Will you buy the G92 high end?

Nemik8800

Limp Gawd
Well basically I'm asking this question to survey the actual demand for this card. Will you buy it or do you think what you got is fine?

If the AMD/nVidia war continues as it has now for the last couple of years, i.e. nVidia dominating IMHO and the part, what ever its called (they have a new naming scheme) is actually good, even if expensive, then yes. Actually, right now only one game that I have that needs more than on 8800 Ultra at 1920x1200, and thats Crysis of course, but I think I'm going to love this game.

I really don't care if its nVidia or AMD, I go with the next best high end card thats well received.

If the AMD/nVidia war continues as it has now for the last couple of years, i.e. nVidia dominating IMHO and the part, what ever its called (they have a new naming scheme) is actually good, even if expensive, then yes. Actually, right now only one game that I have that needs more than on 8800 Ultra at 1920x1200, and thats Crysis of course, but I think I'm going to love this game.

I really don't care if its nVidia or AMD, I go with the next best high end card thats well received.

what makes you think Nvidia has been dominating over the past couple years?

Its been pretty mixed results as far as I can see:

The 8800 certainly outperforms the 2900, no real explanation needed we've all seen it.

The X1900 got here earlier and really in all honesty outperformed or at least performed on par with the 7900. Also the 2nd and 3rd best SKUs went for really awsome prices. Of course the 7600 was far superior to the X1600.

The X1800 was pretty well on par with the 7800, but it was late. So I donno who I'd give that round to.

the X800 and X850 were superior to the 6800. Nvidia really pushed their 130nm technology out of spec and the result was more 6800s were returned then any other card I've ever seen.

and of course, the Radeon 9 series was also much superior to the FX line from Nvidia, maybe not so much (or at all) at the high end, but certainly at the midrange.

I've got two 8800GT's. No. It'll take me (hopefully) two years before I convince myself that I need to buy new card(s).

the X800 and X850 were superior to the 6800. Nvidia really pushed their 130nm technology out of spec and the result was more 6800s were returned then any other card I've ever seen.

That is debatable. SM3.0 capable card (6 series) vs slightly more powerful SM2.0 card (R420).

I don't know how any one can answer this question yet. When I see a HardOCP G92 review with Crysis benchies, then I'll give you my answer.

yes i will buy it or the one just below it, i always do. and if what guys post on this forum is even a little true, most everyone else will, too. why not? all iread for months was guys wanting the "8800 refresh" or "9xxx" or "g90 series" not a single person even knew what it was. i dont think nvidia will have a prob unloading a few new cards, here and there. ive got 2 8800gt's also. i will probably upgrade before the summer, or earlier.

Well basically I'm asking this question to survey the actual demand for this card. Will you buy it or do you think what you got is fine?
I certainly won't be getting a G92, as I already have a GTX. I'm not sure what you mean by 'high end', since the GT and GTS are the only confirmed G92 cards, and they're not really 'high end' (a new GTX based on G92 is still just speculation).

I'm waiting for the D9E (9800) due early next year.

i currently have a 8800gtx and i can run all game at 1900 x 1200 w/ the highest setting.

I don't see a huge deal for a higher end card for myself unless there is a 40-50 % increase in performance.

Just got to wait unlease it is release and i see the benchmark to make my decision.

I would need to see this new card compared to 8800GTX in SLI.
If it was better, of course.
Or until the games out run what I have currently.
I usually wait two or three months after the thing hits the sellers, the price is stable and the choices are better.:D

What card are you guys actually talking about? :confused:

The G92 is EIGHTH Gen, including the current 8800GT and upcoming revised GTS and possibly a revised GTX.

The NINTH-gen cards (9800?) are NOT based on G92.

These are NVIDIA's new codenames:
D8M: Eighth generation mainstream, previously named G98
D8P: Eighth generation performance, previously named G92
D9M: Ninth generation mainstream
D9P: Ninth generation performance
D9E: Ninth generation enthusiast

I'm waiting for D9E, due early next year.

I will buy the card if it is better than 8800GTX in SLI, and at a "reasonable" price, and with enough memory to drive 2560x1600.

What card are you guys actually talking about? :confused:

The G92 is EIGHTH Gen, including the current 8800GT and upcoming revised GTS and possibly a revised GTX.

The NINTH-gen cards (9800?) are NOT based on G92.

These are NVIDIA's new codenames:
D8M: Eighth generation mainstream, previously named G98
D8P: Eighth generation performance, previously named G92
D9M: Ninth generation mainstream
D9P: Ninth generation performance
D9E: Ninth generation enthusiast

I'm waiting for D9E, due early next year.
Bastards changed their names on me. *edits title*

I'm currently planning on getting a g92 based card, however, depending on how early "early next year" is, I *may* be able to wait for the 9800's.

I'm still running a 1st gen athlon 64 3200+ and a 9800xt. I was planning on going balls deep on a complete overhaul around Christmas time.

Maybe, I'm unsure yet. More than likely at least whatever is equlivant to the GTX now, not the Ultra or KO, OC versions.

Yes because "My name is Mike and I have a hardware problem" :D

I wait for D9E or whatever the real high end card will be named, and a beautiful EK waterblock to go along with that card.

Yeah, I might wait until the D9E instead.... because soon next year, we'll all be talking about how much the 8800GT sucks in DX10 games.

If it comes with a silent cooling option (heatpipe) I would look at this series. Otherwise, I won't even look at g92.

I'd rather wait for the D9E then jump on the G92 parts.

I'm rockin an X800 Pro right now and was planning to do a complete system update in January 08 - I'll upgrade with high end parts for sure.

x800 pro, damn...

G98 going to be nuts both in performance and price, lol

I won't upgrade for a long time yet. I just bought a bunch of older titles (Deus Ex, Unreal, Morrowind, etc) to add to my already long list of games I haven't had time to play through. It won't be until Fall that I have more time to play games, so I'll wait to see what R700 has in store before buying D9E.

Furthermore, I don't think D9E will be out as early as other people are suggesting. I think a dual-G92 "single-slot SLI" card will be the Q1 "enthusiast" part, which will hold NVIDIA over for a while longer. If you really need performance that badly, go for 6-way SLI :p. The D9E might not come out until there's a real threat (ie R700) on the horizon, so I'd say Spring at the earliest.

No doubt I'll be shocked at the price, drool at the performance and somehow manage to justify buying one even though I will think it costs too much :p

Yes because "My name is Mike and I have a hardware problem" :D

Which means I'm going to the same meetings as Mike here.

Funny, ever since I tried LotRO in DX10 and experienced the same disappointment as [H] recently suffered, I've been itching for the next generation high-end card(s).

I'll be replacing my 8800gtx SLi setup with the next generation from nvidia as soon as it becomes available. Have my pennies saved up and I'm refraining from buying other toys from which I'll receive less enjoyment.

(yes, I'd consider ATi if their next gen competes, but at this point, I suspect nvidia's next-gen part will continue to dominate)

I will buy the card if it is better than 8800GTX in SLI, and at a "reasonable" price, and with enough memory to drive 2560x1600.

Same here...

Not being able to run Crysis at 2560x1600 on a single GTX is a bummer. I can't wait till the new gen card is released so I can take a crack at Crysis. Thankfully I have COD4 to hold me off in the meantime :) .

Back