Will vista have issues if I move from an HT proc to a dual core?

Boltaction

Gawd
So I finally bit the bullet and I am building a new system.

4GB DDR2800 (2 dimms)
Biostar P35
Antec SP2 500w
Evga 8800GTS 640
2x 250GB SATA
Intel 630 processor + CNPS9500

Of course netburst has to gtfo, but I am waiting for the price cuts. Question: Will Vista Business 64bit edition screw up if I, say, buy a shiny Dual core come the end of july? I assume HT is transparent to the OS and it will basically treat the upgrade as nothing new, but I wanted to check.

I was worried about the issues that used to happen in XP if you moved from a single core to a dual core.

The only "issue" you're going to have is watching how smoothly the OS runs with dual cores instead of that piddly ~10% benefit of HT. :) Just a CPU swap should not trigger a need to reactivate in any way. As long as everything in the system remains the same and just the CPU is changed, you should be fine - note the "should be" because no one knows 100% for sure what will trip activation, if at all.

You won't have any issues at all, really, only a better running and smoother experience with your PC, especially if you're doing multiple things at once.

Vista is designed to not fuck up in the event of a hardware change, unlike XP. In theory, you could even replace the motherboard and have it still work. I have yet to see if this is true, however.

Vista is definitely much better at picking up new hardware changes, so it should work fine. As mentioned, you may possibly have to re-activate.

Thanks for the great advice everyone, I appreciate it. Isn't this simply a great time to buy computer components? It feels like another renaissance. :)

Just my 2c..

I upgraded from an Athlon64 4000+ to an X2 4800+ a while back. Vista detected the new hardware and continued to work as normal. I didn't have to change the pc type to multiprocessor as I would have in XP - and it didn't prompt for re-activation.

What XP issues?

I upgraded to dual-core from single core when still running XP and didn't have to do any configuration whatsoever. XP detected and used it just fine.

The only "issue" you're going to have is watching how smoothly the OS runs with dual cores instead of that piddly ~10% benefit of HT. :) Just a CPU swap should not trigger a need to reactivate in any way. As long as everything in the system remains the same and just the CPU is changed, you should be fine - note the "should be" because no one knows 100% for sure what will trip activation, if at all.

You won't have any issues at all, really, only a better running and smoother experience with your PC, especially if you're doing multiple things at once.

10%!!!! ha ull be lucky!
Did a load of benchmarking tests last year with different CPU's (exactly the same Simulink model and IT system build)

On a P4 2.8GHz HT on/off the difference was: 26m 1sec & 26m 41sec
just really not worth it. I have the results if anyone wants

because no one knows 100% for sure what will trip activation, if at all.

thats true! lol. I've added hard drives, add-in cards, taken some out, booted in linux, all kinds of things.

I changed my video card from ATI 9800pro to ATI X850pro and it asked for reactivation.

not only XP but microsoft office XP as well.

What XP issues?

I upgraded to dual-core from single core when still running XP and didn't have to do any configuration whatsoever. XP detected and used it just fine.

Don't you have to go to the device manager -> computer -> update driver and change from ACPI uniprocessor to ACPI multiprocessor?

Unless your single core had HT in which case the multiproc kernel was already installed...

Never had to when I replaced an A64 chip with an X2 chip. The thing was recognised correctly and functioned correctly as soon as the machine was fired up!

Back