Will you upgrade to the S22 ultra?

Will you be upgrading to S22 ultra?

• Yes

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 47 75.8%

• Total voters
My Note10+ gets security updates until next year so I'll think about the S23 Ultra at that point.

Well, wife and I both have them, and we have zero issues, even through screen protectors.
Glad for ya, I know many that have issues with it, and Mathew Moniz video just did on the S22 Ultra vs the P6P and he even showed how bad it works.

Nope, I don't do flagships.
Also it doesn't have a SD slot or a 3.5mm jack so fuck their crApple copying ass.

I'm planning on getting the Moto G100 for 400-450usd which has both and atleast the SD870 for console emulation, shame I can't find the 12/256GB version. The only other thing I might want is a dual sim tray like my Redmi Note 9S, not sure if I can glue a sim chip to a SD card hack.

Nope, I don't do flagships.
Also it doesn't have a SD slot or a 3.5mm jack so fuck their crApple copying ass.

I'm planning on getting the Moto G100 for 400-450usd which has both and atleast the SD870 for console emulation, shame I can't find the 12/256GB version. The only other thing I might want is a dual sim tray like my Redmi Note 9S, not sure if I can glue a sim chip to a SD card hack.

SD cards are pathetically slow and dated tech. We don't need them when you can get up to a TB in the device now. If you need additional space, a USB-C drive can be used flash or NVME.

SD cards are pathetically slow and dated tech. We don't need them when you can get up to a TB in the device now. If you need additional space, a USB-C drive can be used flash or NVME.
I agree. I have no desire to have to deal with SD cards again.

I agree. I have no desire to have to deal with SD cards again.
I actually rather like the ability to simply remove my MicroSD card and move it to a new phone. All my media is stored there (so even without "connection", I have my tunes).

To me a flagship should be adding features, not removing them. Why pay through the nose for a phone that's just slightly faster, but has fewer features? Doesn't sound like an upgrade to me. I currently own a Samsung A71 5G, headphone jack, microSD, battery life that lasts for days, etc.

I let my daughter get the S21, but IMHO, it's a step backwards. I'd rather have the midrange phone.

SD cards work and add extra storage cheaply when phone makers jack up the prices per tier.

I actually rather like the ability to simply remove my MicroSD card and move it to a new phone. All my media is stored there (so even without "connection", I have my tunes).

To me a flagship should be adding features, not removing them. Why pay through the nose for a phone that's just slightly faster, but has fewer features? Doesn't sound like an upgrade to me. I currently own a Samsung A71 5G, headphone jack, microSD, battery life that lasts for days, etc.

I let my daughter get the S21, but IMHO, it's a step backwards. I'd rather have the midrange phone.
Agreed, I'm happy with a 870, it'll do emulation great up to PS2.
1.6k for a 1TB phone? Crazy, 3x the price for less features and a 2 gen jump in CPU.

Y’all can say no they aren’t all that you want, but SD card read/write data speed is significantly slower and the storage media itself is also less reliable. It’s like you guys are arguing against facts. It is convenient for photo or media storage? Maybe. But you guys are arguing that it’s not slower or less reliable! It’ll be faster and more reliable to be stored onboard nvme memory regardless of your opinions

No they aren't.

Can we please stop the back and forth?

It's true that microSD cards aren't that much of a hindrance when you're just accessing songs or photos. But they do affect load times for apps and large files... and they also introduce complexities for file management, backup and similar tasks.

I'd say that's part of why Apple hasn't ever offered removable storage in iPhones; yes, zero expansion helps with upsells to pricier models, but it also makes phone use that much easier. And frankly, built-in storage capacities are improving quickly enough that the case for microSD is weakening. Yeah, it's still useful for budget phones and entry versions of high-end phones... but for many people, 256GB or more is enough for the entire usable lifespan of a phone. Certainly if you thrive on streaming services.

I just use a USB-C NVMe enclosure for data transfer. Rarely over the course of a new phone's life have I ever actually needed to free up space, and on-device storage is fast af. It's so bewildering to see people moaning over SD expansion.

Y’all can say no they aren’t all that you want, but SD card read/write data speed is significantly slower and the storage media itself is also less reliable. It’s like you guys are arguing against facts. It is convenient for photo or media storage? Maybe. But you guys are arguing that it’s not slower or less reliable! It’ll be faster and more reliable to be stored onboard nvme memory regardless of your opinions
Exactly. Just some people refuse to research a little. lol.

I just use a USB-C NVMe enclosure for data transfer. Rarely over the course of a new phone's life have I ever actually needed to free up space, and on-device storage is fast af. It's so bewildering to see people moaning over SD expansion.
It's a useful feature. Just because you feel it's not doesn't mean it's not. I'm pretty sure I can make an argument for throwing your whole computer out the window using similar logic. This thread is bizarre beyond belief.

It's a useful feature. Just because you feel it's not doesn't mean it's not. I'm pretty sure I can make an argument for throwing your whole computer out the window using similar logic. This thread is bizarre beyond belief.
This.

Also, please explain to us why we don't really want or need a 3.5mm headphone jack next! It's humorous seeing people defending having less features for beneficial things!

This.

Also, please explain to us why we don't really want or need a 3.5mm headphone jack next! It's humorous seeing people defending having less features for beneficial things!
MicroSD card slots are useful, but unlike the headphone jack there are more practical reasons to leave them out besides "saves space" and "we like money."

