Will you pay for a game with ads in it?

Will you pay for a game with ads in it?

• I will pay for a game that has ads in it. This is a trend I will gladly support with my wallet.

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • I refuse to pay for a game that features in-game advertising. The nerve of these companies...

Votes: 59 77.6%

• Total voters

ScretHate

[H]ard|Gawd
This thread is inspired by this thread in the hotdeals section: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1660121&page=18

in which people excitedly payed money for a game that features in-game advertising. When I brought up this fact, I was met with ridicule. I didn't know that people were so thrilled at the prospect of having ads in their games so I decided to create this poll. The game in question is Deus Ex HR, which has ads during the loading screen, which can be seen here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/oobey/screenshot/559793818484433989/?tab=public

Something like that I absolutely hate, but say a character is drinking a soda and it happens to be a coke, as long as it flows with the reality of the game I don't mind.

(Also if you want a poll, PM me and I'll add one.)

If it bothers you so much, dont support the game. I however could careless about the ads as long it doesnt get on my way of playing the game. GG

Something like that I absolutely hate, but say a character is drinking a soda and it happens to be a coke, as long as it flows with the reality of the game I don't mind.

Agreed.

As long as it's in context I don't mind really. I don't want to be playing Eldar Scrolls VI and have them drinking Heineken from jugs purchased from Target, nor do I want to see it during the load times. Modern era games it doesn't really bother me. Though something like GTA4 with its joke ads was actually far more entertaining than if they were real ads. Also, if the ads stand out strangely from the environment, that'd be annoying. Like, if its a wasteland with everything brown and drab, but somehow the Pepsi ad has remained clean and pristine, that'd be a bit retarded and immersion breaking.

Sure, as long as they are product placement ads (like pepsi / coke machines etc). Anyone who plays sports games already does that. Either way I don't give a shit. They are everywhere. The other day I was watching Back to the Future Part I and that movie was loaded with product placement.

As long as it flows with the game I really dont mind it. There are ads in R6 Vegas but they are in billboards on the street which make sense. I dont want to play BF3 however and see a coke ad on the Tehran map for example. However in the map Metro it would work in certain spots.

Ad on loading screens dont bother me.

I didn't mind it in wipeout 2097. I did a bit in wipeout HD because they advertized stupid crap, and it was the same ad every loading screen...

But as a general rule, no I wouldn't like it. I paid for the game with money. If they want me to see adverts, I expect it to be free.

If it's overt and detracts from my enjoyment of the game by being totally out of place then I'm not going to have any part of it. If they do it correctly and have the ads make sense in the context of the game then it's not an issue.

I didn't mind it in wipeout 2097. I did a bit in wipeout HD because they advertized stupid crap, and it was the same ad every loading screen...

But as a general rule, no I wouldn't like it. I paid for the game with money. If they want me to see adverts, I expect it to be free.

Sport games its a given adds atmosphere. I also like the RealGTA because it made the game feel more like real life. But I'm 100% against forced Ads that take you out of the game like that.

Last edited:
To me it's no big deal. Decades of online browsing have taught my brain to simply ignore ads. If a game with ads in it cost $5 instead of the $50 for one without ads I'd gladly pay the $5. And yes, it all has to be in game, not taking you out of the game. It also cannot disrupt the game play, i.e. watch this ad to progress or some BS like that.

Many games are already doing this and people are happily paying for it. I remember Battlefield 2142 having adds in MP games on billboards in the game.

I found it really annoying , I've already paid a premium to play the game now I'm being eye fucked with ads?

Like Microsoft is doing to Xbox Live Gold customers , slapping up tons of adds on the user interface with no option to turn them off even though you pay a monthly fee. Fuck these company's.

Just like on my phone, I will suffer adds on Free applications, but not on paid apps/services.

I'm not saying I like it, but I've paid for it before. If the game is good I don't care if it has ads for the Buzzers dick plastered all over. Gameplay trumps dicks.

