Will RTX 3090 stock get better?

LFaWolf

[H]ard|Gawd
This is just my recent observation. I put watch on several EVGA 3090 auctions on eBay, and the last one, which seems pretty legit with receipt and everything below, sold for $2045. If my math is correct, the seller gets $2045 x 0.9 (eBay fee 10%) x 0.97 (PayPal fee 3%) = $1,785. Now calculating the cost of the GPU. The MSRP is $1620, and the Seller is in Lombard, Illinois, United States, and Google said sales tax there is 8%, so Seller's cost would be $1620 x 1.08 = $1,750. That leave $35 "profit", not to mention the shipping cost. Perhaps the Seller actually loses money or at most breakeven? I don't know. I just hope the demand goes down from now and scalpers start losing money or not making money, so stock can normalize. What do you think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-XC3-U...83.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Also, seems like eBay is the winner here :eek:

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have seen a lot more 3090s in stock recently. The 3080Ti might also add a lot of pressure on scalpers getting rid of their 3090s

Of course it will. It may take some time but remember this is not some conspiracy to keep cards out of the hands of people, like some on [H] want to claim. There is extremely high demand coupled with supply issues. That means shortages. However demand is not infinite. Again despite what you might here on this site, people are buying cards. Each time someone gets a card, that is a bit more of the demand sated. More cards keep getting made, things will calm down eventually. When will it be "normal" and you can just buy a card anywhere any time? Nobody can say but ya, it will get better.

Particularly with 3090s. They are very expensive, there are just only so many people willing to spend tons of money on a GPU. It might seem like everyone is out to get one but remember that forums like this are very much not representative of the population at large. The most common video card in use on Steam? The GTX 1060. Next most common? The 1050Ti. The majority of gamers out there are not willing to toss down $1500-2000 for a GPU.

That is what I hope too, that it becomes unprofitable for scalpers that they and the bots will stop buying 3090 and it happens quickly now.

The 3090 is probably the easiest new generation GPU to get right now. Those that were willing to pay a premium on a $1500+ GPU have been largely satiated so most of the people buying 3090s now are actual end users - and there aren't that many people willing to drop 3090 money down.

If this is any indication of the situation in Europe:
https://www.proshop.de/RTX-30series-overview

For the 3090, the outstanding customer orders and the expected incoming cards isn't that extraordinarily far away from each other, almost 1:1 for many models and in total 78 incoming vs 194 customer orders (2.5 for 1 ratio).

For the 3080 there is 3116 customer order for 116 incoming (27 for 1 ratio)
For the 6080xt there is 459 customer order for 13 incoming (35 for 1 ratio)

At this point, I am a low risk type of person, for sure I would not invest in the buying of 3090 for reselling business, it is not impossible that in less than 5 weeks or less that it is possible to almost simply buy one, NVidia late february release for the 3080TI would make a lot of sense, by that point it would be possible for Nvidia to have too many "good" GA102 for the 3090 natural demand.

This is just my recent observation. I put watch on several EVGA 3090 auctions on eBay, and the last one, which seems pretty legit with receipt and everything below, sold for $2045. If my math is correct, the seller gets $2045 x 0.9 (eBay fee 10%) x 0.97 (PayPal fee 3%) = $1,785. Now calculating the cost of the GPU. The MSRP is $1620, and the Seller is in Lombard, Illinois, United States, and Google said sales tax there is 8%, so Seller's cost would be $1620 x 1.08 = $1,750. That leave $35 "profit", not to mention the shipping cost. Perhaps the Seller actually loses money or at most breakeven? I don't know. I just hope the demand goes down from now and scalpers start losing money or not making money, so stock can normalize. What do you think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-XC3-U...83.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Also, seems like eBay is the winner here :eek:
not to mention depending on how much in ebay sales he makes in this year he will also be required to pay taxes on those earnings right?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
not to mention depending on how much in ebay sales he makes in this year he will also be required to pay taxes on those earnings right?
Yes, but only on the profits. Reselling stuff is a business. You get to deduct all the expenses. Income taxes won't stop scalpers. Sales tax can though, at least when the margins get small enough. Like I managed to snag a 3090 on BestBuy.com last month for local pickup. The catch is the pickup was in Cook County, IL so the sales tax was at least 9%. I'd have to check my receipt to see exactly what it was in that particular suburb. I probably would have gotten beat by a bot if I'd been in a state with no sales tax.

