Will running Skyrim at 120hz break the game?

BusyBeaverHP

Limp Gawd
I just bought Skyrim from the Steam Sales, and did some research on Skyrim at 120hz, and I heard it created problems like game clock desync and physics glitches, any Skyrim owners running it at 120hz experienced problems?

It will create problems. I do not have a 120hz monitor but it's the game engine itself that will cause problems. I had to make sure I lock the game to 59.9 fps whether by forcing v-sync or using a framerate limiter. Anything over that and the game was a mess. Objects would literally fly around houses, physics were absurd. I ended up restarting a new game because my floors were just littered with debris in every house I went in.

Also shopkeeps wont open/close at the right times. I just always thought the trader in Whiterun was a lazy bastard when I'd come by at 10am and he'd be closed.

I'd enter shops and every object in the place would just implode and shit would go flying absolutely everywhere. Shit breaks pretty badly if your FPS gets too high, it's amazingly dumb.

I'd enter shops and every object in the place would just implode and shit would go flying absolutely everywhere. Shit breaks pretty badly if your FPS gets too high, it's amazingly dumb.

This happens in modern game engines? That's cool Bethesda. :confused:

Is that supposed to be a joke, Azureth? That demo looked like ass. I felt like I was watching a WoW demo from a decade ago.

Turning off vsync will not change your monitor's refresh rate :confused:

The issue has nothing to do with refresh rate... I'm using a 60hz monitor and I had originally forced VSync off through the Nvidia control panel and for the life of me couldn't figure out why the game was tripping on acid. I'm pretty sure any framerate over 60fps causes the problem.

Is that supposed to be a joke, Azureth? That demo looked like ass. I felt like I was watching a WoW demo from a decade ago.

Tsk tsk. Obviously it's not that bad if so many very popular devs use it.

Such a simple question yields such annoying responses.

Running at 120 Hz won't cause game-breaking issues, in my experience.

You can enforce a 60fps cap through the nvidia inspector utility
Gameplay is much smoother @ 120hz even when running @ low framerates

/thread

I think this game can be played perfectly at 45FPS or even 40...no reason to really go higher if its not needed to play smoothly. BF3 and most other FPS require 60+FPS to run smoothly, but not TES.

Fine for me. I don't play it a hell of a lot but enough to probably notice consistent problems.

@120hz obviously

I played through the whole thing thinking there was some bug introduced due to a mod. Never knew that it was the 120 hz causing the shit to implode in the rooms etc. ROFL!

Thanks guys! I learn something new about this game everyday. :D

the physics engine seems to be tied to being computed at 60fps. there are explosive consequences sometimes at uncapped fps.

120hz? i dont know.

but i do see flaws with the in game fps limiter
vibration while moving along indoor ground (~tcl will disable the floor interaction smoothing the motion)

i recommend an external fps limiter set approximately at 60 or 90.

i also recommend that you drag approximately 6 files into your skyrim root directory.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/download/73851
http://enbdev.com/d3dx9_40.zip

this will enable unbelievably awesome graphical effects. and you need to use all that power you have to use these plugins, and not just render more frames.

screenshots i just took
skyrimscreenie.jpg

skyrimscreenie2.jpg

Last edited:
DAT ASS!

edit: There is a mod which increases the poly count on many models. I recommend that.

Good news! Your answer isn't annoying, it's just plain wrong.

Running Skyrim at >60 fps = BAD.

Can't get any simpler than that.
I'm not sure what could be wrong about "running at 120 Hz won't cause game-breaking issues, in my experience," unless I were lying. Which I'm not.

You'll get the occasional indoor physics explosion and the game trying to dunk you underwater occasionally (again, indoors). Beyond that? Haven't had any problems. None of my quests have broken and my saved games are still 100% working. It doesn't "break the game".

Am I the only one that DOESN'T like the DoF everyone is excited to have? =o It seems like it..

i like it when games match real cinematography instead of a cellphone camera. which for skyrim is a perfect fit. hitman would probably benefit from it, mass effect maybe, half life 2 maybe, counter strike no, unreal tournament no.

i have seen shitty dof, but combined with responsiveness and bokeh, it ads to the atmosphere immensely. it hampers sight just like hdr but it ads to the realistic feel of a game where you cant always see everything.

now motion blur, that bugs the fuck out of me.

Use FPS limiter and make sure your FPS do not exceed 111 and you will be fine.

There were reported issues when the game launched by users, where running above 60hz (may have been a higher number) caused issues with what I think was the radiant system. NPC's and the ingame time would go out of whack. I havn't heard of any reports about it since other the "don't run above 60hz" and I never have seen the issue, other than the physics one; I have only been able to get above 60 indoors.

Such a simple question yields such annoying responses.

Running at 120 Hz won't cause game-breaking issues, in my experience.

Some research shows that the engine struggles with 120hz monitors, when you're getting high frame rates you get all sorts of game bugs which range from visual artefacts like flickering textures to physics bugs.

I think fundamentally the game was designed around the assumption it would run at a fixed tick rate of 60fps, the tick rate appears to be linked to the frame rate, 1 tick per frame maybe? And the cap in the frame rate is imposed via the forcing of Vsync and the assumption that every monitor would be 60hz.

I have a 120hz panel now but haven't tried Skyrim at 120hz yet, only in 3D which had horrible shadow bugs, however I did remove vsync on my first play through on a 60hz monitor and suffered a loads of bugs because of it, most notably the out of sync physics bugs.

Yeah, Skyrim enb has some of the best fully dynamic Dof implimentation I have used.
It doesn't piss off my eyes.

My enb settings aren't nearly as bright as that though...

Am I the only one that DOESN'T like the DoF everyone is excited to have? =o It seems like it..

I don't either. I don't want to have to focus my character's view on something to be able to see it. My eyes to a perfectly good job of making the things I'm not looking at out of focus, thank you very much.

The strong bokeh effects are nice for screenshots, but F that S for regular playing.

I don't either. I don't want to have to focus my character's view on something to be able to see it. My eyes to a perfectly good job of making the things I'm not looking at out of focus, thank you very much.

The strong bokeh effects are nice for screenshots, but F that S for regular playing.

Same. Most of the time it looks overdone or is way too noticable but to each there own.

Back