Will Titan X be the fastest Nvidia card released this year?

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
Hi guys im thinking of diving in and grabbing 2 Titan Xs and selling off my 980s, Mostly outta of boredom. Do you think Titan X will be the fastest card until Pascal is released next year?

Hi guys im thinking of diving in and grabbing 2 Titan Xs and selling off my 980s, Mostly outta of boredom. Do you think Titan X will be the fastest card until Pascal is released next year?

Spend the 2 grand on hookers and blow instead.

GTX 280 launch date: June 2008
21 months
GTX 480 launch date: March 2010
8 months
GTX 580 launch date: November 2010
15 months
GTX 680 launch date: March 2012
14 months
GTX 780 launch date: May 2013
16 months
GTX 980 launch date: September 2014

If the GTX 480 had been released 6 months earlier, every x80 release would be 14 to 16 months apart. Fourteen months after the GTX 980 release is November 2015; I would think Nvidia would be loathe to miss the holiday season, and even more loathe to go terribly late again like they did with the GTX 480. But... they have a new flagship line to insert between the x80 releases:

GTX Titan release date: February 2013
GTX Titan Black release date: February 2014
GTX Titan X release date: March 2015

Ignoring the dual-GPU Titan Z that released a month after the Titan Black, we have what appears to be a yearly release pattern. The next Titan should then release between February and April 2016. This doesn't mesh very well with the past x80 release cycle. I am a bit confounded that it takes less time to release a Titan than it does an x80. Sooner or later one of those two patterns will have to change or they will start not making sense.

GTX 780 Ti release date; November 2013 - 6 months after GTX 780.

With so little history to go on, we might have expected a GTX 980 Ti in March 2015, but we got the Titan X instead. The Nvidia rumor mill (which exists on some very strange websites now) has the GTX 980 Ti delayed until 2016, which collides badly with the rather reliable release cycle of the x80 line. But March to November is a rather long time for no new high-end video card release from Nvidia, so perhaps they might wait until July 2015 for the GTX 980 Ti.

Pure speculation time. An overclocked GTX 780 outperformed the GTX Titan, and the GTX 980 easily outperformed the GTX Titan Black, so one might expect the next x80 to outperform the Titan X. On the one hand, the Titan X is quite different from its predecessors and is so much more focused on gaming that I wonder if the next x80 will outperform it. But on the other hand, could Nvidia be significantly ramping up the performance increase beyond the usual 20 percent per generation in order to catch up with the demand for 4K performance? It's pretty clear that video cards need to be at least twice as fast as the current generation to make 4K playable on a single GPU (to say nothing of 5K, and 8K which seems to be not so far off as we might have thought), and waiting another 4 or 5 generations for that is not going to cut it, so Nvidia and AMD really need to step it up. But all the rumors are talking about significant delays in the product lines rather than accelerations.

Where was I? To answer the OP's question: I don't think anyone thinks a 980 Ti will be faster than a Titan X, whenever the 980 Ti does get released (if it gets released at all, because the Titan X might be the 980 Ti). The next x80 shouldn't release before November 2015, and it may be significantly delayed. The step up in performance from the GTX 980 is so large that it's difficult to imagine feeling disappointed any time soon.

Edit: And now, not a day later, everyone thinks the 980 Ti will be the same stock speed or faster than a Titan X. It's easy come, easy go on the rumor mill.

Last edited:

Judging from the previous history there should still appear Titan XX, a dual Titan-X-GPU card with 24 GB VRAM. Just like Titan Z has shown up as a last firework of the previos architecture.

Another issue is if replacing graphics cards is the best cure for the feeling of boredom. Maybe some other problems should be fixed first?

It looks like you are looking something better than the Titan X, not for a scaled-down version. Judging from the previous history there should still appear Titan XX, a dual Titan-X-GPU card with 24 GB VRAM. Just like Titan Z has shown up as a last firework of the previos architecture.

Another issue is if replacing graphics cards is the best cure for the feeling of boredom. Maybe some other problems should be fixed first?

We can only guess.

