Will we see 22" SIPS / PVA / MVA Monitors anytime soon?

sethk

2[H]4U
I know the low prices and relatively large sizes of the 22" TN panel monitors has helped a lot of people buy new monitors, but for people who don't mind paying a bit more and don't necessarily need the extra real estate (2nd monitor duty in my case), I'm wondering if anyone will release a monitor using a non-TN technology. The vertical viewing angles are bad enough under normal usage, in my planned usage of landscape mode for the 2nd monitor I really would prefer a non-TN technology. Will I be forced to stick with a 20" monitor? Hopefully someone releases a "premium" 22" monitor soon.

You'll probably have to stick to either 20" or 24" since for a monitor manufacturer to be able to release a 22" that's not TN based there would actually have to be 22" panels available that are not TN. None of the big 3 or 4 panel manufacturers are making 22" panels in anything other than TN.

Short answer.. no.
Long answer.. see above ^^
Cynical but truthful answer.. not as long as people are still wowed that they can get a 22" for about the same price as a 20". Whatever sells the quickest and for the most profit is what manufacturers will put on the shelves.

are TN panels really that bad? I mean my brother has a 226bw and I dont mind it.
No, the newest generation TN's are improved (depending on what company makes them) from what used to be available but they still have shortcomings when compared to the more expensive technologies. For someone who is not too picky and has never used an IPS panel...a TN is fine.

are TN panels really that bad? I mean my brother has a 226bw and I dont mind it.

I don't think 22" TNs are so bad, but there are some uses for which they are not ideal. I plan to use it in portrait mode, and TN is horrible at this - I know, because I tried it before.
For many "normal" uses these new 22"' TNs are fine, but for portrait use, and for those bothered by shifting colors and contrast as you move up and down in your chair (I use my computer all day and sometimes slouch down, sometimes sit up) and some graphic work, arguably SIPS is better. This is just my observation from my own use and going through dozens of monitors of my own and for others at work and home.

Horizontal viewing angles are much improved, almost to the level of VA panels, but the vertical angles are still terrible.

Newer TN's are not bad so long as the panel is semi calibrated properly.

Back