Will the 5900X or 5800X be your next gaming CPU?

Will the 5900X or 5800X be your next gaming CPU?

• 5900X

Votes: 73 55.3%
  • 5800X

Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Neither/I'm waiting for next gen

Votes: 34 25.8%

• Total voters

vjhawk

Limp Gawd
So from what I understand Zen 3 makes an architectural leap that will provide an additional 19% in IPC performance. And from what AMD reveals this means that they finally beat Intel at gaming. Per the slides the 5900X defeats the 10900k pretty much across the board except for one scenario where they lose out by -1% which is close enough to be a draw due to variance.

Another thing we've been told is that one reason for performance gains is the unified CCX design that now clusters 8 cores around a single big 32 MB cache that they all access directly.
Meanwhile the 5900X should essentially be a downgraded 5950X with 4 cores disabled that features two of these new unified CCX core clusters glued together.
In terms of raw performance the 5900X should be better than the 5800X because 12 cores > 8. But isn't there some added latency between the two CCX cores linked through Infinity Fabric or no?

Will the 5800X be able to pull slightly ahead of the 5900X in game performance because of this slight latency difference, or will the overall brute force of the 5900X mean that it still is the best gaming CPU?

And finally the big question, which CPU will you pick to be the heart of your gaming system?

I'm leaning toward the 5900X because I already run a 3700X so this feels like a bigger upgrade. But how about you? With your current CPU/system, what would you pick? Are are you sitting tight and waiting for Ryzen 4 or Meteor Lake. Or will you go for a 5600X, wait for the 5700X to release, etc. So many possibilities. Can't wait for those independent Ryzen 3 benchmarks to come out already!

Glad i passed on the 3x series. :) The 5800x or 5900x is both looking very good.

Lots of good options right now for people to pick from. I built a 10700k for gaming recently (workstation is TR), but were I building right now it would probably be 5800X. As-is, I'll be waiting for the next generation, but I'm curious what the Zen3 Threadripper options are going to be. I just built my 3960X, but ... I could see doing an upgrade if there's enough there to justify it.

Have a 3700x, only game in 1080, so not sure I really have a need, but, if someone will buy it for $200, I might be convinced to upgrade.

Going for a 5900x build. I think I'm going to see a good set of performance gains from my current setup of 8700 (non k) and 1080 (non ti). Now if only I can get my hands on a 3080...planning to have this setup used for work/games.

Voted neither, as I’ll be going 5950x. It’s not that much more than a 5900 grand scheme, has higher clocks, and more cpu for things other than gaming without going full TR crazy.

Have a 3700x, only game in 1080, so not sure I really have a need, but, if someone will buy it for $200, I might be convinced to upgrade.
Considering the 5600x is going to be $300 and the 5800x is going to be like $450, I don't think the 3700x is going to drop that quickly.

Voted neither, as I’ll be going 5950x. It’s not that much more than a 5900 grand scheme, has higher clocks, and more cpu for things other than gaming without going full TR crazy.
This is how I'm leaning as well. I'm waiting for benchmarks but I have a problem where I just look at what is the best and most expensive thing and buy that when it comes to PC parts. Buy once, cry once.

If I was gonna pony up for a 5800X, I would drop the extra hundo on the 5900X. Just makes sense.

However, I'm waiting to see if a 5700(X) drops

mhm doesnt it have a 100Mhz plus in Turbo (likely one core) but 300mhz slower BASE clock vs the 5900x?
I wanted the 5950x but it seems the 5900x will give me the best improvement beating the 10900k in pretty much every game plus of course, winning in other apps.
This may be my first AMD build since the Phenom ii!

There should have been a 5950X option. That's what I'm going for.

If there turns out to be a reasonable real world advantage to the 5900 over the 3900 for my typical usage, and if it works on my mb, and if AMD avoids the whole 3080 release fiasco, then I'll probably go for one.

I'm 99% sure that I'll be upgrading to a 5900X this winter once they are easily available for MSRP. Going to do a drop-in upgrade with my existing x570 motherboard. The 5800X is tempting. I'm currently using a 3900X. I probably should have gone with a 3700X or 3800X instead because I don't really do much that uses 12 cores and the main game that I care about doesn't even make full use of 4 cores. But now that I have a 3900X, it would feel bad to "upgrade" to a CPU that has less cores, so I'll probably go 5900X. Although the main game I play doesn't really use more than 4 cores, it does benefit significantly from higher IPC per core

Another thing we've been told is that one reason for performance gains is the unified CCX design that now clusters 8 cores around a single big 32 MB cache that they all access directly.
Meanwhile the 5900X should essentially be a downgraded 5950X with 4 cores disabled that features two of these new unified CCX core clusters glued together.
In terms of raw performance the 5900X should be better than the 5800X because 12 cores > 8. But isn't there some added latency between the two CCX cores linked through Infinity Fabric or no?

Will the 5800X be able to pull slightly ahead of the 5900X in game performance because of this slight latency difference, or will the overall brute force of the 5900X mean that it still is the best gaming CPU?

The 5900X will have 64MB L3 cache total, with each 6-core CCX having it's own 32MB. That is more cache per core, both because that 32MB cache will only be split among 6 cores rather than 8, and because cores on a different CCX will have access to their very own cache. I'm curious about how cores will be prioritized. Like if you have a game that uses 4 cores, will it try to use 4 cores on one CCX, or two cores on each? My guess is that certain games will favor the 5900X and others will favor the 5800X.

