Will this network work?

C_N1

n00b
bXvGSo3.jpg

I have some questions:
1. can I connect the server to the ethernet switch that is connected to the router, and the same time the pc? :confused: router <--switch <--server&pc's
2. can I use so many switches, that are connected to eachother?
3. is there anything missing?
4. do I need more than 1 router?
5.is there anything wrong with the connections?

Thanks to everyone that helps :D

yes that will work just fine., no you don't need more than one router. why so many wireless points though?

http://i.imgur.com/bXvGSo3.jpg
I have some questions:
1. can I connect the server to the ethernet switch that is connected to the router, and the same time the pc? :confused: router <--switch <--server&pc's
2. can I use so many switches, that are connected to eachother?
3. is there anything missing?
4. do I need more than 1 router?
5.is there anything wrong with the connections?

Thanks to everyone that helps :D

1) Yes. Think of a switch as a signal repeater with benefits.
2) Yes. Spanning-Tree Protocol (STP) has long since been a standard on every device you'll probably encounter in the last 20 years. Prevents layer 2 loops that you'd get plugging multiple switches in to each other and it's usually a defaulted on even with managed switches.
3) Not that I can see.
4) Nope. If you get a powerful enough router from the start you don't need to worry about adding more unless it's necessary. Keeping a network at the Layer 2 level can be so much easier to manage unless you're really forced to split it up.
5) Connections all look fine. Like moose517 though I'm a little curious about the AP's as I'm sure you're not referring to literal wireless routers. Guessing these are big areas? If so then make sure you configure the channels appropriately and mind the overlap as seen below:

images

Think it's 1.5mhz bandwidth lap between channels. So 1, 6 and 11 and back to 1.

EDIT: Liger already pointed it out with a diagram.

That's a shit load of AP's though. I'm assuming covering a large surface area.

Actually - given the number of diagrammed APs - and agreeing with that this must cover a large area, two things come to mind:

1) What are the lengths of any of those switch to switch links. Standards dictate that no permanent link (copper) can be greater than 90 meters in length.

2) Are any of these spans going by aerial, direct burial or conduit (ya know, outdoors)?
If they are, please realize a few things:
A) Standard copper ethernet cable that you buy absorbs moisture.
B) And UV.
C) Or more than 25 lbs of tension. While this is about the weight of one 1000m spool, you need to take into consideration the elements which can act as a force multiplier (wind and freezing rain come to mind quickly)

For both A and B, they make outdoor rated cabling that has a moisture and UV-protected coating and a moisture barrier inside the main sheath, basically a hydrophobic gel. And if it is going to be buried in conduit, it needs to be outdoor rated too. Conduits are an excellent collector of moisture.

For C, depending on conditions and whatnot, you can run a steel cable along the length of the run and then attach the ethernet run to the steel cable... but like I said, it is all about your environment there. If you live in Arizona or San Diego probably not much chance for freezing rain.

Hope that helps!

No one mentioned this but you probably want VLAN capable switches and a VLAN aware router as I'd want to separate your office network from your home network.
Also, the middle switch is unnecessary as far as I can tell.
//Danne

Was going to mention VLAN's but we don't know if Op will be using VLAN capable or Cisco switches that have the option of supporting VTP modes to propagate info from one switch to the other, server or client mode. I'd think it will be a bit overkill for a home setup as well.

Was going to mention VLAN's but we don't know if Op will be using VLAN capable or Cisco switches that have the option of supporting VTP modes to propagate info from one switch to the other, server or client mode. I'd think it will be a bit overkill for a home setup as well.

Its probably safe to assume that the OP isn't using Cisco or other managed 4-port switches.

350 feet is doable, provided that no distance between a switch and device or switch and switch is greater than 90 meters long by way of the cable.

The home network can be connected to the office, its a family business and the AP's are private, my biggest concerne about the setup was the connections between all the devices and the length between the wires will not exceed 50m (~160 ft)

Is there a lot of walls within the buildings? Is there easy access long run space for cable layouts? (Not zig-zagging around lot's of corners and tight spots etc).

Back