will there be another Turing refresh?

polonyc2

Fully [H]
is Nvidia going to release another Turing refresh or will Ampere be the next GPU release?...with RTX games really starting to take off I want to get an RTX card but really don't want to get these 1st gen Turing ones

is Nvidia going to release another Turing refresh or will Ampere be the next GPU release?...with RTX games really starting to take off I want to get an RTX card but really don't want to get these 1st gen Turing ones
Well the turing refresh is probably the super versions I guess.

I don't think we'll get another turing refresh as the next step would be a die shrink to 7nm (a la Vega VII) Turing is already quite efficient at 12nm, not sure it would gain that much from the die shrink.

Now Ampere is both 7nm and a new architechture which should bring performance increase in both rasterized and RT games.

Now Ampere is both 7nm and a new architechture which should bring performance increase in both rasterized and RT games.

I would like a 2nd gen RTX card before Cyberpunk hits and rumors are that Ampere won't be released until next summer...hence the dilemma...I would think Nvidia would want to release Ampere right before Cyberpunk as it seems like the perfect showcase game that will sell a lot of GPU's

I would like a 2nd gen RTX card before Cyberpunk hits and rumors are that Ampere won't be released until next summer...hence the dilemma...I would think Nvidia would want to release Ampere right before Cyberpunk as it seems like the perfect showcase game that will sell a lot of GPU's

THey are not going to push hardware release because of a game when there is already rtx hardware out there.

I guess nvidia could push Ampere to come out about the same time as Cyberpunk 2077.

I haven't read any rumors about release except that its coming in 2020

I guess nvidia could push Ampere to come out about the same time as Cyberpunk 2077.

GPUs are built over a long integrated schedule involving massive teams. You can't just push the schedule to show up in time for a hot game.

If you OP wants a GPU for CP2077, then the solution is obvious. Just wait till CP2077 and see whats on the marktet then for GPUs.

GPUs are built over a long integrated schedule involving massive teams. You can't just push the schedule to show up in time for a hot game.

If you OP wants a GPU for CP2077, then the solution is obvious. Just wait till CP2077 and see whats on the marktet then for GPUs.

GPU manufacturer's don't release new GPU's the second they are available...they might hold on to them for awhile depending on several factors such as market competition...if they feel that AMD still hasn't released something comparable then they could wait for a better time period (not just with GPU's but pretty much every consumer product)...Ampere might be ready in time for Cyberpunk and if Nvidia feels that it would maximize profits then they will release it at that time

AFAIK nvidia has several develpment teams working on different projects. So its possible that AMPERE could already be done or near completion.

same boat here, 1080ti gtx and really want the next gen Nvidia to be out or close to out around Cyberpunk release. Planning a whole system refresh around then just for that game.

Exactly this.

Maybe we'll get a 2080 Ti Super at $999, but I wouldn't expect much more than that.

It's possible.

I don't think it's very likely though. If AMD's "nVidia Killer' really does bring the heat (doubtful, but who knows), and for some reason Ampere is having issues getting finalized, we have seen rushed revamps of existing lines in the past. So it's not outside the realm of possibility, but I think it would require those two specific conditions to occur.

It's possible.

I don't think it's very likely though. If AMD's "nVidia Killer' really does bring the heat (doubtful, but who knows), and for some reason Ampere is having issues getting finalized, we have seen rushed revamps of existing lines in the past. So it's not outside the realm of possibility, but I think it would require those two specific conditions to occur.

Oh I'm sure it will bring the heat ;)

I'm so ready to upgrade from my 1060 but I'm holding out for Ampere, probably back to a 70 level card. MechWarrior 5 is the only upcoming game I have on my horizon and that won't be out until December.

THey are not going to push hardware release because of a game when there is already rtx hardware out there.

That doesn't mean this isn't a mistake. They really should when it's something this big. There really hasn't been a game this big or highly anticipated in years. They would do well to get some new hardware out right before it ships. You're right though, they probably won't.

I'm in the same boat as polonyc2. I want an RTX card, but want a new one. I'd prefer to get a x070 level card from Ampere, than any of the current Turing.

Maybe we'll get a 2080 Ti Super at $999, but I wouldn't expect much more than that.
Fuck Nvidia conditioning people for the last few years that this above statement ,there would be people lining up for that and not bat an eyelash.I would buy one for the hell of it but it is a shame that top tier is this high and even worst is the Titan cards.