Yes it already had. I believe the people that are buying them up at my local MC are legit users. There was a open box MSI 3090 trio this morning for awhile. It was nearly $200 off the msrp. I was going to grab it after work if it was still there.

Well, lucky me, I was able to get a 3090 FE during BestBuy drop today. I had to do it quick as they were sold out within 5 minutes or so. I can't believe scalpers are still buying 3090. However, with the MSRP increase from all the AIBs (news today), I am not surprised.

I think with all these cards going to mining the coin craze again, prices are skyhigh.

Well, lucky me, I was able to get a 3090 FE during BestBuy drop today. I had to do it quick as they were sold out within 5 minutes or so. I can't believe scalpers are still buying 3090. However, with the MSRP increase from all the AIBs (news today), I am not surprised.
I had that card in my cart. I just couldn't do it for $1500.

I messaged my wife about it, why didn't you just buy it?

ack. I can't win.

I had that card in my cart. I just couldn't do it for $1500.

I messaged my wife about it, why didn't you just buy it?

ack. I can't win.
Yeah man, I feel your pain. I hesitated for a moment myself. I had several items opened on several chrome tabs, EVGA/MSI 3070, EVGA/NVIDIA FE 3090. All the buttons turned yellow and the FE was the one I went for it first, as the EVGA 3090 XC3 is $120 over the FE. I got the FE but since my card on file expired, I spent a few minutes updating the card info and thought about it. But I just had to go for it, especially with the news that I read this morning (below). Once that FE Order completed, I tried other cards and all were sold out, even the EVGA 3090 XC3.
https://hardforum.com/threads/asus-...phics-cards-and-motherboards-pricing.2006098/

I'm beholden to whatever has a water block for it and I refuse to buy a $1500+ GPU simply because others are unavailable. To me it seems rather telling that the 3090 seems to be the one that keep getting restocked periodically at my local MC. Have not seen any 3080's since launch. The occasional 3070.

The wait continues.

I think with all these cards going to mining the coin craze again, prices are skyhigh.
That factored into my decision to go for it as well. I think mining is back especially with the higher memory GPUs.

Yes it will get better as markets approach saturation.

Its not a conspiracy that nVidia chose to prioritize miners over gamers, though nice gaslighting from many on this form would have you believe otherwise. Just watch, once markets are saturated and supply starts hitting the shelves they'll claim there never was a problem because see, product is on the shelf now :rolleyes:.

I hope mining moves away from cards I heard that they will but I don't think that's the case for ETH. I think the 3090 stock is about to get pretty out of hand. I follow all those discord channels and that card is always getting dropped. Nobody is buying them and they are in for a rude awakening. Price to performance it's not a good value. I think if you can be patient the 3090 is going to be popping up all over the place. I hope the scalpers get stuck with a bunch those dummies are the ones buying those. It's just seems so unrealistic for a video card to sell for 1600-1800 now 1800-2000 with the tariff taxation. Oof.

I hope mining moves away from cards I heard that they will but I don't think that's the case for ETH. I think the 3090 stock is about to get pretty out of hand. I follow all those discord channels and that card is always getting dropped. Nobody is buying them and they are in for a rude awakening. Price to performance it's not a good value. I think if you can be patient the 3090 is going to be popping up all over the place. I hope the scalpers get stuck with a bunch those dummies are the ones buying those. It's just seems so unrealistic for a video card to sell for 1600-1800 now 1800-2000 with the tariff taxation. Oof.

I remember I read it somewhere that nvidia stated the number of 3090 produced will be limited, yet I agree with you that from the drop notification I do see a lot of 3090 and almost nothing of the 3080. I suppose the 3090 has the higher profit margin so nvidia decides to provide more of them. As for stock, I almost always tap on the 3090 drop notifications and look, but they are gone almost instantly.

3090 doesn't make sense for mining so the miners are buying up all the 3080's ($700 vs $1500). If that picture floating around of the miner with PNY 3080's is any indication though, seems to me they have backroom deals to buy these by the pallet. There's no way the miner is buying 78 of the same cards on random drops.

As for the 3090, my guess is that Nvidia is getting great yields with the 102 die that to them they want to sell as many of them as $1500+ 3090's instead of $700 3080's. This is where I suppose the 3080 Ti is going to come in if rumored pricing is correct. 3080 will still be MIA and now your options for 102 die cards will be $1000-$1200 card or the $1500+ card.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
Back