Will the Corsair H50 or H70 take a 980X to 4GHz?

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
Im looking at getting a 980X and going for at least 4GHz at the minimum.

Would the H50 or H70 (assuming the H70 is better) do the job? Thanks.

I wouldn't expect much more than 4GHz (esp. when I know you're asking 4GHz at minimum), when other factors like individual motherboard and chip capability come into play.

As far as air coolers go though, either the H50/H70 / Megahalems / Venomous X will take you as close to your goals as you can get.

I other factors like individual motherboard and chip capability come into play.

Well, right. But im specifically asking about cooling performance. Can the H50 or H70 cool a 6 core chip @ 4GHz? I got my i7-920 to 4GHz on Air with a thermalright HSF, but I would prefer the quietness of the H50/70, as long as it performance on par or better than Air Cooling.

you'll be at the limit of the H50. I'd go for the H70. Of course full blown WC would be best. Thats my next step :p

Well, right. But im specifically asking about cooling performance. Can the H50 or H70 cool a 6 core chip @ 4GHz? I got my i7-920 to 4GHz on Air with a thermalright HSF, but I would prefer the quietness of the H50/70, as long as it performance on par or better than Air Cooling.

People call it 'water cooling' but since it's a 100% closed loop it's still basically an air cooler in my eyes. Peformance-wise, as I said, it's on par with any of the other top air coolers.

The H50 will do it, but its at its limits. Thats keeping the house at 70F, it runs about 72C folding. Rubycon over at Anandtech posted the H70 beat the Venomous X on her 980X by a couple of C.

You won't be able to turn Hyper Threading on with the H50 or H70 under maximum load. The H50/70 is an OK cooler for 1366 procs.

Depending on his voltages his temps will sky rocket with it on. I was hitting almost 90c with my lapped H50 in push/pull with yate loon high speed fans under linx @ 4.2 w/ HT @ 1.32 vcore on my 930 with ambient temps around 70-75. with HT off it barely made it over 75ish.

You have to have air flow over the cooling surface reguardless if its heatsink fins or radiator fins. So my peanut galley comment would be that expecting radially less noise from fans for a WC system where a high end OC is expected has the following problem.

Its all about fin surface area and the cfm over/through them. The radiators of the H50 and H70 would get you to 4 GHz and maybe/possibly a little quieter than an air setup but not a whole lot quieter. Not so much as you would be happy I think.

I have to agree with one of the posters above

4GHz at a minimum and fairly quiet is a call for a big raidator. 3x120 or 3x140 even better if you really do not want to limit your OC and are not interested in exotic solutions. What you loose in lower CFM to reduce the noise you make up in fin area.

With your stated goal I would not consider anything with a small rad.

I mean, I did a 920 to 4Ghz on Air... 45nm, Thermalright 120 whatever it was... How could the Corsair not do it?

I just really wanted some reassurance before I dropped 110$ for it. Ill just get some random air cooling then.

Depending on his voltages his temps will sky rocket with it on. I was hitting almost 90c with my lapped H50 in push/pull with yate loon high speed fans under linx @ 4.2 w/ HT @ 1.32 vcore on my 930 with ambient temps around 70-75. with HT off it barely made it over 75ish.

mine hits ~82*C at 4.1GHz and 1.29 vcore, stock h50 with two antec tricools :)

mine hits ~82*C at 4.1GHz and 1.29 vcore, stock h50 with two antec tricools :)

...and with two more cores to handle it'd probably saturate and get to stupid high temps. That seems the consensus of the thread, and is no surprise since this is just a 120mm rad. People expect far too much from the H50/H70.

...and with two more cores to handle it'd probably saturate and get to stupid high temps. That seems the consensus of the thread, and is no surprise since this is just a 120mm rad. People expect far too much from the H50/H70.

Well Thats super shitty. Looks like I will be sticking to the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme.

Random observation: the OP is looking to cool a 980X, which is 32nm, and is smaller than a 920/930- and uses less power. Why then wouldn't something that can handle one of those a 4GHz not be able to handle the 980X? Especially considering that efficiency while overclocked increases with new processes in general, and looks to increase on Intel's 32nm node?

This H50 was cooling a 920 before it was the 980x so your observation I think makes sense.

Around mid 30s idling and upper 70s when running Prime 95 stress mode.

