Votes: 61 12.3%
  • Yes - upgrading from something much older

Votes: 199 40.2%
  • No - Everything I have at the moment is good

Votes: 223 45.1%
  • No - I like AMD and it's good for the moment

Votes: 12 2.4%

• Total voters
If IB averages 5.0 on air on reasonable volts, I'll grab one and sell off my 2500K to make up most of the difference as long as the price delta isn't extreme. If not, I won't bother.

Along the lines of SB-E vs SB or IB.....people seem to get too wrapped up around the core count, similarly to the mega pixel race in digital cameras. I mean right now, there just doesn't seem to be a big need for more than 4 cores. Software is not keeping up with hardware, things like photoshop actively only use four threads. And imo, people who have SB dont need to upgrade to IB unless your that must have current release type of person.

I am waiting for Windows 8 to be released... so I only have to reinstall everything once....

Well seeing as how SB isn't a big enough performance increase for me to upgrade to that, I don't see IB being much more than SB; therefore I'll wait it out.

i am coming from a quality q6600 build so yes i have upgrading to ivy.. i cant wait.. and ssd too !

Upgrading my i7-860 system to Ivy. Giving said i7-860 to my step brother who is currently running an E2180.

maybe, but only if they make a motherboard that looks like the DX58SO, but overclocks like a beast, has a smooth bios/uefi like Asus, has a girthy number of power phases, supports tri-sli, intel gigabit lan, a complete lack of realtek anything, and yeah.

I've heard 10-15% better IPC than Sandy tossed around the internet, is that untrue?

With a die shrink from 32nm to 22nm why wouldn't we be seeing better overclocking capabilities? Look at the die shrink from 40nm to 28nm on the AMD video cards and they're overclocking like I've never seen before on a video card. Am I missing something?

Not asking you to break NDA or anything (if you have one) but ... clarify?

4-7% IPC improvements are the general accepted numbers. The 10-15% numbers you're hearing are also probably taking into account the higher stock speeds.

There are several limiting factors to overclocking. Those are heat, voltage, and architecture. In Sandy Bridge's case, the limiting factor for SB is its architecture. It can be reasonably inferred that IB will suffer from the same limitation as well, although we cannot know that until it is actually released. It will overclock better in the sense that it will require less voltage, power, and put out less heat, but it may not overclock higher.

I plan to! I've upgraded every time a new platform comes out only because I work near a micro center. Just can't seem to stop myself whenever they have their promos.

First off lone AMD guy I salute you! Originally planned to stick to 1366, but selling my processor alone allowed me to get a nice 1155 / Z68 setup, definitely love the power efficiency. Not sure about IB, maybe when more processors and boards come out, definitely a fan of more native Intel stuff, despise third party controllers normally found on consumer boards.

EDIT

For example the glorious SATA 6G controllers on most 1366 boards that are actually slower than the native SATA 3G Intel ones because the way it was designed.

Last edited:
Seeing as I'm the type of person that only does a major pc overhaul once every ~4 years or so, no, I will not be getting IB. I'm perfectly content with my new i5 rig and probably will be for a couple years now. :)

Frankly speaking, years later I'm still struggling to convince myself that an OC i7-920 is a significant bottleneck.

nehalem is just that good. if you bought a 920 at release you lucked out with the right fricking decision.

buying ivy bridge for you would be like upgrading from the top 1.5% to the top 1%. the magical 5ghz number might convince 920 owners. but they probably dont need it

...except for the power bill. ivy bridge might pay for itself in the power bill. even sandy bridge could

nehalem is just that good. if you bought a 920 at release you lucked out with the right fricking decision.

buying ivy bridge for you would be like upgrading from the top 1.5% to the top 1%. the magical 5ghz number might convince 920 owners. but they probably dont need it

...except for the power bill. ivy bridge might pay for itself in the power bill. even sandy bridge could

If you run your CPU at 100% load 24/7 and plan on keeping it around for 10 years, it may end up paying for itself.

We'll see what prices are like, I just got a 2600k for a great price. If Ivy has good prices and shows a noticeable performance gap. Then I might sell the 2600 and pick up an Ivy and just run it in my P67.

