Will RadioShack's Suppliers Let It Live Through the Holidays?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
RadioShack is looking a little worse for wear these days, the once prosperous electronics retailer of the 80’s, has fallen on hard times and is facing the possibility of bankruptcy procedures looming in the near future.

For RadioShack, the luxury of time is evaporating. As one liquidator put it: “Its name says it all: It’s a relic of the 80s.”

That sucks, I actually like going to radio shack, ones near me the employees are always very helpful, even if I don't buy anything.

In Canada, Radio Shack has been dead for long. Bought by Circuit City and I never see anyone buying overpriced stuff there. I wonder how they survive here.

My experiences with Radio Shack:
"Hi, welcome to Radio Shack. You've got questions? So do we." :p

They are occasionally useful for the occasional DIY electronics component the big box stores don't even bother stocking. Otherwise I just go to Frys for that kind of thing.

I bought my first computer back in '82
Model TRS-80 was brand spanking new
How it all worked I didn't have a clue

Oh -a oh

Using it night and day with friends who had acne
Trying to figure out this new technology
32 by 16 resolution we could see

Oh -a oh

We were just children

Oh -a oh

President Reagan

Internet killed the RadioShack
Internet killed the RadioShack

Online shopping was to start

Oh - a - a - a oh

Radio_Shack_Revenues_0_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpg

The problem with radioshack is that they stopped carrying what made them big in the first place and Tandy computers were abominations. I refused to even touch one to this day.

RadioShack is a dead niche of severely overpriced products for what is or has already become an extreme minority. Internet prices > retail prices.

The problem with radioshack is that they stopped carrying what made them big in the first place and Tandy computers were abominations. I refused to even touch one to this day.

I went into a radioshack a couple of years ago looking for small electronic components... everything was relegated to the equivalent of a giant tacklebox with the rest of the store dedicated to selling cellphones, TV's, and overpriced accessories(cables, extension cords, usb hubs, etc.). Of course they didn't have what I needed, so I left emptyhanded.

Then I remembered why I hadn't been in there in so long, as my previous trip a couple of years prior left me empty handed after digging through the mess of a cabinet of small electronic components. A few years before that when everything was still shoved into the back corner but still actually occupied shelf space I could at least find some things.

I don't think radioshack had a business plan for anything after the year 1995 other than to be a tiny store with terrible prices and piss poor selection of consumer electronics. Even their website sucks. Had they decided 15 years ago to get into e-commerce and stick with the hobby and DIY business.. maybe they would have stood a chance? Because I don't understand how the local stores are still open with Fry's and Best Buy in the vicinity. Hell, even target and walmart are better options for places to buy 90% of the crap that radioshack sells.

Radioshack never went wrong with me. Got a nice price on a start solder kit and some earbuds with warranty. But the local (out of business now) radioshack had jack shit for supplies. The closest one in the city had better selection by far. But the closest fry's or microcenter is in Detroit which is 3 hours away or more.

Radioshack needs to close their stores and just do Online orders, less overhead and taxes.

Back before they got rid of Optimus and Realistic, I was in there all they time.

After that, it went completely downhill.

Even before they got rid of Optimus it had started t go down hill.

They stopped doing what made them money, and changed over to a mini "Best-Buy" with even worse prices than Best-Buy.

Who actually buys in stores anymore?(except food)

Sometimes you actually need something faster than UPS' delivery speed? If I need something by tomorrow it's likely I will find a better deal at a brick and mortar location when having to consider overnight shipping from an online retailer.

Their old CEO is now attempting to kill one of the best grocerers in the country. Any executive that has ever been associated with RadioShack should never be allowed in a position of power ever again

That sucks, I actually like going to radio shack, ones near me the employees are always very helpful, even if I don't buy anything.

So you were part of the problem then.

These guys have been like the worst cell phone store for ages. They should never have wasted all that time with other products and just focused on mobile stuff, but even then, it's not like networks don't already have their own stores.

bought a pocket spanish conjugation/dictionary thingy back in college.

tried to sell me a warranty that cost about 75% of the product price

walked out laughing

You guys take having a store with lots of nice parts ready to go for granted.

What? The electronic component section of the local radio shack could fit into a 2'x2'x4' tall box. It's crap.

These guys have been like the worst cell phone store for ages. They should never have wasted all that time with other products and just focused on mobile stuff, but even then, it's not like networks don't already have their own stores.

Pretty much. If I wanted a cellphone, I'd go elsewhere. If I wanted to subscribe to dish network, I'd go elsewhere. If I want a computer component, I'd go elsewhere. If I want a small electronic component like a switch, resistor, LED, etc. I have to go elsewhere. I guess if I want a crappy RC car or helicopter I could go to RS?

In Canada it's been bought and renamed "the source"
They sell ultra expensive batteries, cell phones, cheap Rc devices and carry rows of crap products by Chinese brands. NeXXus or something. Crap that you would pass on at the dollar store.

I have made one purchase there in the past decade, and that was my ps4... Because no one else shops there.

