will the xp120 fit in a qpack?

Soymilk

[H]ard|Gawd
the xp120 is the same height as the xp90, so i was wondering if it would fit with the same amount of modding necessary for the xp90 (cut a bit of the support beam away to fit a fan in), assuming that it's compatible with the mobo (the cpu socket isnt too close to the edge or something like that). is there any fundamental flaw like the extra size makes it so you would need to cut into the psu to fit it in there? or have people stuck the xp120 in their qpacks successfully?

It might. It might depend on your board's socket orientation. The Zalman 7000 fits and it is 109mm wide. The Zalman 7700 does not fit and it is 135mm. The Thermalright is 110mm x 125mm.

What I would rather know is if the CNPS9500 LED fits. It clears the width requirements, but it is 125mm tall (vs 96mm w/fan for the XP-90)!

yeah, i was thinking about that too, but then i was also debating the xp90/120 vs the cnp9500, and decided to go w/ the thermalright because it provides some cooling to the rest of the motherboard too. the 9500 doesn't seem like it'd help much for anything other than the cpu.

From a performance standpoint; correct me if I'm wrong but is there that much of a difference between the 90 and 120 to warrant the 120? I remember reading that the performance brtween the 7000 and 7700 didn't necessarily warrant the upgrade. I thought the same hald true for the 120, depending on what fan you use, sure a delta will give you better temps but at what cost in the noise dept?. But it is an interesting question none the less, especially concerning the 9500...

Solar said:
From a performance standpoint; correct me if I'm wrong but is there that much of a difference between the 90 and 120 to warrant the 120? I remember reading that the performance brtween the 7000 and 7700 didn't necessarily warrant the upgrade. I thought the same hald true for the 120, depending on what fan you use, sure a delta will give you better temps but at what cost in the noise dept?. But it is an interesting question none the less, especially concerning the 9500...
i think that if you already have the xp-90 its not worth it to upgrade, but if you're upgrading from stock its worth it to get the xp-120. it cools better, yes, but its also a lot quieter too (bigger fan = lower rpm = less speed for same / better cooling). PLUS, since its a bigger fan, it helps to cool more of your mobo, too.

The xp-90 and xp-120 both fit but you have to work some magic with the fan :D
The hard drive case rail gets in the way. feel free to cut it :)

CRaZYMoFo said:
The xp-90 and xp-120 both fit but you have to work some magic with the fan :D
The hard drive case rail gets in the way. feel free to cut it :)
i know that the xp-90 works with cutting some rails in there, but i was wondering about the xp120 cuz there may be width issues somewhere. hopefully not though :)

You can get the xp-90 in without cutting but u have to cut for the xp-120
with the xp-90 u hav place the fan atop the rail so the rail is between the fan and heatsink and seal off the space with duct tape or something.
Hope u understand wat i described. There is a thread somewhere in here with pics but i have no idea where it is now.

i think i know what you mean. so the xp-120 you have to cut (edit: cut the rail)? well i can live with that, just wanted to be sure theres nothing in the way thats too important (like the psu :p)

Soymilk said:
yeah, i was thinking about that too, but then i was also debating the xp90/120 vs the cnp9500, and decided to go w/ the thermalright because it provides some cooling to the rest of the motherboard too. the 9500 doesn't seem like it'd help much for anything other than the cpu.
That's a good point, but the major reason I would have wanted to try the CNP9500 is because of that lovely 120mm fan on the X-Qpack. If the socket is setup right, it would probably direct the airflow straight out of the case! That would be friggin' tight. That alone has got to be worth some serious improvements in CPU and ambient temps.

ya, i'm probably gonna just set it up w/ stock hsf for a while with a mild oc, then when i really want to oc it i'll get either xp120 or zalman 9500. cuz ya thats a good point too, how it helps out airflow if its pointed to the back correctly. its like a second exhaust fan in the middle of the case :p

sleepeeg3 said:
That's a good point, but the major reason I would have wanted to try the CNP9500 is because of that lovely 120mm fan on the X-Qpack. If the socket is setup right, it would probably direct the airflow straight out of the case! That would be friggin' tight. That alone has got to be worth some serious improvements in CPU and ambient temps.

My dream system would be to stick a Scythe Ninja in the case. It'd just about fill the entire volume of space in front of the 120mm fan if the rail was cut, so the sucking of the 120mm would cool the CPU down INCREDIBLY.

Only downside is that the CPU socket would have to be basically dead center underneath that open void in front of the 120, and none of them are (on the Jetway, the CPU socket is well under the DVD drive, so not even the CNPS-9500 would fit).

Anyway, Scythe Ninja would rock. XBit's review has it beating the CNPS-9500 nicely, has no stupid LEDs, and would be quieter (no fan, only the case 120mm running).

yeah, the scythe ninja, already being a fanless heatsink, plus the exhaust fan would probably work extremely well. and its quieter (duh, fanless) than the competition, and works a little better, too :eek:

lets hope someone releases a tforce 430 mobo w/ the processor socket in the exact right spot :D otherwise i'll probably just go for whichever i can get for cheaper between the xp120+fan and cnps9500.

Back