Will there be Direct X 10 AGP cards?

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
I was contemplating putting down my money for an x1950 AGP to prolong the life of my Shuttle but then I remembered that it's still a DX9 card and that the reason I wanted it was because I wanted Pixel Shader 3.0 over my x850 which is only 2.0.

But DX10 cards are already coming out and will have Pixel Shader 4.0 which really defeats the purpose of getting the x1950 to cover my bases as the last card my Shuttle will probably see.

I love my SFF PC, fits in a small backpack, I bring it around a lot so there is no option of getting a new system, but since I'm stuck with nForce 3 and AGP, I thought my next videocard upgrade would be the last upgrade and so therefore, are there going to be any DX10 AGP cards in the future? And if so, any guesses at how far they are off?

It's all up to ATI and NVIDIA...

They're pushing PCI-E, so perhaps only one of their partners might push an AGP version.

I was contemplating putting down my money for an x1950 AGP to prolong the life of my Shuttle but then I remembered that it's still a DX9 card and that the reason I wanted it was because I wanted Pixel Shader 3.0 over my x850 which is only 2.0.

But DX10 cards are already coming out and will have Pixel Shader 3.0 which really defeats the purpose of getting the x1950 to cover my bases as the last card my Shuttle will probably see.

I love my SFF PC, fits in a small backpack, I bring it around a lot so there is no option of getting a new system, but since I'm stuck with nForce 3 and AGP, I thought my next videocard upgrade would be the last upgrade and so therefore, are there going to be any DX10 AGP cards in the future? And if so, any guesses at how far they are off?

IMHO, no. I don't think we'll see any AGP flavor of NVIDIA's G80 or ATI's R600. But that's just my guess. It's all up to the manufacturers.

I have a shuttle xpc computer using agp and well the motherboard is nothing but problems. One of my ram slots is dead so now i only have one. I decided not to fix anything but get a new computer.
I wanna thank you becuase i really didnt know the x1950 was dx9. I thought it would support dx10.
When will these dx10 supported video cards come out?
and are they gonna be overpriced like all video cards are?
Im not willing to spend more then 275 canadian and i think thats pushing it way to much. I could buy a nintendo wii with that money and everything is there.

I don't think we will see a AGP DX10 card.

I don't see it happening. Putting a DX10 card in an AGP system is like slapping nitrous on your mom's Aerostar.

No for high-end cards. Maybe for basic low-end cards.
AGP systems are pretty old. Not likely the CPUs on them will be able to keep up with DX10 games.

Tomshardware recentely showed that AGP was still viable and not yet bottlenecked by CPUs around the A64 3200+ level.

I guess I"m just trying to decide whether or not to go for the x1950 AGP right now or to wait for newer cards. I will probably be keeping this Shuttle for another 2 years+

I hope not.

:( Meanie [H] Video Editor.

In all seriousnous, there are many people still on the AGP platform, not everybody can afford or want to upgrade/change computers simply to take advantage of PCI-E. I'm a poor student who travels often, I'll likely have to keep this Shuttle for another two years.

Given that PCI cards were still coming out for awhile, I'm certain some low-grade vendors will come out with DX10 compatible AGP solutions, but if there is little likelihood of higher end cards on AGP, then I will simply have to go get an x1950 AGP to last me for 2 more years.

why wouldn't they make dx10 agp cards? they make dx9 pci cards!!! i just wouldnt expect and high end dx10 cards to go to agp.

Maybe 8600GS, certainly nothing higher from nVidia. However, I do anticipate an 8300/8200 AGP.
Maybe X2300, don't even expect an X26 on the ATI side. (BTW, my money's on Visiontek or PowerColor for that X23.) However, I wouldn't be surprised by an X2300 PCI from Visiontek- after all, they do make an X1300 PCI still.

They might, the 8300 or whatever... lower end ones.
I believe that it will all be up to the vendors though.

I would bet money that they will within half a year of the mid-range dx10 card release.

No doubt in my mind there will be a DX10 AGP version because #1 theres still a huge market for AGP cards and B they can maximize profit on AGP like they still do.

So in the end yes we will see them...will they be decapitated, lower clocked, and extremely expensive? Yes.

How are these threads still popping up? Hasn't the agp horse been beaten to an unrecognizable mess by this point?

If you have the cash to buy a high-end DX10 card, then you should be able to pony up the money for a mobo (you can get c2duo-ready mobos with pci-e for like 60 bucks!). If no pci-e mobos exist for your cpu (i.e. socket A), then it's time to accept that your platform is dead.

AGP was a cheap hackjob and was a temporary solution to the problem of video card bandwidth. It is gone, and I am glad.

How are these threads still popping up? Hasn't the agp horse been beaten to an unrecognizable mess by this point?

If you have the cash to buy a high-end DX10 card, then you should be able to pony up the money for a mobo (you can get c2duo-ready mobos with pci-e for like 60 bucks!). If no pci-e mobos exist for your cpu (i.e. socket A), then it's time to accept that your platform is dead.

