Will the 5900X or 5800X be your next gaming CPU?

Will the 5900X or 5800X be your next gaming CPU?

• 5900X

Votes: 73 55.3%
  • 5800X

Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Neither/I'm waiting for next gen

Votes: 34 25.8%

• Total voters
On Zen 2 the dual CCD chips have a big advantage over the single CCD chips.

Due to what, the increased cache? If so, wouldn't that also apply to Zen3?

I dunno where you're going but if you really want a 5900x, go for it shrugs.

I'm not asking for permission to buy a processor, I'm having a discussion on a discussion board.

The 5900x won't have the ideal cores to ccx arrangement by the mere fact of it's core count.

Then why does this not seem to hurt the performance of the 3900X, where I assume 3 cores per CCX instead of 4 is not "ideal" either?

Dude, you would answer all these questions by researching the Zen 2 architecture.

Dude, you would answer all these questions by researching the Zen 2 architecture.

I'm aware of the CCX and CCD layout of Zen 2, yet the 3900X is still equal or faster than the 3800X both in situations where the 3900X has to cross an additional CCX compared to the 3800X (such as the quad-core benchmark posted earlier), as well as cases where the 3900X has to cross over to a completely different CCD (such as the octa-core benchmark posted earlier).

5800X has the ideal single 8 CCX layout but will the much larger L3 cache of the 5900X make up for that?

Very good question...

Last edited:
I will be waiting until the reviews come out. I still don't understand how something can be faster without faster clock speed. Is Zen 3 just supposed to 'feel' snappier? Or how is the supposed improvement in speed actually measured?

I still don't understand how something can be faster without faster clock speed. Is Zen 3 just supposed to 'feel' snappier?

Well frequency pretty much plateaued about a decade ago. Many people clocked their 2500K to 5Ghz back in 2011, and there are CPU's today that still can't hit 5Ghz. But if you've ever heard of the term "IPC", that stands for Instructions Per Clock. The higher the IPC, the more work a core is doing relative to it's clock speed. Clock speed, on it's own, is only one piece of the puzzle.

how is the supposed improvement in speed actually measured?

Benchmarks...

Was checking used 3900X prices yesterday and I might try and get a 5900X and sell my 3900X. Not quite the time to pass it down to the wife (the plan is when Zen 4/AM5 comes) and considering I had a good price on it it would be a pretty cheap upgrade (X570 mobo already).

Still have that itch nV couldn't scratch, too.

5000 Series is nearly 2.5 years old now (11/05/2020 release).

Doesn't feel that long... or is that even a long time :ROFLMAO:

5000 Series is nearly 2.5 years old now (11/05/2020 release).

Doesn't feel that long... or is that even a long time :ROFLMAO:
funny seeing this pop up again and seeing that i picked the 5800x back then.. ended up sticking with my 3600x until 7k series released and finally picked up a 5900x a month ago.

I still (for myself, to justify the price and make it worth it to myself) gotta get at least 4 more years outta this system, GPU upgrades aside

Edit: I got my 5950x in April 2021 - I was constantly hunting/camping inventory Youtubers because this was during PC Apocalypse - I had been trying to buy the 5950x since Dec 2020/Jan 2021 - I don't pay over MSRP for anything ✋

Last edited:
I had to go back and look at my original post in this thread. At the time I had a 3900x but in 2021 I built a whole new rig and went with the 5900x. My 5900x and 6700 XT do great together at 1440p/144hz.

Back