Will Vista Push YOU to Linux?

Will Vista push you to using Linux.

• Total voters

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
For me, I think it will...

After using the latest builds of Vista, I must say that I do not like what I'm seeing. The hardware requirements are outrageous, and its performance on even fast machines is lacking. I've converted to Linux on half of my machines allready, the only machines that are still on Windows is my main desktop (for games), and my parents computer (for...parents). I think that Vista will make me abandon Windows all together and load Linux all around.

I have to say in M$ behalf that its still a Beta build but still I understand that it is a huge power hog. See I can't say that it has made me go to Linux since I'm already moved to OSX but Windows is so boring anymore I would like to try Linux before Vista. I think alot of the general public will stick to Windows because that is what companies pay for and thats what consumers are use to.

I would move to OS X before linux, mainly becuase I have a powerbook and I love it, linux is lacking in alot of the pro apps and games.

KoMiT said:
I would move to OS X before linux, mainly becuase I have a powerbook and I love it, linux is lacking in alot of the pro apps and games.

I would too, but I don't have enough money for a Mac. Even if I sold my Desktop I would barely have enough to buy a Mac mini equiped to my liking.

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
I'm already there :) :) :)

I converted fron XP about a year ago, hell, I even got my PARENTS using uBuntu :)

I was thinking of trying to have my parents use Ubuntu.

acascianelli said:
I was thinking of trying to have my parents use Ubuntu.
Quite Simple. I got my dad used to OO in about a day. My mom was a COMPLETE nub, so I just made each of them a toolbar with their most accessed programs, and they couldn't be happier :)

I already have, I though "Why deal with the MS monopoly when linux is capable of everything I want it to do and more."

I like Vista from the 5803 beta.

The more important question is: will linux pull/convert me as a desktop user? No, not yet.

I'd have to say no because I'm already heading to linux .. only thing that is keeping me haning on to windows is my games
:(

Don't need Vista to get me to Linux, I'm already there. I'm probably going to buy an Intel Mac (maybe when they release a 'G' tower :D ), and just keep my current boxes running Zenwalk and WindowsXP.

I've fiddled with Linux for some folding rigs and my laptop is dual boot, so I've got some knowledge, but I'm far from converting full-on to Linux. When Vista comes out, I'll keep using XP as long as possible, not only because it's what I'm used to, and it's fairly stable, but I'm definitely not going to shell out more money for another OS.

the mac mini is DIRT cheap, esp the old ones on ebay/here/craigslist of people selling trying to get the new one,

I sold mine to buy a powerbok G4

I just started using Linux a couple of weeks ago. The only reason i'm going to keep a XP install is for gaming. So i really see no need for Vista.

The only thing keeping me on Windows is games.

If I stop playing BF2(basicly once ETQW is out), I may dump Windows entirely.

Personally I don't see too many stand alone copies of Vista being sold. Most people will not want to upgrade their entire pc just to have Vista. Except for the crowd that thinks it will end their spyware/popups/virus issues. Which it may improve. Who knows.

The only reason I would have for getting it would be for gaming if games no longer run on Windows 2000 or XP. Even then I would probably try Cedega before I would submit to microsoft.

I'm not anti-microsoft, but I just don't see the need to fork over the money for it when Gentoo does everything I need for free.

I wasnt really around for the realease of like win2k and winxp, but im betting people saying that hardware requirements at the time of release were off the wall. Mac and linux prob got like 10new users, cause within a year or so hardware had surpassed the minimum for winxp. Just saying temp problem with hardware being a big thing with vista, cause intel right now is really pulling ahead of amd. Amd for sure is going to have to play catch up soon, they're prob going to release the m2 or w/e that new thing is and all the current a64 chip prices will fall. Soon after the release of the final vista, i would not be suprised if hardware requirements are considered for users with archaic computers.

I will continue to use XP (until it's outdated) and linux, both side-by-side.

There will be no reason for me to use Vista, as I'm already familiar and somewhat experienced with linux. Once Vista is mainstream, I expect to be completely comfortable with linux/*nix platforms.

In my opinion, I think Vista is overrated and the improvements are unnecessary for those who don't use/require them. ;)

Whats the point of getting Vista if the first thing you (or I) do is turn off all the fancy stuff so that it looks more like Win98 or Win2k. Then what do you have? Just security features that stop you from doing what you did before.

Nope, I like Vista and plan on getting the Ultimate Edition as soon as it comes out. For a while I used Windows, OSX and Linux side by side. I ended up selling the OSX and Linux systems because I never used them. I want one box that can do everything I need. Games and hardware support were the main sticking points for me. Until OSX or Linux support the vast majority of hardware and software out there, I am not going to switch.

Yes; until then, I'll stick with XP.

Vista is a joke.

locutus24 said:
I wasnt really around for the realease of like win2k and winxp, but im betting people saying that hardware requirements at the time of release were off the wall.

Win2k ran faster than previous versions, provided you had at least 128MB of ram.

It will not push me to linux. I'm not that smart. I'll be using the two side by side.

