a new launch happens mostly out of want vs need...and they'll say "I sold my current GPU and got 85% of what I paid for it"...total BS

exactly...I upgrade my GPU frequently but I like keeping my CPU for years until I really need to upgrade...you see the same people here upgrading their GPU, CPU etc every single time a new launch happens mostly out of want vs need...and they'll say "I sold my current GPU and got 85% of what I paid for it"...total BS
I usually get about 50-60% of what I paid for my hardware if I sell it to upgrade to the latest thing. That tends to cut the price of what I'm upgrading to just about in half. It's always let me stay current without breaking the bank too badly.

I usually get about 50-60% of what I paid for my hardware if I sell it to upgrade to the latest thing. That tends to cut the price of what I'm upgrading to just about in half. It's always let me stay current without breaking the bank too badly.

50% for a last gen GPU makes sense...

My two main pcs now, having ran threadrippers etc.... are 5800x, my sons rig,and my rig is a 6800h laptop.

Im very happy and am most likely waiting on zen 5 at this point but that multithread performance bump is juicy af.

But ill have to wait since I gotta drop 39k on a Kubota tractor for my property in the next month. Ughhh

I went from 5800X to 12700K and was pleased with the performance increase. I think I'll drop in a Raptor Lake and then wait to see what the next generation brings for AMD and Intel.

Not impressed at all with Zen4.

-6000/3000 is the NEW 4000/2000 IF speeds(some not all were able to hit 4000/2000mhz).
- BOOST Freq means NOTHING. Effective clocks do.
- X3D this gen BETTER not be locked for overclocking.
- 5.1ghz all core tells me 5.7 "Boost" freq won't be common hence why in the Keynote AMD stated "Up to" keyword.
- AMD EXPO is nothing more than XMP/DOCP

Waiting on 3rd Party reviews. AMD's first party benchmarks are cherry picked and BIAS not showing you the performance of their chips, rather the performance of their PLATFORM/Ecosystem.

Not impressed at all with Zen4.

-6000/3000 is the NEW 4000/2000 IF speeds(some not all were able to hit 4000/2000mhz).
- BOOST Freq means NOTHING. Effective clocks do.
- X3D this gen BETTER not be locked for overclocking.
- 5.1ghz all core tells me 5.7 "Boost" freq won't be common hence why in the Keynote AMD stated "Up to" keyword.
- AMD EXPO is nothing more than XMP/DOCP

Waiting on 3rd Party reviews. AMD's first party benchmarks are cherry picked and BIAS not showing you the performance of their chips, rather the performance of their PLATFORM/Ecosystem.
It was clearly understood that 5.7ghz would be single core. Of course it will start to drop frequency the more cores get used at once. Nothing different from what Intel does with. Everyone cheery picks and makes miss leading graphs to show their performance gains. No one should be taking any chip makers word and should always check several 3rd party reviews.

That was my feeling also.. considering how long AM4 has existed...

This is AMD's way of transitioning to the "socket change creep" that Intel strategy employs 🤣

Back