AGP was a cheap hackjob and was a temporary solution to the problem of video card bandwidth. It is gone, and I am glad.

Doesn't apply to SFF PC's. If I had a normal mobo and case, I would swap instantly. Gee, what is the hate-on that people have with AGP? How does a three letter acronym for a graphical interface get taken so personally by some people?

They would be finacially stupid for not putting one out.
The old PCI has DX9 cards for it! Yes 66mhz bus
If ATI doesn't offer one nVidia would own the low end upgrade and vice versa.
there are millions of AGP slots and people will upgrade at some point.

AGP is not dead. It's on its way out, but it's not dead. And I hope, unlike Brent, that they do make DX10 agp cards. At least initially. Not for years to come or anything, but long enough so that people can choose vs. being forced to upgrade.

AGP was dying already during the last generation (x1000/7000).

It's pretty-much dead at this point. It is no-longer viable to play newer games on older P4 systems, and even older Athlon 64 systems are pushing it. I wouldn't expect anything beyond an 8600-series card, and that's if you're lucky.

dude, the real question is, "will there be any PCI DX10 cards?"

God, I hope not...

Why? was it going to hurt you? people will ask, I assure it. Especially the HTPC and microbox lan gamers.
PCI is dead but AGP will have a following till maybe DX11 when the AGP bus is finally toooo slow.

tough call...we need a agp mobo for a socket 939 to finish a lan computer and cannot find one in the city! agp seems dead in this place. what a crock too...agp still kicks ass for lan computers. an amd64 3500 and 6600gt gets decent rates

agp shouldn't be dead in the least. not every system needs all the new crap. hopefully they make a dx10 agp gpu just to shut the "agp is dead" people up

G'ßöö;1030675692 said:
agp shouldn't be dead in the least. not every system needs all the new crap. hopefully they make a dx10 agp gpu just to shut the "agp is dead" people up

yes, agp should be dead. I just don't understand why people cling to a poorly-executed and buggy interface like AGP. Perhaps it's just that people take the stupid quirks of agp as-is and never think that it shouldn't be like that in the first place (for example, the agp GART).

AGP wasn't replaced for the issue of bandwidth. We all know that AGP provides plenty of bandwidth, that horse has been beaten to death. AGP was replaced because it was a hackjob interface that never should have lasted very long in the first place. It is a quirky, single-duplex, single-device, abstraction-layer-dependant bus that can only be used for video cards. PCIe came along to fix all of those issues.

Please, just think back on all your "fond" memories of having to load AGP gart drivers (in the proper sequence with your video drivers) in order for acceleration to work, and having to reload them at random times when they drop out, and having to fight with sideband addressing and agp fast writes and agp aperature size. THAT is why agp is dead.

Why? was it going to hurt you?
Not hurt, but hinder.

Consider the equation. AIB vendors typically "construct" cards from reference designs. Departures from reference designs cost AIBs money, as they now have to design the cards. Now, perhaps the money pumped into the design process will be offset by card sales, and perhaps not. I couldn't possibly ballpark the amount of time or the amount of money it costs to design a card like the 8800 GTS for AGP. I don't know specifically what that entails.

Now, if the AGP market did not exist, i.e. forced adoption, AIB manufacturers would no longer have any need to design new products, including designing physical cards and creating new SKUs (which entails creating new or re-working box designs, manuals and training techs). This is money that the company no longer needs to spend, and all resources could be instead allocated to PCIe products, company profits or, perhaps, lower prices.

For us modern folk (AGP is antiquated - admit it), the production of AGP products is negative. The best case scenario is forced adoption, and that will be the way if nobody offers any AGP DX10 cards. This is the ideal route.

Upon the arrival of PCIe 2.0, AGP will be two generations old, and these interface generational leaps are massive. If you want to get with the times, then get with the times.

G'ßöö;1030675692 said:
tough call...we need a agp mobo for a socket 939 to finish a lan computer and cannot find one in the city! agp seems dead in this place. what a crock too...agp still kicks ass for lan computers. an amd64 3500 and 6600gt gets decent rates

Yeah, a 6600GT is a good match for a AGP system, but a DX10 part is not. No DX10 games will work well with an AGP system.

I don't think there is anything preventing one from being made. Aren't the "current" crop of higher-end AGP video cards really PCI-E devices with a bridge chip?
There would be nothing preventing anyone pairing a newer GPU with a bridge chip. Whether or not a company makes one is a different quetion.

I guess if the market keeps demanding AGP cards for another year or so we might end up with a low end one by default. Maybe a low end 6600? Just guessing.

Would you care to elaborate. Your stating it as fact and not an opinion and I would like to why.

:rolleyes: Of course it's my opinion, I wrote it, and it's not a statistic. I'm not going to endorse every post with "IMHO" if that's what it takes not to offend you.

P4s or lower model Athlon 64s won't keep up in really new games like Crysis or UT3. I don't care if you don't believe me, it's your loss not mine.

Back