I'm in the same boat as polonyc2. I want an RTX card, but want a new one. I'd prefer to get a x070 level card from Ampere, than any of the current Turing.

yeah the new architecture plus 2nd RTX is too big of a jump in performance to buy a 2000 series card now...if I bought one now it would be a 2070 Super and it would have to be relatively cheap (under $400)

I mean if you lost that cushy $300k/yr job because of you didn't have that extra 2 frames per second with ray tracing enabled....

My point, is that I'd wait. This seems like a "bad time" to buy high end.

So... no, I wouldn't expect something else of worth Turing wise.... (but that 2fps difference would have gotten you that dream job... so there's that).

(waiting for a "return from outer space" pricing wise.... maybe that'll never happen though)

yeah the new architecture plus 2nd RTX is too big of a jump in performance to buy a 2000 series card now...if I bought one now it would be a 2070 Super and it would have to be relatively cheap (under $400)

I thought about a 2070 Super. The performance isn’t bad for someone like me. I still play at 1080 with settings maxed rather than buy higher res monitors. I still like headroom though so I don’t get noticeable frame rate dips as that’s very important to me. I think the Super would just about do it really, but not when a new architecture is looming.

its unreasonable to assume a "too big of a jump in performance). Turing was a new as well but for the price it wasn't a big jump. Lets wait until its out. But I don't expect it before mid next year at the earliest.

its unreasonable to assume a "too big of a jump in performance). Turing was a new as well but for the price it wasn't a big jump. Lets wait until its out. But I don't expect it before mid next year at the earliest.

I'm going to guess raster performance will see a similar jump from Pascal -> Turing. I think rt is where huge gains will be made (100%?)

I'm going to guess raster performance will see a similar jump from Pascal -> Turing. I think rt is where huge gains will be made (100%?)

Not to sure about that. If they keep the same thing I guess they can double the rt cores but not sure if that will result in linear performance. its wait and see.

I really doubt that. A lot of the time for each RT effect is spent on Shading and Denoising. IOW you need everything for good RT performance. If you want 100% improvement, you need double everything, not just double RT cores.

I really doubt that. A lot of the time for each RT effect is spent on Shading and Denoising. IOW you need everything for good RT performance. If you want 100% improvement, you need double everything, not just double RT cores.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks!

It will be interesting to see how the major players balance the die space in upcoming high-end offerings. I do not envy the people having to make those calls.

I hope iron out problems with RTX dieing early. Was going to buy 2080ti used but sellier contacred me said his card was smoking. Problems especially high end. Gonna wait till ampere to buy have 2 1080tis for now.

need to update my xfx 580 but neither side has got me into the upgrade mood. I can wait till next year.

What's the timeline for Ampere? Released by June 2020?

Around May if they are following the Spring/Fall alternating schedule they have used in the past.

NV might also be waiting on the larger Navi 5800/5900 to launch then announce immediately following to take any thunder away from the competition. AMD might be the first to 7nm but performance wise they are still behind by 9+ months.

So the longer AMD takes to launch the larger Navi the longer NV will wait. NV has no incentive to launch Ampere yet since the Supers and non-supers trade blows with AMD and NV is alone on the high end.

I would expect a NV price drop before a pre-mature launch of Ampere. NV loves to be king of the hill, either on high end crown or sales, so it is all in AMD's court.

bring new Ti i want smooth in Control on 1440p no dlss rt high!!!

I'd tend to agree with the mid-late 2020 people here. They do throw out a surprise release every few years though it seems. (maybe only when they had to respond to AMD in the past though, and there's probably no danger of that right now) It would definitely be nice to see something for Cyberpunk.

Sybsidian,from Triple S League,a podcast co-host, and a industry analyst with pretty solid connections and a good track record,stated last week on air folks should wait till the Spring of 2020 ,if they plan on upgrading for 2077. He hinted strongly some new tech is coming. I have followed him for ages,his track record on this has been good. Take it for what its worth.

Sybsidian,from Triple S League,a podcast co-host, and a industry analyst with pretty solid connections and a good track record,stated last week on air folks should wait till the Spring of 2020 ,if they plan on upgrading for 2077. He hinted strongly some new tech is coming. I have followed him for ages,his track record on this has been good. Take it for what its worth.

It's only common sense that if you are upgrading for a specific game, then you should wait for that specific game to be released.

It's only common sense that if you are upgrading for a specific game, then you should wait for that specific game to be released.

There have been times where upgrading for an upcoming game made sense. Usually id releases historically. If NV put out new hardware right before Cyberpunk I’d grab it because of RTX support. We’re on kind of a border here with RT. I don’t want to buy a Turing card for it. Otherwise I agree.

Back