Will you attempt to purchase a GT260 or 280 on Launch Day if reviews look good?

Will you purchase an Nvidia 260 or 280 on launch day if it meets expectations?

• Yes, even if it is slightly above retail price on launch.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Yes, but only if it is available at MSRP.

Votes: 39 19.2%
  • No, I will wait for AMD reviews a week later and choose.

Votes: 84 41.4%
  • No, I don't want / can't affor these cards right now.

Votes: 51 25.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sethk

2[H]4U
We've seen some preliminary numbers from these cards - this is all speculation, but if the cards perform as expected and reviews are positive, and prices are in-line with what we expect, will you be willing to buy a 260 or 280 on day one (if they are available)?

If I see actual game benchmarks, and they outperform my 8800ULTRA sli setup by 25%, then yes.

From what i hear 2x the 9800gtx speeds, so if that's true then F-YES

I've been waiting to get rid of my 8800GTX for what feels like an age now.

Tentatively yes. I would love to see what ATI has to offer, but I am sitting on an almost completed build just waiting for a card.

If I see actual game benchmarks, and they outperform my 8800ULTRA sli setup by 25%, then yes.

We are pretty much in the same boat. But I won't be buying until the end of August, and by then the new ATI card will be out.

I am currently getting ready to build a new rig (just need a few more parts) and am just dying waiting for these damn things to come out. I was gonna get a EVGA 9800 GX2 and just step up, but now I think I will just wait a couple days and see some benchies, just hope they are not TOO hard to get at release.

@ Xaeon
You and me both... I have an almost complete build waiting for these cards to be released.

I've moved over my 8800GT to my LAN box, so my main rig is currently out of commission. I'm going to wait, however, on ATI's offerings. The GTX280 looks like a real winner, but we'll see what the reviews/benchmarks before I shell out $500+ for a new video card.

I have a 9800GTX I can step up to but I can wait on that til August before I step up since I bought it mid May. First things first, I need a new motherboard for 45nm quad goodness + PCIE2.0 and get my watercooling parts set up. That being said, at 2560x1600 it looks like GTX280 is my only hope for long-term (as in 1 year+) of gaming reasonably, I just hope it doesn't require SLI cause I'd hate to go 790i.

I will wait to see what AMD brings to the table. I really don't want to spend more than $300 anyway.

@ Xaeon
You and me both... I have an almost complete build waiting for these cards to be released.

Oh man, doesn't it just get more and more complicated?

First I am going to go with current gen SLI, but I see that the nvidia chipsets range from just ok to downright terrible. Then I see that there are new cards coming out that will blow away current gen...

So I think "great! I'll wait for the new ones and forget SLI." So here I am, all confident that there will be a solution great for me coming in less than a week (I hope).

But now there are all these doubts placed in my mind about the new ATI cards potentially being almost as good for less money. I was sure I was going to get this build done in the next week or two and now I am back to doubting myself.

/sigh

Meh. I need some good games to be able to take advantage of that raw horsepower. I voted to wait for AMD though, after all.. if the 4870 is close, and a hell of a lot cheaper, i wouldn't mind.

Oh man, doesn't it just get more and more complicated?

First I am going to go with current gen SLI, but I see that the nvidia chipsets range from just ok to downright terrible. Then I see that there are new cards coming out that will blow away current gen...

So I think "great! I'll wait for the new ones and forget SLI." So here I am, all confident that there will be a solution great for me coming in less than a week (I hope).

But now there are all these doubts placed in my mind about the new ATI cards potentially being almost as good for less money. I was sure I was going to get this build done in the next week or two and now I am back to doubting myself.

/sigh

Yes it does! I am building a new rig after almost 6 years of the one I am on and I am incredibly anxious to get this together. I ran out and bought a Q9450 at Micro Center like a month ago when they were incredibly hard to find and I just want to know if it's defective, which it probably isn't.... but the suspense is killing me.

I am with you on deciding on ATI ro nVidia... I have always had nVidia, but if the new ATI's are good then I may end up going that way. Too many decisions!

if it pwns my gx2, then yes. just prayin the best is available for my step up before mid july. :)

Since my funds are limited for my new rig, I'll either buy a 4870 or a GT260. I'd like to get a 260, but if the price is too high then I'll go for the lower 4870.

I'm looking forward to replacing my 7800gtx!

What are you going to play to make use of these cards????

I have three 8800 GTX cards that can stare down anything available.

I just bought an x48 board on a hunch that ATI has a winner up their sleeves. I hope I'm correct.
At any rate it's going to be fun looking at all the reviews next week.;)

Well, I've been looking forward to the 4850, but I'll wait to see reviews and how the new releases affect the prices of current cards.

One of the G92 cards will be my fallback, but now I'm starting to think that even if the 4850 delivers better price/performance, I might pick up an EVGA G92 and hope prices on the GTX 260 come down or Nvidia releases a sub $300 card (like a theoretical GTX 240 or 9900GTX/GTS die-shrink?), so I can afford to step up by September.

