Will these led lights work with 4 pin header on my Z490 Asus board?

My Asus B550 board has 12v LED headers, and works with my eislicht light bar. Had to get a female-female cable to connect it, though.

The mb manual should say, but in case it doesn't, here's what mine said:
The "AURA Addressable Gen 2" header has three pins– 5v/data/(unused)/ground. 3A max (probably board specific).
The "AURA RGB" header has four pins– 12v/g/r/b. It supports 5050 RGB LED strips with a max power rating of 3A.

Yeah I think the above strip will work not sure if I want it though because then I'll always be looking at my case.

Typically a 12v RGB source is going to have 4 pins and the 5v will have 3 pins. A lot of times they use the same connector(4) but in the case of the 5v only 3 will be connected to wires. If you provide you actual motherboard model then we might be able to help you better. And yes, if you hook up the wrong strips to the wrong header then you can damage the strips or worse yet, your motherboard.

Generally 4-pin is 12V RGB and has a voltage pin for each red, blue, and green, plus one for ground. 3-pin is 5V Addressable RGB (also called ARGB, or DRGB for Digital RGB) and has a 5V “power” pin, a data pin, and a ground pin.

Copied and pasted from Reddit. That's what I saw when I was fooling around with trying to hook up my LED pump on my AIO. Some of the Asus Z490 boards have both types of RGB pins. Some boards I've used only have one or the other (hence my prior research).

Either way, they definitely ARE NOT cross compatible. The ones you linked in the OP are the 12V RGB and require a 4 pin RGB header.

Back