Will this heatsink work with a Athlon 64 3500+?

PCMonkey

Weaksauce
I was wondering what made heatsinks Intel or AMD heatsinks or if it really doesn't matter. I have a http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx4000-T.asp and it's considered a Intel Socket 478 heatsink. However, does this mean it is absolutely incompatible with a Socket 939 for a AMD Athlon 64? Would i really have to buy a new heatsink or can i just swap it over?

From what I see, it won't work due to it being strictly socket 478. Hhowever, they may sell a mounting bracket so you can use it on a 939, but you'd have to check. If they do not, than you will need a new HSF.

But what makes it strictly 478? Is it that the surface that come in contact with the CPU is too wide, deep, shallow, etc. Or is it because the mounting screws won't allign with the screws on the Motherboard?

I may have to just wait and use the HSF that comes with the CPU for now until i can get a replacement. It comes tomorrow so i guess i'll find out then.

What makes it strictly 478 is it's mounting brackets. The HSF had to either come with it's own mounting brackets, or uses the stock socket 478 bracket. Obviously, in either scenario, it's only going to work when connected to a socket 478 bracket which will not work on a socket 939 motherboard.

P.S. - When I say mounting bracket I mean where the HSF screws into the motherboard.

It won't work.

Mounting points may be different, but you don't know if the heatsink will even contact the CPU.

Back