Will there be an HL2 EP"3"? anytime soon?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Just wondering.... I really enjoy the HL2 series games, and was hoping for a EP3 soon?

My guess is that Valve likes releasing games in the fall with the Orange Box and Left 4 Dead. That leads me to guess that Episode 3 will come out in the Fall of 2009. Though, everything is just speculation.

My guess is that Valve likes releasing games in the fall with the Orange Box and Left 4 Dead. That leads me to guess that Episode 3 will come out in the Fall of 2009. Though, everything is just speculation.

Even 09 is doubtful. You will usually see some screenshots and a trailer a year and a half away from release to start the hype machine. No media has been released to date. (Also, if they give a release date, add a year or two to that)

Soon?

Nope.

Wasn't anyone paying attention to valve at all? Its "episodic" that means a greater time between gam...wait no thats the wrong way around, silly me.

Valve has really done a lot in terms of non-Half Life related content. Last year they released the Orange Box, which contained 6 hours of gameplay in HL2 Ep2, the long anticipated Team Fortress 2, and Portal.

This year they released Left 4 Dead, and continued to create engine/game updates for TF2. I suspect that we're more likely to see some DLC for TF2 and L4D before we get our hands on HL2 Ep 3. I'd put my money on a late 2010 release.

I don't understand what the hold up is. They already have the complete engine written, that's the hard part. I'm sure they have their reasons, but I'm ready for episode three so we can wrap up this storyline. I need closure damnit! :D

Valve has really done a lot in terms of non-Half Life related content. Last year they released the Orange Box, which contained 6 hours of gameplay in HL2 Ep2, the long anticipated Team Fortress 2, and Portal.

This year they released Left 4 Dead, and continued to create engine/game updates for TF2.

Portal and L4D were both developed by external studios that were purchased by Valve and folded into the company (Portal was made by a bunch of DigiPen students who were hired by Valve, and L4D is by Turtle Rock who were acquired early this year). It's not like their normal dev teams were tied up with making those games, since they weren't involved.

They are holding off on Ep 3, because they are waiting for the writers to finish HL3 story, so they can properly tie it in.

They are holding off on Ep 3, because they are waiting for the writers to finish HL3 story, so they can properly tie it in.

I thought they claimed that they already knew how the story was going to end before they even completed HL1.

Portal and L4D were both developed by external studios that were purchased by Valve and folded into the company (Portal was made by a bunch of DigiPen students who were hired by Valve, and L4D is by Turtle Rock who were acquired early this year). It's not like their normal dev teams were tied up with making those games, since they weren't involved.

Exactly. The only "new" game Valve worked on for the Orange Box, was TF2.

As for Episode 3 OP, don't expect it any time soon. Valve introduced two new concepts with their latest IPs and those are "episodic content", that's not "episodic content" and a "demo" that isn't really a "demo".

Better odds than Sin Episode 2 ever being made.

Man thats a sore spot for me...

I really loved the first Sin episode and was really looking forward for more! But no, they had to go off on a tangent and just focus on stupid 5 dollar puzzle games...

I don't understand what the hold up is. They already have the complete engine written, that's the hard part. I'm sure they have their reasons, but I'm ready for episode three so we can wrap up this storyline. I need closure damnit! :D

I'd rather wait 3 years for a game that will suck me in and leave me wanting more than have games thrown at me every year that are mediocre at best.

I'm not a huge fan of the episodic story line like I originally thought I would be, but I am happy that we have seen more half life content in the last four years than we saw from the original half life and the six years that followed before hl2.

The Source engine had to be heavily modified for Portal, so that involved more than just the students who were hired.

Left 4 Dead also has the AI director, which I'm sure wasn't just thrown together in a week or two.

Level design takes quite a bit of time, especially with the amount of playtesting Valve does. See the above link.

They're also adding in new technology to the Source engine as they go. Episode 1 brought HDR lighting and a better facial animation system. Episode 2 brought multi-core support and a better physics implementation. It's not just a matter of making new maps.

The Source engine had to be heavily modified for Portal, so that involved more than just the students who were hired.

Left 4 Dead also has the AI director, which I'm sure wasn't just thrown together in a week or two.