Well there we are, impressive. I stand corrected. ( have have always maintained even a small rad can dissipate huge amounts of heat but the fan noise from the required CFM is not what most people would put up with. This leads me to..... )

Stock fan ?
(bet I can find out looking up your previous posts but have to ask).
(lost that bet, can you give us some more details of your installation as far as mounting, air direction and fans ? It is obvious you did something right :D )

It was the noise issue that has me concerned about the OP's satisfaction. Also worried if the recommended cool air for intake mounting will be possbile.

I guess by basic cheapness is kicking in, if the OP has a TRUE I just dont see that big of an improvement over it with the H50/70 for the money and the noise concern worries me. But there it is, it can and has been done.

I wonder if the 980 due to its superior "binning" needs less voltage than some other models thus helping the situation.

I just keep coming back to the 'bang for buck" which seems marginal, and I like to get people into water if they are willing so its a hard question.

You will do fine with an H70. It will get you to 4.0GHz. It is totally comparable to other high end coolers and as was posted the H70 beat the Venomous X. I plan on trying for 4.2 GHz.

edit:OC didn't work, lol

Last edited:
Unless you got a terrible batch that should be easy..

mine sits @ 4.7 on water with a 1.4vcore and temps are the last of my concerns.

Last edited:
To the original poster:

Yes, they Both will.

I've had an 980x running at 4.0 or higher since it was first released. I've run it with a true120, an h50, and now an h70.

I've had it running stable at 4.25 with all 3 heatsinks. (vcore 1.41).

Temps very greatly. I'm not at home right now so I can't run an example for you.

I do a lot of HD video encoding (sony vegas pro) which is much heavier on the cpu than any game. Off the top of my head, at idle, 4.25 ghz / 1.41v, it idles around 35c. Max load on all 6 cores during a long video rendering is between 70-80C.

Couple of notes. My goal was to build as small, and as silent, a pc that would fit a gtx295 and my 6 hard drives. My case is tiny and the airflow inside poor, though dead silent. Also, I have always been willing to accept higher temps in exchange for silence, as im too old to think loud pcs are cool anymore.

Will update this post next week. But to answer your question, yes both units will allow you to oc and ov the 980 to over 4.0.

Thanks. I appreciate all the responses, both negative and positive. The goal was to get superior cooling to allow 4GHz. I would like the setup to be quieter than an Air cooler that will take me to 4GHz, but that is only a luxury. The Necessity is 4GHz without throttling due to heat, no more, no less.

Thanks all. I will be getting the H70 and seeing how far I can go. I will post some results but it will be a few weeks as I am going back to the States for a month :)

The H70 is 6C cooler than the H50 under 100% load.
I'm sure the H50 would cool your 980X decently @ 4ghz but, I would say get the H70, because you want to keep your 980X as cool as possible.

The H70 is 6C cooler than the H50 under 100% load.
I'm sure the H50 would cool your 980X decently @ 4ghz but, I would say get the H70, because you want to keep your 980X as cool as possible.

Yeah, Im gonna get the H70. If I can get 4GHz stable ill be happy.

4.7ghz full load at 70c i backed it off to 4.5ghz so i stay around 63c full load. with the h70

i do have my side of my case always open.

The H70 is SO loud. I have one and replaced the fans with Noctua 1100RPM ones. I believe my [email protected] would be hotter than your 980X@4GHz. I idle around 38C and load at 72C max.

The H70 is SO loud. I have one and replaced the fans with Noctua 1100RPM ones. I believe my [email protected] would be hotter than your 980X@4GHz. I idle around 38C and load at 72C max.

i truely don't see how people say the h70 is loud. its pretty quiet actually and i have the side of my case off also. with push pull setup.

I have currently got a 920 at 4ghz using the H50 but I do not use stock fans. I currently use 2 silverstone 120x32mm fans at about 1600rpm in a Raven RV02. Peak temps are 76c idles at 36 for one set and 42 for the other set of cores. HT is on.

so it can be done but it isn't ideal.

I think with the H70 you should be good to go as long as you have some decent fans in a push/pull config on it.

As others have said, an H50 will do this without a problem, an H70 is even better. Here is my setup, running a poorly configured H50 with only a crappy medium speed yate loon pulling through the radiator running folding@home:

980xh50temps.png

Back