Will this setup work correctly?

spK

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,
I'm pretty noob with it comes to networks, I can only do the normal stuff.

Well I have a question on this setup I've been thinking. Picture below.

I'm storing all of my movies,videos,music on the "Main PC" raid array, and since the mobo has two Ethernet ports, could I connect the one port to my HTPC so I can stream? (other port goes to the router.)

Hopefully the picture will help.

Picture2.jpg

Thanks in advance

should, just use a crossover cable betwen the 2 pcs
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Crossover isn't needed, gigabit supports auto crossover.

ah, I can't see any images on my phone, I didn't realize till now (home) that it said gigabit... oh and that fact I didn't know that was even true either... thanks! lol I wish I had known that before... hmm

Yeah, it'll probably work, but why not spend a few extra bucks, get an 5 port gigabit switch and make your life easier? You can get a 5 gigabit switch for under $30.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll give it a try when my hard drives come in.

The HTPC is going to be in my room, like 10ft away so I don't think I'll really need a gigabit switch.

A switch will make everything much easier (or just run separate cables from your router if it has a built-in switch). To run the connection from your second NIC to the other PC, you'll at least need to bridge the NICs. Bridging and routing and other advanced network stuff is my weak spot, so I don't know exactly what you'll need to do to make it work. But just plugging the cable into both PCs most likely won't really do what you want.

That will be a separate network from everything else. If you just want to make a quick link between those two PCs for transferring files, it should be fine (they should pick up AutoIPs which will work together). But if you want to run WiFi off the HTPC (I'm not sure exactly what you mean at the right side of the pic) or have the HTPC talk to other stuff on the network, it'll take more than just plugging the cable in to both PCs.

It would probably be easier just to get a 5 port gigabit switch to be honest.
:D

dont use the 2 ports on the machine, get a small switch, its much easier from the software config side, and you dont need the 2 port machine on for the other one to work with a switch.

dont use the 2 ports on the machine, get a small switch, its much easier from the software config side, and you dont need the 2 port machine on for the other one to work with a switch.

As in, like, there's no software configuration :D

Go with the switch like others have said. Plus, it leaves you 4 ports to expand, and don't say that you won't!

Eh, I guess i'll go with a switch then.

I'm planning to stream MKV files so I'll need that gigabit bandwidth.

Also, I'm probably going to remove the connection from the router to the main PC, going wireless until I get the house wired for ethernet. In that case, can I just put a switch between Main PC and HTPC?

are you sure you need gigabit for mkv? I would think 100mbit would be fine for streaming. Ive never seen any (compressed) video clip with the video bitrate approaching 100mbit.

And no, dont put the switch between pc 1 & pc 2, using the 2nd port on pc1, thats the same as directly connecting.

You could put the switch just in front of pc1, which connects to the router, pc1, and pc2. Only using one of the jacks on pc1. This lets pc2 talk to the router through the switch, which is always on.

Back