Actually, all the engine changes made for Portal were done by the dev team, which was about ten people IIRC. As for the AI director in L4D, that was all the work of Turtle Rock Studios, who were acquired by Valve. However, Valve's own dev teams were not involved in the production of L4D.

Well when its done It had better blow me away wasn't impressed with ep 2 I love the HL games and would honestly just prefer they invested the time into HL3 which they very well might be, causing the episodes for hl2 to be delayed. As far as sin goes I loved that game shame they haven't gotten ep 2 out yet.

I haven't been into the episodes at all.
I loved HL and thought HL2 was very good, but I really dislike their new business model.
The episodes are too short it's not as satisfying as an actual sequel.

The engine's not really all done, Valve has been tweaking it for each episode, sort of using them as platforms to show off the progress and field-test the improvements as they come. I'm guessing for Ep3 we'll see some serious physics improvements and multi-core performance boosts.

Also I feel like they must be doing the levels and story for HL3 as they work on the engine. The polish will have to be done after Ep3 but I could see them having the framework done.

But yeah, 2010 seems to be the consensus, maybe late 2009 if we're lucky.

They better not leave a cliffhanger for Episode 3, so I'm expecting a good chunk of content for episode 3, since it seems they need to tie up a lot of unanswered questions from 1 and 2.

I'll be sure to visit them(I live in WA) and ask.

:p but I'm betting 2010

But I wonder will there be a Half-Life 3 or does Ep3 end it?

I'll be sure to visit them(I live in WA) and ask.

:p but I'm betting 2010

But I wonder will there be a Half-Life 3 or does will Ep3 end it?

I'll drive, but in this weather, who knows... at least I got my car out of all this snow today...

I loved the first two EP's and i hope this one comes as soon as possible. But don't count on it coming so soon.

So much for the whole "we do episodes so we can get them out quicker". Please look me in the eye and lie more.

It will be out before Duke Nukem, but that ain't saying much.

So much for the whole "we do episodes so we can get them out quicker". Please look me in the eye and lie more.

It will be out before Duke Nukem, but that ain't saying much.

I think you guys misunderstood the whole episode concept.

Original half-life came out in 1998. We didn't see Half Life 2 til what....2004? Six years in between with no half life love. Since 2004 we've seen two more episodes added to the story. So, in four years we have seen more content than we had the previous six.

I agree I wanted to see more in those 4 years, but they didn't lie to us. Had they not done the episodes we'd still be waiting to see what we've seen in episode 1 and 2 and the upcoming third.

Original half-life came out in 1998. We didn't see Half Life 2 til what....2004? Six years in between with no half life love. Since 2004 we've seen two more episodes added to the story. So, in four years we have seen more content than we had the previous six.

I agree I wanted to see more in those 4 years, but they didn't lie to us. Had they not done the episodes we'd still be waiting to see what we've seen in episode 1 and 2 and the upcoming third.

No...YOU misunderstood what "episodic content" means and yes, they did not deliver on their promise. Episodic Content means more content in less time. Less time does not mean less time than what the previous game took to be released. Less time in Episodic Content means 6-9 months and NOT two years or more. More content means development in the storyline and not necessarily game engine changes.

Yeah episodic content for the win! Too bad nothing they do will faulter me from getting episode 3 though...

*spoliers*
I must avenge Eli!
*end spoilers*

Less time in Episodic Content means 6-9 months and NOT two years or more. More content means development in the storyline and not necessarily game engine changes.

Did they say 6-9 months? All I remember hearing was that they would release content in episodes with a faster turnaround that putting out an entire new game. Judging by the past they have done just that.

The longer we wait, the more i suspect that Ep 3 will be HL3 with a new source engine. No gameplay vids and very minimal info yet is very suspicious in my book.

Honestly Valve hasn't changed anything. Half Life 2 Episodes 1 and 2 constitute 2/3 of a game, which so far has been released in about 4 years which is about 2/3 of the time taken to make HL2. Whats the point.

IMHO I would have rather waited 6 years for Half Life 3 than get this rabbit turd sized expansions on an increasing outdated engine.

Back