My guess is yes, it will stay as the top offering for some time, not including a possible dual chip card.
The Die size is massive and Nvidia has cut back on FP64 performance to fit more graphics performance into that chip.
Nvidia is pushing the limit of how big a chip it's possible to manufacture, and I don't see how they could cram more performance in while staying at 28 nm.

Additionally:
Nvidia has still not fully populated the 9xx lineup, as there is a big gap between the performance of current IGP offerings and the GTX 960.

With the current 9xx lineup and the titan X, there's a massive gap between the 980 and the Titan X, it would make sense for Nvidia to fill that gap with a cut down version of the current Titan X, imagine something around 2k5 shaders and 6 GB memory at ~$750.

So my guess is that Nvidia will use the time until next manufacturing process shrink to fill out the rest of the 9xx lineup and prepare for next gen, which will arrive with 14 nm.

I honestly think at the end of this year or beginning of next we will see a Maxwell refresh with a smaller process node and much better performance/power efficiency. Maxwell wasn't suppose to be on 28nm so if they can get it out again on a smaller node it will probably prove to be a good move for them. Especially with AMD not knowing what to do to get back in the performance/power driver seat. If they do this I hope for a dual gpu card for my M1 :)

Edit: With rumors of Intel providing Nvidia with a smaller node, I am really thinking this will happen with Pascal so far off still.

Spend the 2 grand on hookers and blow instead.

I have to say that after watching The Wolf of Wallstreet I really felt like I missed out on some of the best parts of life not doing hookers & blow.

I have to second rinaldo's advice. It is the most logical path. No way it could go wrong.

As for Pascal nVidia pegged it as a 2016 product. They will likely start with a low end card (risk mitigation) like they did with Maxwell and increase the die size gradually. I would guess Q3 or Q4 2016 for a card that will meet the Titan X for performance.

Last edited:
With the current 9xx lineup and the titan X, there's a massive gap between the 980 and the Titan X, it would make sense for Nvidia to fill that gap with a cut down version of the current Titan X, imagine something around 2k5 shaders and 6 GB memory at ~$750.

The rumored 980Ti with 6GB will fill that gap nicely.

Nvidia isn't really in control here. TSMC is. I don't see a 16nm gpu happening in 2015. The titan-x is already maxing out the die space available for 28nm. I do not believe nvidia spent any time with 20nm. So that's not going to happen.

Then as everybody has already stated, you aren't going to use a big design to be the first one on a new node. You use it for your smaller gpus. So you can workout all the bugs w/ the new process.

That all being said, I don't see any way nvidia could release a faster gpu than the titan-x within the next 16months. What that would take it staying on 28nm, and doing another stepping to get higher frequency. However I don't see that happening and what would be the point? I doubt it would recover the cost to do it and it would most likely have a higher TDP than titan-x.

I think the only chance of something beating the titan-x in the next 1-1.5years is something from the red team.

I'm thinking Oct +/- a month for the holiday season if so.

Doubtful. The first time they dropped the Titan it was 2 months later that a GTX 780 came out. That chip was cut down so it might not be the same comparison, but I don't think they're going to wait until the end of the year to release the GTX 980 Ti. I'd beat on no later than June.

All they need to do is take the steam out of the 390X June announcement. AMD has no other card past that so there would be no point in worrying about the 6-9 month gap between June > March 2016 when Pascal releases, if not a little sooner to get these fat chips shrunk.

no, no it will not

Once the 390x comes out nvidia will release something to match it

Titan x already uses full gm200 die - the only way to make faster card is something with higher clock speeds.

So full overclocked with no limits bios Titan X will likely stay fastest nvidia card,

The rumored 980Ti with 6GB will fill that gap nicely.

Google translate... learn to read Swedish.

EDIT:
980 TI is the name that makes sense to shove onto that card.

My guess is that Nvidia is waiting for AMD to move on the 3xx cards, as they will probably shift the perf/pricing setup of the market, and it gives Nvidia time to build up an inventory of "failed" GM200 chips.

But as I wrote earlier, does not look like higher than Titan X from Nvidia performance is around the corner.

Unless they release a dual GPU card, or say f it to power use and release a higher clocked version, but that is probably up to the partners.

