Will the R580 be better than G71...or at least AS GOOD??

Although imo, the G71 will cream ATi in the performance segment, not to mention the marketing segment. For those of you that dont know, NV is going to sell its 7800GTX's ( I think even the 512's ) for $299, making a lot of room for its successor, 7900. Although I believe the 7900 is also going to be marketed at a lower price, to make room for the G71, because the 7900 is just a G70 clocked to 650MHz. I hear the max you can get out of these cards is 720MHz , so the G71 is most likely going to be a force that cant be stopped by anything ATi can throw together.

differences between a 7900 and a 7800:

slightly increase in core clocks
hits the market at a low MSRP
slightly cheaper to make?

other then that there is no differences, the 7900GT is going to hit the market MSRP'd at 300, the 7900GTX at 400 and the 7900GTX512 at 500, these cards are refreshes there is nothing about a refresh ever that really seperated the card from the product its refreshing OTHER THEN the X1900's

as far as price bracket goes, they are already going to hit the market with an extreme competition going on already, ATI slashed their prices from their already cheaper prices, the X1900XTX could go as cheap as the low 400's by the time the 7900GTX512 hits, which might make ATI a clear buying choice

so ever since the 7900's were announced, and the rumors of it enabling another whopping quad were set to rest, and they were just upping core clocks, i've come the conlusion that if you are only interested in buying NV then wait, if you wanted to buy a card now theres no reason to wait and get the X1900's or 7800 counterpart (unless of course price)

One more difference I believe the 7900 series are supposed to support HDCP with a built in encryption key chip.

Back