Well the 5950X has a 100mhz higher Boost clock compared to the 5900X, but a 300Mhz lower base clock. Whether that slightly higher boost clock is enough to offset the considerably lower base clock depends on how well it boosts I suppose.

Last edited:
I was waiting for Zen3, but the value I was expecting is just not there. I'll keep my 3700X a bit longer it seems. Probably until a Zen3 refresh comes that drops the price on the 5900X to around $450.

I had thought about it when AMD came out with the 19% IPC improvements but since the 3600X is going to be $300 I don't think it's going to be worth it. My 3700X is only about 7 months old and is doing fine so think I'll wait a while longer. $300 just ain't worth it when you also consider I'd have to upgrade my motherboard and reinstall my OS again.

I'm upgrading to a 5900x because , I already have a good x570 motherboard and i sold my 3900x a week before this annoucement for what i paid for it.

I fell like 5900x is future proof enough that I can use it for video editing on top of gaming. I just hate buying the garbage high wattage 5800 silicon that can't be used for anything but a 5800 due to leakage. at least with the 5600, 5900, and 5950 you are getting quality low power silicon that passes binning for low power.

I'll be upgrading from an 1800X on X370 to a 5900X. I'm chasing the dragon and FS2020 is cpu limited.

Last edited:
5900X if I get love from AMD/AIBs on my 470 board, but more than anything looking forward to sub-$300 3900X's.

I already bought a motherboard so I am all in on Zen 3. Not sure which I will end up getting, though. Probably a 5900x as a first choice, 5800x second.

I voted neither, will be going 5950X. Question is will I be able to get one of those or a 3080 first?

Only 5000 series I would possibly upgrade too will be the 5950X, I'm never gonna ugprade to less or equal cores.

I also do more than just game on this system and a used 5950X in 2ish years seems like a perfect spot to carry through AM5 launch and growing pains.

Upgrading from X79 Intel. Will probably buy the 5900x, don't care if Zen3 won't help FPS@ 4K gaming. Also going with the best and biggest Navi. Team Red all the way! AM4 X570+ $550 cpu is affordable.

Marketing Voodoo shenanigans. AMD went from 3000 series to 5000 series because it sounds and looks better than 4000 series. The higher number and skipping a generation indicate magical levels of performance gain... Shut up and take my money, AMD!

Fry_Futurama_shut_up_and_take_my_money_AMD_meme.png

I have serious doubts that it will be "that much" better than the 3000 series. We'll just have to wait for some real-world testing I guess.

I'm hoping for good used deals on 3900x. However, it seems most people tend try to squeeze every last dollar on used gear. In reality, there will probably be brand new deals which make buying used, moot.

i'll probably go with the 5800x and sit on that for the next 3-4 years, don't see anything coming out after that's going to make a drastic difference in performance and DDR5's going to take a couple years before it's worth upgrading to.

I'm hoping for good used deals on 3900x. However, it seems most people tend try to squeeze every last dollar on used gear. In reality, there will probably be brand new deals which make buying used, moot.

keep an eye on retail, you'll likely see some random deals on newegg which in turn amazon matches while they try to get rid of non XT zen 2 chips. hard to find any used deals on high end cpu's on enthusiast forums since most people just move the processors to secondary rigs and get rid of the cpu's from those.

Last edited:
i'll probably go with the 5800x and sit on that for the next 3-4 years, don't see anything coming out after that's going to make a drastic difference in performance and DDR5's going to take a couple years before it's worth upgrading to.

Well, us, enthusiasts upgrade for less than that. Remember when Intel was the only contender? Folks would upgrade for 3%~5% better performance and, albeit questionable, more overclocking potential. AMD might have four threads per CPU with Zen 4 amongst other things. They're like the NVIDIA of CPUs right now :LOL:

This poll makes no sense to me... the 5600x will be within 5% performance of 5900X in all games, even at 1080p so why would I spend more? Selling 3600x and buying 5600x. The argument that you need more cores right now is clearly disproven here: https://www.techspot.com/article/2113-ryzen-3600-rtx-3080-combo/

because clock speeds yo, they're everything.. ;) but yeah i agree the 5600x will be close enough and i've stuck with the x600 chips with each series for that very reason.

This poll makes no sense to me... the 5600x will be within 5% performance of 5900X in all games, even at 1080p so why would I spend more? Selling 3600x and buying 5600x. The argument that you need more cores right now is clearly disprove here: https://www.techspot.com/article/2113-ryzen-3600-rtx-3080-combo/
After leaning toward 5800x then 5900x (after price announcement) I might go back to 5800x (more future proof) then 5600x.... However if 5600x 150USD cheaper than 5800x will give me pretty much the same gaming performance... hmmmm... what and how many games will take advantage of 8/16 CPUs over 6/12 CPUs?

This poll makes no sense to me... the 5600x will be within 5% performance of 5900X in all games, even at 1080p so why would I spend more? Selling 3600x and buying 5600x. The argument that you need more cores right now is clearly disproven here: https://www.techspot.com/article/2113-ryzen-3600-rtx-3080-combo/
Going for less than 8 cores/16 threads is stupid, if you plan on keeping the computer for more than 2 years.

According to steam stats 8 cores are reaching 50% share in about 2 years. Consoles are using 8 cores/16 threads starting this year.

Back