Will the 6800GS be enough for a 2405?

LiquidX

2[H]4U
Well I'am trying to sell my GTX and already bought a lower end card..the 6800GS but this was all before I was able to get Dell 2405FPW extreamly cheap. I did plan on trying to play games on my 21" CRT at a minimum of 1200x1024 with the GS a step down from my GTX. So basically my question is will games be able to run lower than the native resolution on the 2405FPW with no problems using the GS?

I dont want to get rid of the GTX if the GS will run on a 2405 like crap. Opinions much appreciated.

it wont run like crap, but at native res a bunch of aa and af and details will have 2 b turned down. keep the gtx, games are advancing FAST

You can run native res at 1920x1200 but your gonna have to decrease your quality settings cause a 6800GS aint gonna feed games like FEAR and Quake 4 at that resolution, you'll have a nice slide show and with HDR coming out, forget it.

You can run lower resolutions but be prepared for a quality hit as is the trait of LCD's they don't do non native resolutions very well.

Well, it's a very subjective answer. Most of which depends on what your level of "acceptable" is, and how much eye-candy you like to turn on.

The GS is a great little card, but in my opinion the answer would be no. I play a lot of first-person shooters competitively... so I'm a glorified frame rate whore. The more the better. And 1900 is an insane resolution to be running the newer games at.

But, one thing to look forward to, at 1900x1200 you're not going to need any AA.

It all depends on the game and the settings you choose

For me, everything is in "how much better will it make Enemy Territory run using 1280x768"

Thanks all but the main thing I want to know is weather the monitor runs games good outside of its default settings and resolution without any quirks. I already know the GS is capable of handleing nearly every game out now at 1200X1024 but at 1900x1200 I know it will be a uphill battle which I would will like to avoid if I can. Also is it healthy to run games at 1200X1024 on the 2045FPW?

LiquidX said:
Thanks all but th Also is it healthy to run games at 1200X1024 on the 2045FPW?

I think you mean 1280x1024 and yes its possible, but you will either have to

A: Strech it to fill the screen thereby distorting it
B: Adjust for video card output so you have a black box surrounding the picture but running at its correct size

IceWind said:

B: Adjust for video card output so you have a black box surrounding the picture but running at its correct size

Ok thats good to know, for what I am getting it at I can make some changes with bars on the side so I dont think I will have a problem with that...I hope. :cool:

Thanks all.

This thread is a good example of why I don't think widescreen LCD's are good for gaming.

/puts on flame suit.

PoweredBySoy said:
This thread is a good example of why I don't think widescreen LCD's are good for gaming.

/puts on flame suit.

noob92ww.jpg

IceWind said:

A better solution would be to set the LCD to 1280x800. :)

As long as your run a 16:10 Ratio the Dell 24" (And 20") Widescreens scale just fine. Or your could always add a second GS and SLI em....

Back