I bought my first computer at RadioShock.

IBM Aptiva FTW.

It's been so long sine I've been in a Radio Shack store, I don't even know what they carry now. Why would I go to Radio Shack over Micro Center?

What? The electronic component section of the local radio shack could fit into a 2'x2'x4' tall box. It's crap.

I started in electronics repair in 1987. Even back then, I quickly learned not to bother with that part of Radio Shack. What little useful stuff they had was always overpriced, and it only got worse as time went on.

Ya I always thought the point of radio shack was to buy components and special electronics. They stopped doing that and did not a single thing to culture a new generation of tinkerers. This is a shop that had a chance to really grab hold of the explosion of computers and turn into the place you go to buy and build computers. Instead they reduced selection of electronic parts, only sold the cheapest most over priced Chinese junk, and turned half the store into a pathetic cell phone store to compete with the random kids who do iphone repair in the mall. What a joke.

I even had a cable guy tell me not to buy cable connectors at radio shack because they were the worst quality. Apparently even home depot does electronics better than radio shack.

Every time I walk into a radio shack I regret wasting my time when I cannot find what I want or its 10x the price I would be willing to pay. I hope they don't make it to Christmas.

I remember radio shack way back when to have alot of electronic parts and cables and such. I bought a BreadBoard a long time back from radio shack. That's really my only memory besides buying batteries when they had a sale every now and then.

Focusing on cell phones is kind of what got them into trouble. Most of their sales come from wireless, but the gross margin from them have declined for years. Cellphone sales are a race to the bottom now that everyone is in the business and can afford to take a loss at them. What else are you going to buy at Radio Shack along with a phone other than a case or power cable?

Focusing on cell phones is kind of what got them into trouble. Most of their sales come from wireless, but the gross margin from them have declined for years. Cellphone sales are a race to the bottom now that everyone is in the business and can afford to take a loss at them. What else are you going to buy at Radio Shack along with a phone other than a case or power cable?

Well, they could have had smaller stores instead of wasting space on selling computers or useless spools of wire that are like a one low margin sale a month thing to some random guy who doesn't know about the Internet.

Radioshack was basically Mecca when I was a kid and first getting into electronics and repair.

Now? I'm pretty sure my garage has more of a selection of real parts than their stores do. I moved a couple years ago from Atlanta to Rochester so I lost access to Frys. However there are a good number of small "mom and pop" type electronics stores up here which have a selection that is 10x what RS ever had. Anything I need they don't have? Online. RS is dead I'm afraid. All they sell are cellphones, accessories and shitty toys they call RC.

Well, they could have had smaller stores instead of wasting space on selling computers or useless spools of wire that are like a one low margin sale a month thing to some random guy who doesn't know about the Internet.

That's the other problem that's driving them to bankruptcy. They wanted to close up 1100 stores and remodel the rest (never mind the remodel was basically the same store) However, their creditors won't let them close them because they think it would be even harder to get their money back. Well now, even if they did allow it they no longer have enough money to actually close them. Anything they could have done to save themselves they probably should have did 10 years ago

That downward spike in the 90s was the result of them trying to expand, like opening up Galaxy, which then got sold and renamed to Fry's. They never recovered from that one, it is a good thing they eventually took on cellphones but they need to find another product or service to build some profit.

I've seen some cute nerdy girls at the one near me and I drop by there for A/V parts and cables when I don't have time for Monoprice to ship something out. That said I wouldn't miss it if it were gone.

Everything I used to buy at radioshack can be bought at mono price for peanuts

I've seen some cute nerdy girls at the one near me and I drop by there for A/V parts and cables when I don't have time for Monoprice to ship something out. That said I wouldn't miss it if it were gone.

Yea I usually go for my quick audio parts, usually the clerks are useless here, they mostly know about cellphone plans. I'm ok with that, I go in because I know what I want.

I love going to Radio Shack for the last minute cable or electronic part though over the past few years it seems RS has lightened stock on the parts I would normally purchase. I remember when their stock of capacitors and resistors was the best around, at least in the area where I live. Ah well, such is the times. At least I can count on the locally owned private electronics shop to have what I need in-stock.

Radioshack was basically Mecca when I was a kid and first getting into electronics and repair.

Now? I'm pretty sure my garage has more of a selection of real parts than their stores do. I moved a couple years ago from Atlanta to Rochester so I lost access to Frys. However there are a good number of small "mom and pop" type electronics stores up here which have a selection that is 10x what RS ever had. Anything I need they don't have? Online. RS is dead I'm afraid. All they sell are cellphones, accessories and shitty toys they call RC.

Hey the last time I was in NY state I noticed that the small privately owned electronic supply businesses was alive and well up there. I was very surprised. You would see that in the south 25 years ago, but not now. I think it might have to do with long cold winter seasons and the fact that people are inside and stay busy with hobbies.

A guy last week came in asking if I sold capacitors. Told him nope. He tried Radio Shack, the employee there sucking up the oxygen laughed at the guy when asked if they carried capacitors.

Back