Will this fit...

lDreaml

Weaksauce
Trying to get my father a new GPU but I'm worried if it'll fit on his motherboard. Here is his computer: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c03683097 Only his motherboard is green and his current gpu is the gt 730. Details on that card and some rough measurements of my own have it sitting at 14cm. Here are some pics for a better perspective on this predicament:

6fe2f32e74f5a442d42ad6d73e45c783.jpg

8376c886aca5af05d850b52ca860d955.jpg

I apologize for the dirt, these pictures were taken before I had cleaned out the computer with the compressor. Anyways, as you can see even this tiny gpu is sitting awfully close to the memory slots. My fear is that if I were to buy lets say a 1060 (21cm) or a 1660(also 21cm) it'd not fit. Am I worrying about nothing or am I right? I'll also be replacing the powersupply as I assume 300w is nowhere near enough to maintain the new gpu, but I digress. Any of you guys got any idea if this'll work?

IDreaml, Check out this page that lists low power, low profile graphics cards.
Since you are already replacing the power supply, I'd think that you can probably make a
a GTX1650 work. That will work perfectly for 1080P gaming, or pretty much anything you
can throw at it at that resolution. I hope this helps.

https://graphicscardhub.com/best-low-profile-graphics-card/

Thanks,

Silver

PS; You could also ditch the optical drive, and upgrade his boot drive to a 256GB or better SATA SSD.
That would help it boot and run a bit faster. You could then use the existing hard drive for Data only.

Good Luck!

Silver

Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting him a GTX 1030 as that's the only gpu that would fit given the motherboards poor placement design. Going to focus on building him a new pc soon.

I see that you've already bought a GTX 1030 as a replacement.
If you look at the memory slots and video card alignments more closely, you'll notice that a longer video card PCB will go past the memory without hitting anything. Yes, it's close, but that is by design. Most motherboards have this design. The ATX form factor doesn't give MB manufacturers a lot of choices when placing connectors/slots when you factor PCB tracing/signal integrity. You might even have to remove the video card to remove the memory due to the retaining clips (white) on the slots, but this isn't a big deal since you normally don't remove memory unless there is a problem or you are upgrading.
On the other hand, if you are worried about the height of the new video card, that could indeed be a problem. I can't tell how tall the existing card is and so if it is a low profile card and the case won't allow a normal height video card to fit, then that's a problem. But you were more worried about the video card PCB hitting the memory and I don't think that would happen here from the pics you posted.
upload_2019-7-10_12-49-38.png

Back