Will you upgrade to the S22 ultra?

Will you be upgrading to S22 ultra?

• Yes

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 47 75.8%

• Total voters
There’s nothing wrong with that! I encourage people to use what makes them happy.

It would be nice to carry a dumb phone for non work related things. I should look in to that.
Texting can sometimes be a pain, but I'll never go back to a smart phone again. I've got a Sonim XP5, but there's two versions of it. The version I have doesn't have wi-fi calling. Which sucks because I live in the mountains with nothing and service is spotty. The upgraded one is like $150.

Texting can sometimes be a pain, but I'll never go back to a smart phone again. I've got a Sonim XP5, but there's two versions of it. The version I have doesn't have wi-fi calling. Which sucks because I live in the mountains with nothing and service is spotty. The upgraded one is like $150.
1644519059555.png

Anyone remember this bad boy? LG Voyager. Favorite "dumb phone" I ever had... and texting was EZ PZ. Also had a touch screen on the front for quick items or phone calls.

My S21 Ulra 5g is good enough for me . I got it free on a fluke. I am good.

Have a cracked screen Note 9 that's battery lasts about 1/2-2/3 of a day.
Considering Pixel 6 Pro and the S22 Ultra.
Leaning Pixel at the moment.

I love how email, notes and VVM is baked into iOS.
On Android you're stuck with third party apps.
The Samsung VVM app is OK but if you're on TMO it does not work and TMO's VVM app is a steaming pile of horse waste!
The only thing that keeps me using Samsung and Android is the Z Fold. I always thought a folding phone and its quirks added up to a high place on the ladder of gimmicks, but after using and owning one, definitely not! If/when (Apple) has a folding phone the rest will be history.
I thought folding phones were incredibly stupid until I played with the new Samsung one, but that big screen that pops out really is something else. When Apple releases theirs, I may consider it. It will probably work better than any other Android version of the foldable phones simply because of their hardware/software integration and their strict guidelines for app design and behavior on their OS. Right now on Android, apps either kind of sort of work or are terrible on the big screen, but it is getting better.

I'm still rocking a dumb phone. XD
I tried doing that just to see what it would be like. After a couple of weeks I wanted to gouge out my eyes.

Well, i went against my word I said in here and ordered the s22 ultra 512gb. Bought a pixel 3 on swappa to trade in to AT&T to get the $800 credit deal. Couldn’t pass that up. Keep my 13 pro max and have the s22 to play with or become my daily.

Well, i went against my word I said in here and ordered the s22 ultra 512gb. Bought a pixel 3 on swappa to trade in to AT&T to get the $800 credit deal. Couldn’t pass that up. Keep my 13 pro max and have the s22 to play with or become my daily.
I got metro and they of course aren’t doing anything for the 22U. TMO would give me $1000 for my iPhone 12PM but I can’t get it from them 🙄

Looks like the 1TB flavor ship dates have slipped to March 18th.
Also some reviewers are reporting 1TB models with 16GB RAM. Everything I've seen is 12GB.
It probably makes little difference but the fact that my S20 Ultra has 16GB as does the S21 Ultra. Seems like a downgrade.
Also my S10 has 1TB storage AND microSD card. And a ceramic back! I really miss the ceramic back. The white ceramic back reminds of a toilet tank! :-D
The only way I'd get the (Ultra) is if I had an older note and wanted the S pen back. The display looks great and the camera software is probably great too. They are offering $900 for Z Fold 3 users but I wouldn't trade it, in a few months the Fold 4 will be out. THAT will be worth it. JMHO

Until Samsung provides more value for money I'd never jump on the mainline. The FEs provide 95% what I need at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost.

Also it's looking like both the new SD and Exynos sucks. So glad I bought the S20FE 256GB at $400 brand new a few months ago. If I'm gonna pay $1k, I expect best of the best everything, not $1k for budget-specs.

If only Samsung DeX has a decent competitor, sigh... It's such a great productivity tool that it kinda forces me to stay with Samsung.

No. He said he bought one to trade in for an $800 credit, not that he paid that for it.
Got it.
Samsung offers like $30 for it.
Sounds like a bill credit with a three year payment plan.
I always buy unlocked to avoid being bound like that.
For those that plan on staying with their carrier and don't replace their devices every six months it's great and the plans are interest free.

I've seen some cpu and gpu benchmarks of the SD variant and it doesn't look much better than the 888. Hopefully the efficiency has increased.

So after stopping at the store and fondling a Pixel 6 Pro and Samsung S21 Ultra, I went with the Pixel 6 Pro.

Went to a franchised store and they stlil gave me $700 trade in for a Note 9 with a broke ass screen. $7 / mo I can live with for a new phone.

Until Samsung provides more value for money I'd never jump on the mainline. The FEs provide 95% what I need at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost.

Also it's looking like both the new SD and Exynos sucks. So glad I bought the S20FE 256GB at $400 brand new a few months ago. If I'm gonna pay $1k, I expect best of the best everything, not $1k for budget-specs.

If only Samsung DeX has a decent competitor, sigh... It's such a great productivity tool that it kinda forces me to stay with Samsung.
Actually looking at tests the Exynos 2200 seems to be nice step forward when compared to Exynos 2100. Less heat and much better sustained performance.

