Will there be a noticable difference between these two RAM kits?

Little to no noticeable difference between the two RAM kits based on timings alone. I'm guessing this is for your sig rig?

Yes its for my I7 rig.

I pretty much just use it for gaming and surfing.

So what tri-channel kit would you all recommend in the $100-150 range?

It won't begin to even tax 12 gigs. I would get a 3x4gb CAS 9 kit for about $50, unless you're really adamant on spending $100-150.

I got my 24gb kit because it was on sale for $55. I rarely see usage over 7 gb, and that is only because I am doing comsol stuff. Gaming and surfing hardly ever exceeds 5gb.

the extra ram is always nice.
plus you could use something like ramdisk to boost your performance.

12GB (3x4GB), CAS 7 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226185

24GB (6x4GB), CAS 9 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220497

Which would be a better kit for gaming? I'm going to assume the 12GB CAS 7 kit would be better?
Since it isn't likely that any game will actually need to utilize more than 12GB of RAM?

Mushkin Redline without a doubt. It does Cas 7, and it is actually noticeable over Cas 9 timings if you play online multiplayer games with 20+ servers.

Also my Cinebench Scores went up a good deal for my Quad Core PC. CB SIngle core went up from 1.01 ---> 1.12 and Multithreaded test went up from 4.04 to 4.42.

Basically my older Mushkin SIlverline 4GB DDR3 @ 1333 Cas 9 kit compared to my newer Mushkin Redline kit 8GB DDR3 @ Cas 7 1666 gave me 10 percent performance boost to my CPU.

My 3D Mark 2011 P score went from 39xx to 46xx, so about a 15-18 percent improvement there also. This is on an AMD AM3 system so I cannot comment on SB/IB and if it makes as large of a performance difference with those CPU's. Good luck!

It won't begin to even tax 12 gigs. I would get a 3x4gb CAS 9 kit for about $50, unless you're really adamant on spending $100-150.

I got my 24gb kit because it was on sale for $55. I rarely see usage over 7 gb, and that is only because I am doing comsol stuff. Gaming and surfing hardly ever exceeds 5gb.

This.

I run 12GB in my Nehalem rig. I never come close to filling that, and getting more RAM has only crossed my mind since RAM is cheap...and simply to have on hand for the future when I do Haswell. 24GB is utterly pointless unless you're doing monstrous photoshop with 1GB TIFF files.

Back