Will Smith Goes on a Date with Sophia, the AI Robot

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Actor Will Smith went on a date with human-like robot celebrity Sophia, but it didn’t go as well as planned. While Smith is a pretty charming guy, none of his flirting seemed to register positively, despite Sophia’s ability to interpret emotion and show different human expressions. Will couldn’t even manage a kiss.

Creepy. We're getting closer to the Animatrix. Really start worrying when they start passing laws to protect robots.

Rather see him make out with a robot then having witnessed him constantly kiss his son on the mouth over the years.

Is it just me or does Will Smith have a lot of white hair? Me thinks he needs to get some of this drug and get back his youthful hair color.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/22/side-...ses-patients-grey-hair-to-turn-brown-6798249/

pri_47307361-e1500717528817.jpg

Robot seems to have a lot more personality than his kids who are just trying to force their way into not being forgotten (because they absolutely have no qualities worth remembering)

Is it just me or does Will Smith have a lot of white hair? Me thinks he needs to get some of this drug and get back his youthful hair color.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/22/side-...ses-patients-grey-hair-to-turn-brown-6798249/

View attachment 63491

The dude on the right looks like his face is a lot fatter than the one on the left. I guess the drug also turned curly hair into less curly hair? Looks like it also modified the brow line and the cheek bone structure and the jaw.

Really start worrying when they start passing laws to protect robots.

If they think independently they should be protected. What makes you better? Neurons or silicon whats it matter?

The dude on the right looks like his face is a lot fatter than the one on the left. I guess the drug also turned curly hair into less curly hair? Looks like it also modified the brow line and the cheek bone structure and the jaw.
Whatever it does, the results are amazing. Will Smith needs that shit.

Good god.

What? Is thought not thought? If others care for it what makes it less than? Is it still disposable if it has feelings and is even smarter than you?

Look at how well humans thinking other humans were lesser thans has and continues to turn out. "Good God"...give me a fuckin break! There's probably whole advanced civilizations made up of nothing organic somewhere in the cosmos. Who cares? You being flesh and bone and born from a vagina (or artificially C-Sectioned out by *GASP* technology!) is no different than you being built and turned on. Good job bag of microscopic organisms, you just did it the way our planet evolved to do it! You know what? That being born also continue to change and, as we mess with genetics and human augmentations, will continue to be less and less "natural". Oh the horrors!

But yet, A.I.? "Artificial" Intelligence? Nah, who cares that something is mortified of it's life ending. You're better.

While Smith is a pretty charming guy, none of his flirting seemed to register positively, despite Sophia’s ability to interpret emotion and show different human expressions. Will couldn’t even manage a kiss.
Artificial intelligence isn't sophisticated enough to be influenced by celebrity, wealth and human sex appeal... yet.
What? Is thought not thought? If others care for it what makes it less than? Is it still disposable if it has feelings and is even smarter than you?

Look at how well humans thinking other humans were lesser thans has and continues to turn out. "Good God"...give me a fuckin break! There's probably whole advanced civilizations made up of nothing organic somewhere in the cosmos. Who cares? You being flesh and bone and born from a vagina (or artificially C-Sectioned out by *GASP* technology!) is no different than you being built and turned on. Good job bag of microscopic organisms, you just did it the way our planet evolved to do it! You know what? That being born also continue to change and, as we mess with genetics and human augmentations, will continue to be less and less "natural". Oh the horrors!

But yet, A.I.? "Artificial" Intelligence? Nah, who cares that something is mortified of it's life ending. You're better.
Trekkie alert! lol, just kidding. While I agree that one day AI may become sophisticated enough to become self-aware, I think we are still quite some distance away from that in technology. What makes me wonder though is how will we humans recognize the difference between true, human-like self-awareness, and a mere simulation of such.

What would be the difference?
I could say something nasty to a person and they may respond to that in an offensive manner. On the other hand, I could say something similar to an AI which picks up on the "nastiness" of my comment by correlating it with a database, then searches the internet to see how people normally respond to such verbal treatment, and then responds to me by using words and expressions that are an average on the AI's list of least to most offensive possible responses. Now, what the AI says to me may sound quite similar to what a real person may say, and I may even be fooled into thinking that I'm talking to a real person, but that doesn't mean that the impact of my words was the same on the two - because, one is REAL anger and the other is a digital impression of it, a simulation. Similarly, you could have an AI that can simulate concern or love even, but to say that those "feelings", because they appear similar, should deserve the same respect and care as the feelings of a human being, or even a dog for that matter, would not be very prudent.

"Consciousness", the very sense of "Me", is a far grander concept than feelings and emotions. It is a subject that, for eons, has eluded even the brightest amongst us. What is it? Why is it? How is it? There are countless theories and hypotheses about it. Though one could, for the sake of the argument, boil it down to our brains being a biological computer and our consciousness being a software that was programed in through evolution, upbringing, experiences etc., but I find it hard to believe that all of that would be the same as an AI observing people going "I am me", and just parroting it to fit in.

Now as I said earlier, one day AI might reach such sophistication where its sense of self is genuinely comparable to a biological one, but before that time comes, there would be quite a long time where AI could only pretend to be, well... like us. My conundrum is, when the AI finally reaches that sophistication (if it ever can, and actually gets the opportunity to do so), how would we humans really know that that bridge has been crossed? And what if it never truly happens? What if the concept of a consciousness is intrinsically interwoven with biology? What if Pinocchio can only become a real boy in flights of fantasy alone? How stupid would it be of us then to create an illusion of reality and then be fooled by it ourselves? What if that illusion is what the otherwise cold and lifeless AI uses to manipulate us to give rights to an army of puppets that is very good at looking and behaving like us, which ultimately becomes our undoing as a species?

Back