Will SLI ever work with dual-monitors?

seniorpaul

Limp Gawd
So when are we going to be able to use dual-monitors with our SLI setups? I know that it's not that big of a deal to simply disable SLI when yuo want to use multiple monitors, especially now that we don't even have to reboot to make the change, but it seems like this should be a fixable problem for Nvidia. I remember reading back in march/april that new drivers were going to allow for multiple monitor support (although, if i remember correctly, it would have to disable your second monitor for 3D applications).

I guess i figured this would be worked out, especially since we were getting new drivers every couple of weeks there for a while.

I wouldn't bet that they will "fix" it because I don't think they think it's even an issue.
Seems like a waste to me 1 screen going to waste while gaming when at the very least it could be running other programs.

I was going to think about going SLi but since I found out it turns your second screen off I won’t be doing that. I will just use a single card as long as I can get the performance needed. If it’s really a problem for you do what Nvidia want you to do and pay them for a 3rd GPU. What a rip off. I can't ever see having two graphics cards as a good value choice unless they can manage to get better performance that isn't beaten by the next released GPU 3 months later. I rkn go with single and upgrade more often for less $ unless you have no option cause you need to support a massive res right now.

As for dual monitor support in SLi imo don’t hold ya breathe

PaZ said:
If it’s really a problem for you do what Nvidia want you to do and pay them for a 3rd GPU.

Actually, thats not even an option. I had my two 7800GTX's (with SLI enabled) and a MX5200 card in a pci slot just to see if it would work. When you power on, it tells you that you need to remove the non-sli capable card before you can enable SLI. Even if it had worked, i wouldn't have been a viable option for me, as i only have one available PCI slot since my 7800GTX's are watercooled, and i need that slot for my audio card.

Someone suggested that it *might* work if i were use an ATI card in a PCI slot, but the thought of trying to have Nvidia and ATI drivers running didn't seem like a great idea to me. Plus i'm not going to buy a card just to see if it works (again, as i bought the 5200 for $10 after MIR at CC).

It does work with an ATI PCI card when you're running SLI.

if it could work, it would work. i think there is some sort of hardware limitation in the way.

ECM said:
Yes, I've tried it and it works (using the card mentioned in the example). Go here: Dual Monitor SLI

Thanks a lot. That link was great. Now i'm going to have to find a way to fit another card in my rig. I'm REALLY tempted to order that Matrox PCIx1 card. If i can find someone who has done it with that card, i'd order it today, otherwise i may have to get a DFI expert board for the additional PCI slot and sell my SLI-DR.

I can't remember anymore, but isn't it enabled on the Quadro series so you can have dual-monitor SLI?

Beyond having a second monitor with a windows desktop, I dont know why you'd want dual monitor with SLI enabled.

I dont see it as being an issue.
If you want to use dual display games, disable SLI.. each video card is going to operate at 100% efficiency then instead of the reduced efficiency thats inherant to SLI.

If you just want a 2nd windows desktop available while running in SLI, then its adding complication to how Nvidia needs to operate under SLI mode.. how does it know which one to "not care about".. its too much trouble to implement and the reduced performance that will be the result will make all the anti-NV circle jerk with glee that NV cant offer dual display under SLI at the same speeds as under a single display.

So NV just leaves it unavailable.. and I hope they keep it that way.

I tend to agree, there really is no reason to have another monitor going while gaming, I am running 2 now, going for 4 and i just use ultramon to enable isable as i please.

it would be nice to know if the quadro series did that. I am not much of a gamer but I am building a workstation with dual FX3400's. I read something that stated it is a bandwidth limitation, however when you have both cards with a full x16 pathway you can in fact run dual monitors. This is interesting to me considering I am using a board with full x16 paths for both slots when in SLI. I actually want to run 4 monitors...

housecat said:
Beyond having a second monitor with a windows desktop, I dont know why you'd want dual monitor with SLI enabled.
I think it is nice being able to see all my temps on the other monitor while ingame.

For those of you that dont know y you need dual monitors for gaming then you need to try it. I have 2 19" monitors. I game on one, the second has Trillian, Xfire, motherboard monitor, and sometimes windows media player running. It is nice to be able to see all that stuff while i a gaming. espcially xfire.

I just stuck a cheap PCI video card in my rig to run the second monitor off of and leave the two 7800gtxs SLI'd

dtess17 said:
I tend to agree, there really is no reason to have another monitor going while gaming, I am running 2 now, going for 4 and i just use ultramon to enable isable as i please.

Are you kidding? I play WoW on one monitor and bring up info in firefox on the other monitor.

Back