Last edited:
Unlikely. A cut down Titan will be released well before then. Nvidia is king of milking.

As the rumors suggest 980 Ti will very likely be a Titan X just with less VRAM. They will wait until Titan X sales taper off though, which shouldn't take that long (probably by summer), there's only so many people willing to pay $1K for a GPU.

Hmm, I was already planning on a $3k budget on a full skylake build ( Just pc parts and new case ) I think im gonna sell the 980s and go with 2 Titan Xs until Pascal. Im not going to consider any AMD offerings due to my ROG Swift. I guess im off to ordering 2 and im going to purchase them Direct from Nvidias site, Is that a Bad idea? I didn't see any instock at Newegg earlier.

Hmm, I was already planning on a $3k budget on a full skylake build ( Just pc parts and new case ) I think im gonna sell the 980s and go with 2 Titan Xs until Pascal. Im not going to consider any AMD offerings due to my ROG Swift. I guess im off to ordering 2 and im going to purchase them Direct from Nvidias site, Is that a Bad idea? I didn't see any instock at Newegg earlier.

I ordered one from nvidia today, to replace my current gtx titan. A couple months ago I just got a new Dell U3415W, so I needed with more power to push the higher res.

Looks like the 980ti will be the fastest Nvidia card this year.

I would stay away from Titan X until it comes out.

Looks like the 980ti will be the fastest Nvidia card this year.

I would stay away from Titan X until it comes out.

LinusTechTips SLI review pretty much showed 6GB was more than enough for even 4K as of now. Of course that'll never be good enough no matter what people say for some, but the Titan X is a sick goddamn joke for what we already knew was going to happen (980Ti).

LinusTechTips SLI review pretty much showed 6GB was more than enough for even 4K as of now. Of course that'll never be good enough no matter what people say for some, but the Titan X is a sick goddamn joke for what we already knew was going to happen (980Ti).

Yap. 12gb is good for people with 4k surround or 5k surround.

Otherwise you don't need 12gb. Sure you can make it use that much, but thats just an extreme 0.000000001% who will need it.

Bring on the 980ti!

"The GeForce GTX 980 Ti would arrive late summer or after summer, so probably in September. It would be the last single-GPU high-end part before Pascal. The rumors from SweClockers suggest 980 Ti will be nothing less than TITAN X with higher clocks and less RAM."

http://videocardz.com/55299/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-to-be-released-after-summer

Higher clocks? Hm. Well, "after summer" is not very soon anyway.

Same silicon though. So really they are just clocking it stock higher. So I wouldn't call this faster than titan-x. Stock it probably will be but I don't expect it to be any faster overclocked.

It will be cheaper, and it will have more cooling solution options. You lose some vram, but with dx12 not requiring vram to be mirrored per card, I don't expect that to be an issue. Titan-x or 980ti doesn't have the render horse power to use more than 6gb unless it's sli.

Honestly, if I was ready to buy a new card today, I would say screw speculation and pickup a titan-x. 980ti might come out in 6months. That's 25% of your gpu's life cycle if you upgrade every 2 years. So say $250. Then throw in the benefits of having the gpu over the 6months, that's not quantifiable really, but say the 980ti is $600. So you are still looking at a $150 difference. I would being willing to eat that difference if I was buying one right now. This is all assuming you don't wince when spending $1k. There will always be more options/different cards available in the future at different price points. I think the op just wanted to know if there would be a faster one. I still feel like the answer is no.

Well I just ordered 2 from Nvidia, if the 980ti is a little faster I'd rather have fun with the cards now, I think I'm going to keep 1 of my 980s in the secondary rig. Then when I get more info on pascal next year sell the Titans and roll with the 980 right become the new cards release.

Nope, GTX980 TI 6GB is going to be clocked 10% higher than Titan X's, all the same amount of cuda cores. They're doing this to combat the 390x, which is slated to be slightly faster than Titan X, yet only cost $750. So they're not making a "cut down" version of GM200 anymore, it's a full GM200, only 6GB, but clocked faster and 3rd party board partners can make nice coolers now.......

....coming July/August/September

Back