My system is almost 4 years old, so definitely upgrading to Ivy Bridge. Already have a new PSU and CASE ready for it :)

I'm upgrading from a 5 year old system so i'll definitely be upgrading to IB. the power efficiency will be worth it for me.

I didn't pick a voting option as I need to wait and see.

If Haswell (or possibly Broadwell) makes it to Socket 2011, then I'll skip IB-E. If not, then yes I'll upgrade to IB-E sometime down the line.

AMD 925 OC'd is fine for me right now. Haven't had a problem running BF3. When the prices start dropping for ivy i'll probably reconsider.

I'm finally just jumping to i5 2500k coming from a phenom II x4 940. I'll have some precious time with sandy first, so ivy can wait :)

IB and Kepler should get me thru the next 5 years. Going all Intel for the first time since '03, so kind of sad but excited at the same time.

I voted IB but it will really come down to:

1) How far SB prices may drop based on perceived superiority of IB
2) If the IB prices are much higher than current SB prices

My computer system is so ancient that going to either chip would be a huge upgrade but I'm not sure I can wait for the new socket IB components...

I'm hoping there won't be issues with using Ivy's in Sandy motherboards. Hopefully just need a BIOS update. I just nabbed a 2550k for 160 from microcenter so i'll get an ivy if i can get a similar deal there.

I am waiting for Windows 8 to be released... so I only have to reinstall everything once....

This is sorta' my mindset as well. I didn't upgrade my PC until I had a copy of Windows 7 available. The machine before that went to Vista from Windows ME. The one before that was purchased upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows ME (if you can call it an upgrade.)

My hardware upgrades seem to coincide with my operating system updates. It makes things a LOT easier!

Frankly speaking, years later I'm still struggling to convince myself that an OC i7-920 is a significant bottleneck.

I have the same and while I tell myself I don't NEED to upgrade, my new laptop has an i7-2630QM, 8 gigs of DDR3 1866 and an OCZ vertex 3 SSD. It feels significantly quicker in every way than my desktop.

The only thing my old 920 seems to be able to do marginally faster than the 2630 is encode a MPEG video down to MP4 format. I'm wondering if that's purely the fact that the 2630 can only clock itself up to 2.2 ghz and if it could go higher, it would far exceed the encoding performance of the 920?

I'm curious if the overall quickness with the OS is due to the laptop having 6 gbps speed vs the desktop's 3 gbps. Both use SSD's and the desktop was recently wiped so fresh OS on the laptop isn't what makes it feel faster I wouldn't think.

Seems like for the $$, I could just keep the 920 and upgrade to one (or two) of the new Radeon 7870's and have blistering gaming performance (which is more or less the most important aspect in the grand scheme)

I'm currently working with a E5400 Dual core at 2.7. I've been looking to upgrade for ages and was sold on the Sandy Bridge 2600k; was hoping to reach 4.5 on air! XD I was going to pair it with either a 6970 or 6990 on an ASUS Z68 board. What kind of advantages/gains would I see going with an Ivy Bridge of the same rating? o-o; If it's just lower heat and better wattage efficiency, then it would seem Ivy Bridge is the right way to go? Assuming pricing options were similar if not better.

yes, because I'm stuck on a C2Q 6600 and no point in upping to what will be "last gen" in a few months

I'd prefer to hang on to my hardware considering the most strenuous tasks I do are web browsing with multiple tabs open :D

However I'll wait and see whether the early adopters think IB is worth the upgrade over SB. Otherwise I'm waiting for Haswell.

I'd prefer to hang on to my hardware considering the most strenuous tasks I do are web browsing with multiple tabs open :D

However I'll wait and see whether the early adopters think IB is worth the upgrade over SB. Otherwise I'm waiting for Haswell.

Regardless of what early adopters say or think, if web browsing is all you do i twould certainly not be worth it for you.

No, I don't have any problem running any games. No reason to upgrade until sometime after next gen consoles come out.

Interesting read, and pretty much in line with what people have been speculating.

Back