Is it useful? Maybe. Is it better than simply having a larger, faster, more reliable onboard nvme memory? Of course not! Get over it. It’s also not like it costs all that much going from 128 to 256

As for headphone jack, usb-c can transfer more data faster than analog 3.5mm… and with power! Lightning however is bullshit because it prevents usb-c headphones from becoming more standard. Lightning is hurting the audiophile community by hindering the adoption of the usb-c headphone standard

Last edited:
I mainly like the headphone jack so I can charge, tether, transfer data and switch from my laptop to my phone without having to take my headphones off or mess with anything. While I know there are USB charge + 3.5 adapters annoyance at lugging more around. I did buy some decent wireless ones for my new work phone and in prep for my S22 but I'll end up getting just a C to 3.5 adapter as I cannot easily switch between devices. Have to unpair and repair. We'll see.

As reviews and benchmarks come out, the S21 Ultra is looking more and more attractive. The new chips from both Samsung and Qualcomm looks suspect.

I'm used to Apple holding a general lead over Qualcomm in performance, but this and other tests are still disappointing. There does seem to be a nice improvement in GPU performance in Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, but Qualcomm seems to have generally struggled to obtain meaningful increases beyond that. Get the S22 Ultra if it's significantly faster than your old phone or has features you want, like the cameras and pen; don't buy it expecting to have the fastest phone on the market, as even a $699 iPhone 13 mini will outperform Samsung's best.

I guess I'm weird in that I'm not trying to play heavy 3D games on an 8K display on my phone.

I thought about doing so recently, but once I did the comparisons with the Note 20 Ultra, I decided to stick with the Note 20 until next year and see what other phones come out.

I guess I'm weird in that I'm not trying to play heavy 3D games on an 8K display on my phone.

I don't play any games on my phones. I haven't really bothered since the iPhone 3-4. No real need or desire and most are shovelware anyway.

I had a Verizon Note 10+. Verizon gave me 1K as a trade in for my Note 10+, so I did upgrade to the S22 Ultra, but only cost me $300. That felt like an awesome deal to me. it was the 512GB memory size variant.

I had a Verizon Note 10+. Verizon gave me 1K as a trade in for my Note 10+, so I did upgrade to the S22 Ultra, but only cost me $300. That felt like an awesome deal to me. it was the 512GB memory size variant.

~$500 over ebay resale prices. Congrats! :)

Edit: Especially since VZW just sent me an offer to upgrade to the S22 ultra; offering up to $700 in bill credit over the next 3 years for a trade in if I buy the new phone for full price up front; and assuming my S10 qualified for the maximum amount anyway.

Last edited:
~$500 over ebay resale prices. Congrats! :)

Edit: Especially since VZW just sent me an offer to upgrade to the S22 ultra; offering up to $700 in bill credit over the next 3 years for a trade in if I buy the new phone for full price up front; and assuming my S10 qualified for the maximum amount anyway.
Yes!! I do not get lucky very often.

Yes!! I do not get lucky very often.
Though incredibly off topic, back in the day of the "2 year lockin", I would just wait for Amazon's yearly 1 cent sale, buy the latest flagship for a penny and lockin for another 2 years with my provider. Memories.

MicroSD cards can be fast f we're talking UHS-II + cards.

As for me, I wanted the S22 Ultra. The wife said no, since I had just bought the iPhone 13 Pro Max last year. :(

MicroSD cards can be fast f we're talking UHS-II + cards.

As for me, I wanted the S22 Ultra. The wife said no, since I had just bought the iPhone 13 Pro Max last year. :(
Your wife has the right idea... I can understand wanting two devices or even rapid-fire upgrades, but one up-to-the-minute flagship phone is probably enough. 😛

Offtopic with landfill relevance. In the server room, computing advances from generation to generation have become a lot smaller which means holding on to equipment longer. Gone are the days of the 3 year swap eyeballing 5 year life cycles, and nowadays, the concept of 7 year life cycles are even a consideration.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that we tend to create landfill by having to have the latest all the time. It was "good enough" 3 years ago, do you really need to upgrade?

With that said, there have been advances like "5G" (all definitions) and Google forces upgrades by deprecating old releases. The former I understand, the latter is planetary evil.

I encourage people to hold on to things rather than creating landfill if at all possible.

There are a few ways to take that though.

Those who continually upgrade to the latest often are trading in or selling their prior devices like a lease program.
Those phones fuel a second hand market for people who want a solid phone but cant buy the latest and greatest and may not trust the newer off brand budget options.

I tend to keep mine until it hinders my ability to do something beyond minor lag or something. My 5T is still fine, other than VOLTE from T-Mobile causes problems with bluetooth out of her car so I cant hear her at all. If I turn it off, I can hear her, but my phone will randomly decide to stop receiving calls or texts without any indication.

My S9+ is now EOL as far as security updates go. Verizon gave me $700 for it. I wanted to go with a Note type phone for a while as I like to take notes, so I went ahead and upgraded to a 256gb Ultra. I figured if I tried to wait another year, I wouldn't get anything for it, plus my battery is finally getting to the point it just doesn't last me all day anymore. I am also noticing some lag in a few scenarios.

That's not to say I don't have some gripes though. Phone is clearly big enough to have a headphone jack and an SD card slot. I've not really made use of the SD card slots, but having one is still a nice to have for those who do. And price is definitely dumb. I intend to just use this through its 5 years of security updates they are promising.

Yeah, Samsung is delivering what the "people want", which apparently is zero expansion and no headphone jack.

With that said, I have a Samsung mid-tier phone, A71 5G, which is probably not too far off S8/S9, I'm very satisfied with it. Has headpone jack and SD card expansion. 5G on T-mobile is fantastic. While it doesn't have the high quality DAC of a flaship LG (which LG killed itself), it's on par with typical Samsung.

People who think "lag" and "performance" are important aren't going to keep their phones for 5 years. Just saying.

I think if you can get one major upgrade during the life of your phone, you should be ok. People just don't keep them very long (and if they do, then today's low end phone is probably going to be an adequate replacement).

Back