Will there be CS:S maps that use the real HalfLife2 Source engine to it's max ?

Labrador

[H]ard|Gawd
I am a little bit unsure about the CounterStrike:Source engine ? I know it is the same engine as used in HalfLife2 BUT scaled down , for CS:S ?

Doesnt HalfLife2 use more power of the Source engine, where CS:S just uses parts of HalfLife1 + HalfLife2 ?

My question is, can there be all new orginal maps made for CounterStrike:Source that use 100% same engine as seen in HalfLife2 ?

You have to take into consideration that the game has to be scaled down a bit for online play.

HL2 will be even better looking than CS: S

NOTD665 said:
You have to take into consideration that the game has to be scaled down a bit for online play.

HL2 will be even better looking than CS: S

Shouldnt it be the other way around ? Are not singleplayer games [H]arder on your system due to the complex AI in the game, and massive amounts of creatures you fight off all at once ?

Labrador said:
Shouldnt it be the other way around ? Are not singleplayer games [H]arder on your system due to the complex AI in the game, and massive amounts of creatures you fight off all at once ?

No. One need not worry too much about how their own computer handles the client side of things, but they need to worry about how the server is going to handle all the packet requests for things such as physics, movement, calculating where each player is in the game space, graphics, etc. Whereas in a single player game, your own computer is calculating all that for just one person: you. That is why in the singleplayer game, developers are able to add much more to the mix.

Labrador said:
I am a little bit unsure about the CounterStrike:Source engine ? I know it is the same engine as used in HalfLife2 BUT scaled down , for CS:S ?

Doesnt HalfLife2 use more power of the Source engine, where CS:S just uses parts of HalfLife1 + HalfLife2 ?

My question is, can there be all new orginal maps made for CounterStrike:Source that use 100% same engine as seen in HalfLife2 ?

CS:S runs on the same engine as HL:2, but can't be used to its limits because of online play.

i was wondering about this, how long it would take for stages to be built that really used that engine for all it could be and not just trash and random things around.

Don't mean to be rude Labrador, but the online games are scaled down because... contrary to popular belief, not everyone have two supercomputers like you. :rolleyes:

And yes, HL2 will use much more of the Source engine's capabilities.

fat_al said:
Don't mean to be rude Labrador, but the online games are scaled down because... contrary to popular belief, not everyone have two supercomputers like you. :rolleyes:

Not everyone has 2 supercomputers?? :eek: :confused: ;) To tell you the truth I kinda wish they wouldn't scale it down for lower end hardware. Lot's of the lame 12 year olds that play cs now would be left out cause moms gateway can't cut it. I mean really as long as you have anything fairly modern cs:s should run fine. Al, I don't think the framerates on your 9800pro are gonna be that bad. Remember last year when hl2 was supposed to be that was the top of the line card.

fat_al said:

I dont have supercomputers, I am just a dumbass who blows his money on [H]ardware, and now almost have enough parts for a 3rd computer, that I certainly dont need, but just may build it :)

But I always thought a newer singleplayer game uses alot of the cpu for AI, and weather effects, etc.. and multiplayer only has one player, and others have thier own bandwith ?

v1p3r-386- said:
Al, I don't think the framerates on your 9800pro are gonna be that bad. Remember last year when hl2 was supposed to be that was the top of the line card.

That wasn't my point, I was just flaming Labrador. :D

Back