Will Senheiser HD515 sound better at low volume with an amp?

DigitalN

Weaksauce
hey, I want my Senns to start having more bass when I turn them down. But when I turn them down to a decent level, there is no bass in them at all. I have it running straight from my Audigy 2, and even tried with my speakers. anyone got an answer?

DigitalN said:
hey, I want my Senns to start having more bass when I turn them down. But when I turn them down to a decent level, there is no bass in them at all. I have it running straight from my Audigy 2, and even tried with my speakers. anyone got an answer?
Upgrade the headphones first. Chances are that's going to yield the best performance for the price. (There are a lot of other headphones which have better bass at any volume level).

Sorry if this wasn't the answer you were looking for.

~Hope this helps

towert7 said:
Upgrade the headphones first. Chances are that's going to yield the best performance for the price. (There are a lot of other headphones which have better bass at any volume level).

Sorry if this wasn't the answer you were looking for.

~Hope this helps
I just bought these, be damned if I am dropping 300 more for the 590s.

DigitalN said:
I just bought these, be damned if I am dropping 300 more for the 590s.
Who said buy the 590's?

How much were you looking at spending on an amp? You see, amps are pricey little things to say the least.

You can sell your HD515's for who knows how much (or return them if you just bought them assuming the company you got them from has a good return policy). Headphones like the beyerdynamic DT990pro and DT770pro will offer a noticible bass improvement, and they are less then 170$us. Some people around here also say the Audio Technica 500's have a lot of bass, although I have never used them for long periods of time. For 170$, you will be hard pressed to find an amp that add's this much bass. (most of the cheaper amps are more transparent then anything. You're not going to be "ADDING" stuff to the headphones, you will more likely be refining them.)

There are other options out there besides sennheiser. headphone.com is a good place to look at some of these.

~Hope this helps.

So much for low impedance headphones being easily driven by a current limited output stage huh? ;)

Yes... an amp will give you the perception of more bass with less volume.

Back