This is being presented as a very black and white situation, whereas the reality is quite different. For instance a game advertising in the corner of its main menu or maybe a scrolling marquee that the new DLC is out is quite a different scenario than one that is actually playing full screen ads. Many users might actually want a game to include the former. Likewise many people might actually prefer that the games main character use samsung galaxy to make a call, drive his BMW, while carrying a glock as opposed to items designed to represent those but with differences to avoid image rights issues.

Also advertising actually has been in games for quite awhile, all those splash screens and logos inserted into them were never for anything else other than branding.

But if you want to make it an absolute black and white situation, than you'd find it difficult to find games with literally no advertising tied to them, and even other paid products.

This is being presented as a very black and white situation, whereas the reality is quite different. For instance a game advertising in the corner of its main menu or maybe a scrolling marquee that the new DLC is out is quite a different scenario than one that is actually playing full screen ads. Many users might actually want a game to include the former. Likewise many people might actually prefer that the games main character use samsung galaxy to make a call, drive his BMW, while carrying a glock as opposed to items designed to represent those but with differences to avoid image rights issues.

I think it's pretty black and white in the sense that either the publishers are paying to use a brand or whatever in order to increase the realism of the game, or else a brand is paying the publishers to be exposed to the players. Any time the publisher is earning additional revenue by exposing me to ads or brands, there had better be something in it for me (i.e. a lower retail price for the game). Outside of sims where the type of plane, car or perhaps gun etc is important to the gameplay, I have zero interest in the brands being used.
Although, I don't really count ads for 3rd party technologies used by the game or DLC notifications, because that's all to do with the game itself.

doesnt matter to me as long as it doesnt interfere with gameplay

What do you consider an ad? Is an AMD or nvidia logo considered an ad? I think the poll options are a little black and white... apparently you are glad to support it or you refuse to buy a game with ads. You can very well not like it but still buy the game.

Sticking an ad on the loading screen doesnt bother me at all. As long as my game isnt interrupted in any way, I have no problem with it. So I vote no big deal.

I understand the rage though as it seems everything these days has ads plastered all over it and you cant really even watch TV anymore as 60% of the show is commercials! I remember when there used to be a commercial break every 15 minutes on a TV show. Now there is literally one every 5 minutes.

Nope. If it is free then maybe. I get tired of seeing ads in things I paid for. I don't want to see an ad in a game that sells for $60 and I don't want to see it in a DVD of a TV show or movie that I bought. :mad:

What about advertising in certain games that it is an expected part of the environment, like say, baseball, football, and basketball games? Not to mention racing games.

I don't think it's bad in games like that, because it's a part of recreating the realistic atmosphere.

I find in game advertising in other genres to be in bad taste unless they somehow make it amusing or do it really creatively that it stands out, yet doesn't detract from your enjoyment of the atmosphere, then I wouldn't mind.

But if we're talking in your face advertisements, then fuck no, ban them all.

Depends on where the ad is. I think that DXHR ad is a bit stupid. It wont stop me from buying it eventually, but I am in no rush. Blatant adverts are annoying. Ads that fit within a game world (franchises in sandbox games, billboars in racing games, ect) dont bother me one bit.

Popups, no thanks, unless the game is free.

Product placements are cool, and can add to the game. No reason a soda machine needs top be generic. Might as well make it a Coke machine or what not. Having a real ad on an in game billboard in a city environment is cool as well. Even a load screen ad is OK, as long as it does not increase the length of the load screen more than 5 seconds, and they don't increase the number of load screens to increase the number of ad slots in a game.

If everyone is reasonable, it can work.
Advertisers are seldom reasonable, so in game ads would liukely become an unwieldy mess in almost no time at all. It is the future, so, I guess we will see how it goes.

don't mind too much as long as it is not intrusive.

i am for more money going towards the dev team & publisher so they can churn out more good games(like DX: HR!!!!)

