Will WoW work on Vista?

cuemasterfl

Supreme [H]ardness
Before I even think of getting vista, I need to know if the one game I play (WoW) will work ok. Does anyone have Vista yet and is playing wow?

Ive not had a problem with D3D games in Vista RC1 I don't play WOW. but if WOW doesn't work on Vista it will be the last mistake MS makes.(Exaggerated I know but kind of true) Not smart to piss off that many people.

yes it does from what I have read.

CREATIVE DOESN'T HAVE VISTA DRIVERS YET!!! So it's onboard sound only atm.:mad:

yes it does from what I have read.

CREATIVE DOESN'T HAVE VISTA DRIVERS YET!!! So it's onboard sound only atm.:mad:

Creative does indeed have drivers out, they have had them for a while. Look on their site. The drivers arent a full suite but it works with my 7.1 speakers and has a basic contol panel. Most games that I tried worked great (Halo, WoW, Source Engine, Oblivion). The only problem is that SLI doesnt work on the 7950 GX2's in Vista so performance still isnt as high as XP.

I ran it in Vista from my XP partition just to test it the other day, worked fine. The framerate was a little worse than usual(just a few frames), and there was more frame droppage than usual when going to a new area or from indoors to out, but that's probably down to beta video drivers.

It should work but don't expect excellent gameplay as Vista is rather buggy at the moment and not alot of companies like nVida haven't many new drivers for vista atm and so it won't run the best. Keep that in mind.

Considering how agitated WoW players get when they're forced to put it down for more than six hours at a stretch, I'd think Vista support is probably a safe bet :D .

I have some sound issues on my laptop and Vista x32 and slight frame rate issues ...haven't tried it in Vista 64 yet though as I just rebuilt the raid last night.

I'm running Vista 64 and WoW runs just fine. No framerate issues at all. Runs the same as in XP.
Specs in sig.

Well, it installed ok, but I can't apply the udpates without getting a blue screen and the machine locking up. Any ideas? My account type is set to Admin as opposed to Standard User.

I tried right clicking the file, and choosing "Run As Administrator" and it worked. Now I am doing the same to the other patches. My account is an admin account though (not standard user), so why would I have to do this? Thanks for the info.

Its an extra layer of security. If you are used to *nix systems, its simlar to a root level access. Even an administrator requires to enter a root or sudo command to aply some changes in Linux, OSX or Unix based systems.

I understand. I'm not used to *nix systems, but I can only see this as a good thing :) Thanks again!

I just wanted to bump this and confirm that after cuemasterfl's tip on how to patch it is running like a champ on Home Premium 64bit.

Back