Will the Corsair H50 or H70 take a 980X to 4GHz?

5259976598_834e8be2db_b.jpg
Ugh, I've got my i7-950 @ 3.75 and it does about 25k ppd running bigadv units. heat is an issue with 2 460's (no exhaust) dumping heat into the case. Either way, i'm insanely jealous of you good sir.

curious to hear about the OP's results, mostly with regards to subjective thoughts about noise. I've got a Venomous X, but if the H70 can do any better at the same noise levels or better, then I'm going to be considering it

Ugh, I've got my i7-950 @ 3.75 and it does about 25k ppd running bigadv units. heat is an issue with 2 460's (no exhaust) dumping heat into the case. Either way, i'm insanely jealous of you good sir.

curious to hear about the OP's results, mostly with regards to subjective thoughts about noise. I've got a Venomous X, but if the H70 can do any better at the same noise levels or better, then I'm going to be considering it

are you folding on your gpu's same time your doing the big adv?? if so thats why your PPD is really lows. its either gpu and smp folding (non biadadv) or bigadv folding dont do both on same machine it kills your PPD.

do a real water cooling system, you will be much happier with the result

whys that i can hit 4.7gzh on my h70 and game all day no problem just slowly testing back up to 4.7 with F@H. currently at 4.4ghz

i have no maintenance really dont have to worry about leaks or any of the hassles that come with a full blown water cooling setup been there done that per fer the h70 right now.

are you folding on your gpu's same time your doing the big adv?? if so thats why your PPD is really lows. its either gpu and smp folding (non biadadv) or bigadv folding dont do both on same machine it kills your PPD.
Not to drag this too off topic, but yea, doing both GPU's with bigadv running at the same time. I can make the deadlines (barely) and get bigger total PPD than doing GPU's and normal SMP at the same time, but if I can exceed the total from my 460's by doing bigadv alone, it'd probably save power and be worth the switch.

Not to drag this too off topic, but yea, doing both GPU's with bigadv running at the same time. I can make the deadlines (barely) and get bigger total PPD than doing GPU's and normal SMP at the same time, but if I can exceed the total from my 460's by doing bigadv alone, it'd probably save power and be worth the switch.

youll get more PPD by just big adv it. without the gpu's

Basic rule of thumb: never expect to push a chip above 4ghz on air cooler (including the H50/70). Most people will reach 4.0ghz and will not be able to move further. But i'd say an h50 could sit it at a stable 4ghz

whys that i can hit 4.7gzh on my h70 and game all day no problem just slowly testing back up to 4.7 with F@H. currently at 4.4ghz

i have no maintenance really dont have to worry about leaks or any of the hassles that come with a full blown water cooling setup been there done that per fer the h70 right now.

lol, good job :)

what are you running for fans?

yeah and you do not have maintenance because h50/70 has a lot of glycol, if I put that stuff in my WC system I would not need to change my coolant ever, but there are trade offs, mostly cooling performance trade offs

honestly I rarely change my coolant, I have one rig sitting here that is an original 64 bit opteron on water
cooling... it has never be changed and NEVER leaked

I have never had a water cooling leak in my life

I have never seen a WC system leak when assembled by a person that doesn't smoke crack... but I have actually seen 2 h50's leak, one after a year of use, the other was leaking in the box and was nearly empty when it got to my customer (and one h70, but it does not count... it was dropped and cracked open as a result)

you may hit 4.7GHz, but I doubt you do it 24/7... and I bet your running your fans loud as a jet plane...

I however have 2 24/7 water rigs that are near silent, the HTPC actually is silent

and all the rigs I have are cooling not only the CPU but the GPU as well

I would like to see an h50/70 do that without a pair of 125+ CFM, 3000+ rpm fans... and shrouds... THEY CAN'T

Back