TBH, I feel I should just get an 8800GTS or 9800GTX. I love the looks of the 9800 for some reason. Black is my favorite color. Besides that, I'll be upgrading from a 7900GS OC so I know the increase from that with either card is gonna be night and day for me.

I'll wait til reviews pan out, see what tomshardware has to say about the cards and then if I feel the need, use my step up 3 months. from now.

like several others have mentioned, I'm in the process of putting a new build together and planned on purchasing all my components this month. I had originally planned on going 9800GTX SLI, but will wait till the new cards come out to see some comparison benchmarks. IMO Tom's Hardware has gone downhill the last couple years and I no longer view them as good resource for technical reviews.

Most likely going for a 4870. Upgrading from a X1800XT so I'll be quite happy. If the 4870 really, really sucks (i.e. the rumors of 40% over 9800GTX are way off), I'll cough up the $450 for the GTX 260. :\

Sadly no, my AMD 3800+ is already bottle necking my 9600GT.
Need a new mobo and CPU first D:

I've been riding on an 8800 GTS 320MB since I sold my 7800 GTOC to a kid who needed it for an SLi setup.

Anything is an upgrade and I always took issue with ATi's heat output on their cards.

Pretty much I'm buying 1 (maybe 2) GTX 280's as soon as they are freaking availible to be bought from tiger or newegg with overnight shipping and rush delivery. It's pretty much certain that the 280 will be the fastest thing out and I gives a damn if there is a 50% price premium over its 15-35% difference over the 4870.

To be able to absolutely max any game with 16xAA and 16xAF at 1080p at 45+ min frames is what I am aiming for and my 8800GTX simply can not do that. I damn sure know 2 280's would do that.

I just upgraded to a 3870 last week so no I won't be buying one. I don't have the money and I'd need a full system upgrade to make it worthwhile (CPU/RAM/MOBO/PSU)

I'm still interested in seeing what the new cards can do though. I'll probably get one of them (or a variant of them) early next year when I do a full system overhaul (mmm....Nehalem :))

My step-up is good for 20 more days so unless the 4870 is out by then and EVGA all of a sudden starts offering ATI cards I will up to the 260 or more likely the 280.

They seem to have priced these out of my price range. Perfect time to buy a G92 though!

I'll wait for the reviews first. I'm more curious about this GT200b coming in September though. And I'll see what ATI has to offer as well.

I'm going to buy two GTX 280's without review advice. There's no doubt that the GTX 280 is going to be the fastest single core GPU ever made and at least this time around I'm all about speed. The 4870 and 4870X2 sound very interesting, but there at least six weeks away and the 280's will pretty much keep the sig rig rolling for a year.

Definitely buying one of them, just not sure which yet... undecided if I need the power of a 280 vs. what the 260 will offer, but if I can hop in at MSRP on launch day I'm going for one :D.

If we consider step-up as a purchase, then yes i have nothing to loose of that as the premium for that step-up is so small to a 280 GTX from 9800Gx2 and secondhandvalue mutch greater than a 9800Gx2 when 280 GTX is out and secondhandvalue of an EK 9800Gx2 is pretty decent.

IF later HD4870X2 is better hands down i sell the 280GTX and get me a 4870X2 but the 4870X2 has to be different from 3870X2 and 9800Gx2 and more like a singe GPU card that performs 100% in any game and don´t requier CF/SLI to work at 100% level and only reallifeperformance is valid and no crappy 01-06 "game" that say nothing about nothing. I also could not care less about lowrez, only 1900x1200+ is valid for me and AA/AF is required.

But i almost suspect that X58 and nehalem is not far after some delay of 4870X2 rev2 anyway so if the benchmark is just right and driver mutch better than previous then 2x4870X2 is not to impossible during 2009 for me.
Just like when 8800GTX was released it is better having fun all the time rather than waiting and waiting and loose time that made 8800GTX the best ever buy it was IF you purchased it in nov 2006.

I plan on buying one, but I'm going to wait a month or two until EVGA or someone makes a superclocked model.

I'll get the 4870 if its not too far behind the GTX 280 in performance, since I prefer the best price-to-performance ratio. If the GTX 280 is exceedingly faster than the 4870, I'll buy it (but with a lot of cringing at the projected price).

4850 coming this way. Going in an SFF, so it has to be single-slot. I was going to pick up an 8800GT OC or 9800GT, but now I'm thinking I'm glad I waited. :)

i just built my new rig and stuck a $20 ati 1300 in until the 4870 comes out so that i can use this new build. this is my first ATI purchase and can't wait to call it spider :D

tnt2>gf2>gf6800gt

I have a feeling that the FS/T section is going to be filled with 8800's soon.

Back