View attachment 443099

Anyone remember this bad boy? LG Voyager. Favorite "dumb phone" I ever had... and texting was EZ PZ. Also had a touch screen on the front for quick items or phone calls.
Yup, I had the Voyager for a couple years before the OG Droid came out and replaced it for me. That phone was awesome. I also had a program on my Windows XP laptop called BipPim that allowed you to access the file system of these phones and upload your own music and ringtones to it instead of being locked to paid ones on the Verizon app store. I also hacked it to do USB tethering with unlimited data via a dial-up connection effectively to Verizon's services, haha. Good times.

Actually looking at tests the Exynos 2200 seems to be nice step forward when compared to Exynos 2100. Less heat and much better sustained performance.

I'm more interested in what MediaTek has to offer. The Dimensity 9000's early leaks look to be beastly.

Yup, I had the Voyager for a couple years before the OG Droid came out and replaced it for me. That phone was awesome. I also had a program on my Windows XP laptop called BipPim that allowed you to access the file system of these phones and upload your own music and ringtones to it instead of being locked to paid ones on the Verizon app store. I also hacked it to do USB tethering with unlimited data via a dial-up connection effectively to Verizon's services, haha. Good times.
Haha, nice. The days when VZW locked out features that phones easily could have done back then... lol.

Thats voyager titanium lasted me till I got a Motorola Droid X.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I loved my Verizon xv6800 as an upgrade to my Samsung gleam flip phone... I then went to the original HTC Droid incredible and didn't upgrade again until the galaxy s3, which I replaced with an s6 briefly as the s3 mostly broke, and finally a Samsung A50 I'm happy with now :p. Wouldn't have replaced the s6 but I was switching carriers and could get the A50 for $100.

The galaxy s3 with a huge extended battery was my favorite, rooted for wireless tethering for my 11.6" laptop and later a Dell venue 8 pro tablet.

I'm more interested in what MediaTek has to offer. The Dimensity 9000's early leaks look to be beastly.
It would have been nice but unfortunately it looks like only Chinese phones will use it.

A sure yes to the poll for me.
Going from S21U to S22U - glad the S Pen is back. Its remote capability for photos was excellent.

It would have been nice but unfortunately it looks like only Chinese phones will use it.

The new phones from Oppo and Xiaomi would be really interesting. Unfortunate that i'm stuck with Samsung due to DeX.

Since LG dropped out of the race I've got no other choice for a phone with a active stylus.

I will hold on to the V60 as long as I can as it has a mSD, 3.5mm, and active stylus and I know the Samsung will not. But eventually the v60 will break or stop getting any updates. (Although root is now possible and people are working on getting it unlocked enough to run Lineage.

Submitted for a new work phone: S21 FE.
Went ahead and ordered an S22 for myself in blue.

Typical Samsung promo crap :( Nothing "in stock" so their help advises to skip add on's and they'll email a promo code when the phone ships so I can then order a charger and stuff. Absolute mess when I got my Watch 4 lol.

Still like my 5T but a few issues and I do take a fair amount of pictures (easier than lugging my SLR everywhere) so this should keep me for another 4~6 years. Now to await the hours and hours of setup and configuration and wondering why my phone wont unlock with the rear fingerprint sensor lol.

Submitted for a new work phone: S21 FE.
Went ahead and ordered an S22 for myself in blue.

Typical Samsung promo crap :( Nothing "in stock" so their help advises to skip add on's and they'll email a promo code when the phone ships so I can then order a charger and stuff. Absolute mess when I got my Watch 4 lol.

Still like my 5T but a few issues and I do take a fair amount of pictures (easier than lugging my SLR everywhere) so this should keep me for another 4~6 years. Now to await the hours and hours of setup and configuration and wondering why my phone wont unlock with the rear fingerprint sensor lol.
Here in Finland pre-ordereds start shipping tomorrow. Some even got shipping notifications yesterday.

Promotions were quite sweet this time: Galaxy Pro Buds, -200 € off and on top of that at least -150 € off if you exchange your old phone.

Here in Finland pre-ordereds start shipping tomorrow. Some even got shipping notifications yesterday.

Promotions were quite sweet this time: Galaxy Pro Buds, -200 € off and on top of that at least -150 € off if you exchange your old phone.

Nice! They wont take my phone but I can hock it elsewhere or pass it down. But even on day one their site kept changing was was available and what wasn't. First support guy said it was website issues and to try a few hours later. A few hours later and only a handful of accessories were showing on the site at all. This time support said its stock and to skip past and don't use the credit. When it ships they will send a coupon for the promo amount. We'll see, had horrid luck with the Galaxy Watch 4 pre order. Didnt get to use the credit at all hah. Though this time I will be following up with the chat that claims I can proceed this way. We shall see!

Got an email from Samsung since I have a line of credit with them work their pre-order promos. With a 10% military discount and offering $170 for my wife's Note 9, it brings an unlocked S22 down to $598. Meh, think I wait for a Pixel 6 sale or for the 6a for her at this point.

Isn't it just a notification from the Shop Samsung app? Just turn off notifications to that app and you're fine. It's like a whole bunch of people not reading or something...

I think not. Used to be upgrading every 2 years, but the S20 Plus is holding up well. It seems the pace of innovation and improvement in smartphones has slowed down.

Have a cracked screen Note 9 that's battery lasts about 1/2-2/3 of a day.
Considering Pixel 6 Pro and the S22 Ultra.
Leaning Pixel at the moment.
The fingerprint reader on the pro sucks ass

For the folks that get one, I'd be interested to know if the system apps still look/work like they're straight out of 2010. As of at least the S21, it's like they hadn't been touched since Android 6.

Back