Will you be able to "fix" a Windows 10X laptop?

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10x/246157/windows-10x-for-single-screens-leaks

I saw this and was somewhat disappointed, but not sure how it will play out.

"Windows 10 S" sucks, because you are limited to the app store unlike a real computer. The best part of Windows 10 S was that it was easy to disable "S Mode" and convert the install into a regular install of Windows 10. This is what I've done for countless people, many of whom bought their laptop without actually having a full understanding of the limitations that came with Windows 10 S, which basically forces them to become Microsoft's bitch.

So that makes me wonder where we will be at with Windows 10X. Will you be able to take a Windows 10X laptop and convert it to a standard Windows 10 laptop, either by converting the existing install or potentially installing Windows 10 from scratch? Or will these likely be super locked down? Of course this assumes that these laptops don't come with a 64GB SD Card as their only form of internal storage.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10x/246157/windows-10x-for-single-screens-leaks

"Windows 10 S" sucks, because you are limited to the app store unlike a real computer. The best part of Windows 10 S was that it was easy to disable "S Mode" and convert the install into a regular install of Windows 10. This is what I've done for countless people, many of whom bought their laptop without actually having a full understanding of the limitations that came with Windows 10 S, which basically forces them to become Microsoft's bitch.

So that makes me wonder where we will be at with Windows 10X. Will you be able to take a Windows 10X laptop and convert it to a standard Windows 10 laptop, either by converting the existing install or potentially installing Windows 10 from scratch? Or will these likely be super locked down? Of course this assumes that these laptops don't come with a 64GB SD Card as their only form of internal storage.
You will always be Microsofts bitch no matter what version of Windows you use. The solution is to dump Windows.

putting full windows on a 10x device will come down to specs. as far as upgrading, its a chrome os knock off. so its gonna be so dumbed down that you probably wont be able to upgrade it to full windows 10. low end devices (for schools) will have low end storage as they are online devices like chromebooks. just under ms' thumb instead of googles....

For the OP, no, but they are supposedly tinkering with a VM type thing to run native Win apps. Tho on the Win10X hardware targets that may not be particularly exciting as they are gonna be low-end things.

I'm still trying to figure out the market for this. OK sure cheap laptops and competing with low-end Chromebooks but why.. Chromebooks have a massive ecosystem to pull from. You're not going to gain any traction with 'Web Apps.' People don't set particularly high expectations for Chromebooks, but they expect Windows to be Windows. Besides, isn't this MS's *third* attempt to enter this space?

You will always be Microsofts bitch no matter what version of Windows you use. The solution is to dump Windows.
Wouldn’t be a windows thread without B00nie coming in telling you to trash Microsoft and go with Linux. I look forward to these comments, it’s a staple here. And good advice.
OP- I’m sure Microsoft will fix their boo boo. I’m sure the did not intend for S to be converted.

The main idea behind Windows 10S, is not too bad when you try to limited someone's (kids?) PC.
So, yeah this is not for everything but is a bit "custom" and I appreciate it

I’m sure the did not intend for S to be converted.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...mode-faq-851057d6-1ee9-b9e5-c30b-93baebeebc85

To increase security and performance, Windows 10 in S mode runs only apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to permanently switch out of S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode, but you won't be able to turn it back on. If you're blocked from switching and your device belongs to an organization, check with your administrator. Your organization can choose to keep all devices in S mode.

(They then show the steps to switch out of S mode)

The main idea behind Windows 10S, is not too bad when you try to limited someone's (kids?) PC.
So, yeah this is not for everything but is a bit "custom" and I appreciate it

To be clear, Windows 10X and Windows 10S are not the same thing. I just compared them in the first post because they are both attempts by Microsoft to push out an OS that is similar to Chrome OS and both restrict you to the Microsoft Sore.

I agree that for someone who needs serious hand-holding, like the same kind of person who actually clicks on links in unknown emails, this might be a good thing. But in my experience, I see tons of people who just wanted a cheap functional laptop and got suckered in by the price only to find out that they got a seriously neutered device.

To the question that is the topic of this thread, I imagine you will be able to "fix" it the same way you "fix" a chromebook. If Microsoft does this right, it won't be like S mode to Home Mode conversion, but will be different enough that a full-blown re-installation would be needed. Now, if Microsoft comes out with some hardware for this, and has it fully unlocked to easily install your own licensed Windows 10 edition, that would be a nice feature. I can fully see that happening, and if OEM's get on board, them making it a selling point!

Back