Given the choice above I'd pay for real world ads NOT to be there.

If I recall, that's what Hellgate: London offered as a "feature" for signing up. But it was common in alot of shareware-type games too, if you registered, then you weren't pestered by ads. But if it's fantasy advertising, then that's cool... and if it's especially creative then it adds to the immersion.

It does matter where and how the ads are placed. If its a banner on a loading screen, that doesnt bother me at all. If Im actually forced to sit thru a commercial before a level starts, thats something totally different and Ill be the first one with the torch and pitchfork.

Exactly. I wouldn't support anything further than some realistic implementation of real life products in a game. If it's outright advertising? Hell no.

You need a third option in your poll. "Yes, I will pay for games with ads, if they lower the price accordingly."

I don't mind if they use advertising if they want to make a game ad supported. Now, I'm not talking the POS television model, where we get five minutes of show, five minutes of commercial, but within reason I wouldn't mind. On loading screens and things like that, sure show me a advertisement instead of your stupid splash screen if it'll save me some money.

However, if you don't like ads at all, and all the devs start doing this, what are you going to do about it? Quit gaming? No, you won't. As much as gamers might threaten to, they won't.

I can't stand in game ads. That said, I can't vote in the poll because it feels like a referendum on the Deux Ex ads, and I couldn't care less about ads on loading screens. I just bought Deux Ex in fact and have no regrets.

Only thing that bugs me about the Deus Ex ad is the fact that I bought the DLC being advertised and the ad is still there.

As usual Oldie, you pretty much summed it up perfectly.

eh, make sure you turn off your tv, since chances are you are paying for cable, and product placement is the norm. personally I don't care. getting advertisers to pay them money means less reliance on consumers for company survival, so I say go for it. ultimately I am not affected by any ads, as I lead a simple life and don't buy any of the bullshit I see advertised.

All the people who voted no better not own any games with this at the beginning:

twimtbp.jpg

Last time I checked, that's an advertisement.

Oh, and how many logos are displayed all over the computer parts you bought? Or the mouse and keyboard you're using? Your monitor? Your clothes? Your car? You think the companies put those logos on for fun? It's another form of advertisement, and you're paying for it.

I kind of agree here, I don't mind so much if modern day games have characters drinking coke or using ericson phones or whatever, that doesn't really bother me so much, as long as it's natural and not them holding the coke up to the viewpoint and saying soemthing corny like "ahh, so refreshing".

The only problem with this is you could argue that it's "real" to have in game advertising on billboards like in BF2142 and Enemy Territory because it exists in real life, the problem with those games is they were both futuristic and it's out of place.

Both ways it's disgusting I'll be honest, it's just STINKS of selling out and putting money before creative design, we wouldn't paint a coke can into the mona lisa and we shouldn't do it in something like Deus Ex.

Any games that have advertising that can be easily blocked, like when it's streamed live from the net, I'll block it, 2142 and Enemy Territory had that and I plain didn't buy either of those games SPECIFICALLY because they had billboard advertising in it, but if I felt the game was too good to miss, then I'd block it, loads of ways to do that breaking the law or EULA in any way.

If you ever went to a movie you probably already did this. You think it is a coincidence all those people are using macs in movies?

The problem is games are art and entertainment and both of those things are something you can never have enough of, and on top of that every one is unique so in a sense you want to play every game ever made just to see what it is like. Because of that you can clearly see the gaming industry has no limit to what it can do to screw you over. This trend will only grow because at the end of the day if you are interested in a game and want to play it bad enough you will probably let it sleep with your wife. The only question is does a particular game have enough interest to try to pull a fast one on you. BF3 is a great example same with COD people will look at these games and call them innovators because they experimented with screwing the clients over more than most and they pulled it off because people wanted them so bad.

The thing gaming companies must think about is that if you go to far you may ruin some part of your art or experience. That is when you will most often see a backlash in the from of low review scores and people opting not to by the next game in the series.

Back