ThreeDee said:
I'd have to say no because I'm already heading to linux .. only thing that is keeping me haning on to windows is my games
:(

Yep :( I don't imagine I'll use Vista, just stick with XP, but I'm hoping to split my main box into a gaming box and a using box (as it were :p) sometime soon. I'll probably have the better hardware in the gaming box, but use the other one more.

I'm already using linux which shares drive space with windows xp which is used for school work (have to use visual studio .net and ibm db2) and games. for everyday things, excluding games, i use linux which does everything i need/want from a computer.

Vista will not move me towards Linux. In fact, it will move me further away from Linux because of all the new features in Vista.

That and Linux requires too much crap to be configured via terminal and everything. What did I have to do to install my nVidia drivers? I had to close gnome (/etc/init.d/gmd stop or something like that), then I had to apt-get gcc. Then I was able to run the nVidia setup but it said it couldn't find libc (it was there though) so I told it to go head and it said it couldn't find the cc compiler (that was also there, I tested it) and it gave up. With Windows I just double click and hit next a few times.

IMHO, Linux is far far away from being a good desktop replacement.
saturnine2 said:
Due to the included DRM, I am pretty much expecting it to.
Considering the DRM included will limit you to certified HD displays for HD content (otherwise it'll be downgraded) and that it can prevent others from opening documents that you set to include the DRM, it's not going to affect many at all. I don't see what the huge deal is.

Yeah it sucks about HD being downgraded to an uncertified HD monitor but I'm sure someone will have a work around in a week and most will be certified anyway.
DragonNOA1 said:
Whats the point of getting Vista if the first thing you (or I) do is turn off all the fancy stuff so that it looks more like Win98 or Win2k. Then what do you have? Just security features that stop you from doing what you did before.
Vista is more than a GUI /w security features. The kernel has been re-written from the ground up, Drivers now exist in user space so if a driver fails, you won't get a blue screen, just a nice little warning. The entire driver subsystem can be restarted while still in windows. DirectX 10 will also include higher performance and OpenGL has been improved (ships with 1.4 I believe compared to the 1.1 or 1.2 XP shipped with).

I could go on and on with the new features that don't directly affect security or the GUI though the GUI is pretty sweet.

The DRM is in the discs! It's not put there by microsoft.

If you want to watch HD-DVD or Blueray in OSX and Linux you can't. Not until they put in support for it.

It even affects set top players too. They will require HDCP TV's and you have to use HDMI or DVI. If you use component it will downgrade the signal.

So the DRM you are so worried about is not a microsoft thing. It's an MPAA thing and it affects all hardware in some way.

No it wont make me change over. As others have said, I will stay with XP till, I can no longer play my games. While Linux has improved over the past few years. It still has a long way to go. Right now I just dick around with it.

Windows never pushed me to Linux. Needing a C compiler did, but certainly not for my desktop needs. Linux's inconsistencies did push me to FreeBSD, however. :)

Why would it?

It's an operating system, not a political association or religious group.

I can almost guarantee that in my field I will have to use Vista, upgrade to Vista, and support Vista. (as well as other platforms).

Kris said:
IMHO, Linux is far far away from being a good desktop replacement.
Agreed, in a limited aspect. If you are a corporation with X needs, and and there is a corp that speciailizes in making a linux distro for X, then you will be very happy with it.

It's ultimately customizable. So for targeted, specific uses, it would work fine. For general consumer desktop use, it's not ready.
Considering the DRM included will limit you to certified HD displays for HD content (otherwise it'll be downgraded) and that it can prevent others from opening documents that you set to include the DRM, it's not going to affect many at all. I don't see what the huge deal is.
There is a knee jerk reaction to DRM and MS. I must admit, I don't trust them at all, so I don't like it much either. However, I do understand the benefit in a corporate enviroment of DRM.
Vista is more than a GUI /w security features. The kernel has been re-written from the ground up,
And this should be scaring you, me and everyone else. Brand new code? On something this large? Common sense and MS's history dictates you wait for at least the first service pack ( probably the second ) before you jump on board.
Drivers now exist in user space so if a driver fails, you won't get a blue screen, just a nice little warning.
Which is nice, I agree.

I voted 'yes', but it was sorta a moot point. I only use xp for gaming now, and I could live with out games if need be. I will not be jumping on board the vista bandwagon. Already I have linux boxes doing such things as tv, stereo, phone work, so the desktop system is already sorta a console.

Count me as another vote in the "no" column - for now, at least. Until a preponderance of the games that I want to play use OpenGL instead of DirectX, Windows will likely always be on my hard drive. I might in the coming months make more of an effort to move my main desktop system to Linux, but that remains to be seen. I've been using Ubuntu on my laptop with some regularity for a few months now, and I have to say that I like it. The geek in me loves to tinker with all kinds of system settings, and get new things working, but at the same time I have a tendency to waste too much time with that to the detriment of things I should actually be doing :p

Even if I were to move to Linux as a full-time desktop OS, the realities of school and work will probably dictate that I have to have Windows around somewhere in order to get certain things done.

Back