will the 9850 cut it...

in before intel.

That board should be fine. The problems were with the 780 chipsets, and that's a 790FX.

I'd go with the intel setup personally.

I don't see why that CPU wouldn't work as long as it has a bios that supports it.

The 9850 is a 125w TDP processor that's just too much for most of the 780G chipset boards........not because of the chipset, but because those boards generally have 3 or 4 phase power sections constructed with cheap capacitors that can't handle the current required for the CPU. I'm running a 9850 in an abit AX78 (4 phase PWM, solid Japanese caps) and it's doing fine with an additional 40mm fan on the PWM heatsink (55C full load). I have the CPU o/c'd to 3.0ghz and I'm folding SMP work units 24/7.:p

If you want a board with the 780/SB700 chipsets that supports the 125w processors, this does.

The OP never said anything about having a board, it sounded like he had a board in mind and wanted opinions.

If he already has the board, go for it. If not, I don't see any good reason to.

sounds like the op already has the board and it would cost him more to go intel route.

You always get what you pay for.For $30-50 it is stupid to take the lower performing , higher power and no headroom option.

just to clarify, im going with this board as it seems to be the best availiable to me, for the processor or the MA790FX-DQ9 (which Kyle didnt rate too highly.) price wise we are looking at AU$ 300 for the proc and $270/260 for the board (AMD), or a comparable intel set up. thanks for the feedback so far everyone. i suppose depending on which proc and mobo combo i go with will also determine the video card to. i think i just need to justify a processor and then i can deduce the board etc from that and i still cant make up my mind

Well, I'm running the GA-MA790FX-DQ6, and to be frank, if I had to choose over again I think I'd go with the Asus M3A32MVP you're considering there. The Gigabyte board is fine, but with a Phenom, it only runs the DDR2-1066 ram stably if the RAM includes EPP.

with a 9850 u will need benchmark programs to tell the speed difference......still a very nice chip

Well, I'm running the GA-MA790FX-DQ6, and to be frank, if I had to choose over again I think I'd go with the Asus M3A32MVP you're considering there. The Gigabyte board is fine, but with a Phenom, it only runs the DDR2-1066 ram stably if the RAM includes EPP.

In what ways did the stability problems manifest? Was it Memtest errors or desktop problems such as crashes and hard locks? I'm curious cus I'm running that MB with an 9850 @ 2.6 (all bow to my leet OC Kung FU!!!) for 2 weeks 24/7 with 2 instances of FAH and not a single problem. This is with 4 x 1 gig sticks of Corsair Dominator 1066s. I do need to buy another AM2 board so my 5000BE will have a home in my media server...

In what ways did the stability problems manifest? Was it Memtest errors or desktop problems such as crashes and hard locks? I'm curious cus I'm running that MB with an 9850 @ 2.6 (all bow to my leet OC Kung FU!!!) for 2 weeks 24/7 with 2 instances of FAH and not a single problem. This is with 4 x 1 gig sticks of Corsair Dominator 1066s. I do need to buy another AM2 board so my 5000BE will have a home in my media server...

Hi SatTech! Well, it manifested in blue screens and an occasional hard-lock necessitating a hard reset. And it was happening with two different sets of RAM: Patriot and Geil Black Dragon. One stick of the Patriot went bad and is being RMA'd. That kit has EPP and the board sets it up properly. But the Geil doesn't have EPP, and the ONLY way to get it to run at DDR2-1066 is to jump start with other RAM, set voltage (2.3v), and then swap in the Geil, reboot, and then set the divider (x5.33) . It will not run stably at 5-5-5-15, nor 5-5-5-18. It only runs with timings set to AUTO, which gets me 5-7-7-24-31.. UGH! My gut suggests it is something particular to just this one board, but we'll know soon; I have a new kit of Corsair coming any day now. If that runs fine and passes a few hours of Prime95, we'll know which. :(

Ok, thanks for the answer. I haven't seen any of those problems at all. I haven't futzed with any of the BIOS mem settings however. I'm going to rebuild my media server in a few months and will need an AM2 board. I'm looking for alternatives right now. It may get this Gigabyte board if there's something significantly better available to put this Phenom in.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQyMSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

in this board?
just need a few people to bounce some thoughts off. is it worth building a system around this or should i jump to the intel setup...discuss. will the 9850 be tested under this board and vice versa. thanks for any input all.

Have you bought either yet ? If your dead set on helping keep AMD on life support,well,its a good chip @ stock,that can be oc'd with some work.

How much 'work' depends on your talent,and patience.For most users its more
then enough computing power regardless of the endeavor you set yourself towards.

If you are interested in bang for buck,ease of use (especially for oveclocking)
and overall power (IPC/wanting a chip with low heat output),stock or oc'd,then
your in the wrong sub forum.

no i havent purchased anything, i was hoping that the phenom 9850 Black would yeild stable , reasonable and flexible mid term o/cing options compared with any other intel options in the same price range. the 6600 is just under 50 AUD cheaper than this chip where i am. if anyone cares to comment on the two against each other, by all means. again i know which forum i am in.

depends. If you are going to be gaming etc then take the Q6600, its a baby to overclock. If you are going for an HTPC, take the 780g.

The Q6600 beats the 9850 in every catogory

It's cheaper
It has better performance
It consumes less power
It has more overclocking potential

"About" the same isn't the same though. The Q6600 still edges out.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3272&p=8

There are over a dozen benchmarks there. The 9850 ties the Q6600 in one, and bearly manages to edge it out in two others. The rest has the Q6600 on top, many times by a significant margin.

After looking at those benchmark numbers I'm glad I went with my X2 6400 Black Edition instead of fooling with waiting on the 9850 or switching over to a Q6600.

Back