Will R9 280X CrossFire with 7970 GHz Edition? Yes - Complete Success

Yeah, at the end of the review for the R9-280X, a card that offers GTX 770 performance at $100 less is going to put some pressure on Nvidia.

And, according to the review, Nvidia isn't going to change the price of the $399 GTX 770.

Here in the UK (Rip off Britain) the R280X and Nvidia 770 are more or less the same price. Ebuyer is selling the PowerColor R9 280X 3GB for £299 and there's two MSI 770's going for exactly the same price with a copy of Batman Origins.

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/Graphics-Cards-AMD/subcat/AMD-Radeon-R9-270X-280X-Series

Price won't drop because of the added value PhysX brings to the table as seen in the Hawken demo. Those are some damn expensive swirls I must admit.

Geeeee nVidia has PhysX which is supported on a small fraction of games.

ATI has better DoubleFP (GFLOPS), and OpenCL and Mantle which is cross platform with PS4 and XBoxOne.

And you think there won't be price pressure? I consider Mantle sweet revenge for the B.S. nVidia played with PhysX. Serves them right.

After bringing it to the attention of the canucks they posted a quick article on mixed crossfire scaling:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...crossfire-r9-280x-hd-7970-scaling-tested.html

Glad to see people care about my question so much :)

The thing that stuck out the most to me there wasn't so much that it works... but that there still isn't a crossfire profile for AC3, AC4 is out soon and one would hope they have one sorted for that since it's the same engine :p

I would guess its more of an ubisoft issue, they are notorious for lousy support of games after release.

The initial AC still runs like ass after all these years.

so..which to xfire with a HD7950? And are the new ones less power consuming than 7950s?

It will be the R 280

Though 7950 is rather unique in being substantially cheaper than its successor - people should get on those deals while they can

I would guess its more of an ubisoft issue, they are notorious for lousy support of games after release.

The initial AC still runs like ass after all these years.

I still have an open support ticket from AC1 not running on my X1900XT. There was a giant black box on the side. Ubisoft blamed ATI of course, but nothing every fixed it.

I still have an open support ticket from AC1 not running on my X1900XT. There was a giant black box on the side. Ubisoft blamed ATI of course, but nothing every fixed it.

There are numerous examples of games new and old that don't have Crossfire profiles.
Same can be said to a slightly lesser extent about SLi.:D

I'm very glad to see this. I have the Gigabyte GV-R797OC-3GD Monster card and knowing that I will be able to crossfire with the R9-280X means that I could have two of the rarest things on this planet - Radeon cards that [H] gave gold awards to! LOL

This is good i can crossfire another card now later down the line without worrying about the card being discontinued. I'm sure its compatible with 7990 also since 7970 is compatible also. If it doesn't then a possible driver mod might be possible.

That's what I love to hear and see. XFire a 7970 with the new 280x! That's just bad ass. I love it! Thanks for the awesome news. I just picked up a new 7970 so I'm in luck. Then I might add a QNIX screen to run it. Still thinking about that one. It might happen. Not sure yet!

Maybe i missed something but why wouldnt a r280x crossfire with a 7950 since a 7970 can crossfire with a 7950?I would think that would work as well

Perhaps in future driver revisions? Mismatched crossfire is one of the great benefits of AMD. A saving grace so to speak.

This is great news. AMD, I am proud of you. I'll be pairing my 7970 with a 280x soon I think. I wonder if they have anything up their sleeve like G-Sync for Nvidia? I suppose it wouldn't matter with my 2560x1600 60 Hz monitor; as long as I hit that 60 fps all the time I should be fine.

I'm seeing conflicting information about crossfire compatibility between 7950 and 280x. May just buy one and check it out so I can say one way or the other with the cards I try.

Seems like more of what I see out there in rumor/conjecture land is in line with my lgoci which is that if the 7970 Ghz and the 7950 can play together, and the 280x and 7970 Ghz can play together, than the 7950 and the 280x should play together, too. Anyone have a link to definitive proof on this issue? The cheap 7950s at Newegg dried up last night. They do this all the time lately, the search prices show way lower than what they really are...

I would prefer to get a 280x with a proven cooling design for xfire with my Icy Vision A'd Powercolor 7950 V5E Boost that runs nice and cool, rather than getting another 7950. However, if someone can say for sure the 280x isn't a good option I'll hurry up and pull the trigger on one of the last 7950s. I'm looking at the Sapphire Vapor-X.

Any input greatly appreciated.

I just purchased a MSI 280X OC and paired it with my 2 year old Asus HD 7970. I could not be happier. The cards are quiet and run very smooth in crossfire. The 280X is the master. My 3D Mark score is 5173. How does that compare?

I just purchased a MSI 280X OC and paired it with my 2 year old Asus HD 7970. I could not be happier. The cards are quiet and run very smooth in crossfire. The 280X is the master. My 3D Mark score is 5173. How does that compare?

Did you forget a "one" in front of that score? Which benchmark are you using?

I want to do this with my 7970GHz. Do want.

I'm assuming you have the 280X as your main card?

Yes, but I had to use the Crossfire bridge that came with my 7950 to get it to work. The one that came with the 280x would only work if I put the 280x on the bottom. Pain in the ass.

Yes, but I had to use the Crossfire bridge that came with my 7950 to get it to work. The one that came with the 280x would only work if I put the 280x on the bottom. Pain in the ass.

That is quite interesting, I have crossfire bridges from different manufacturers such as XFX and Gigabyte. Is it possible that it might be a manufacturing difference?

seems these thread already old, has anybody yet has experienced crossfiring 280x and 7950?

If so, please do share.... used 7950 in ebay are so high now and 280x is cheaper here in korea.... and I want to crossfire 280x with my 7950

@night.fox
I'm really curious if the 280x/7950/7950 tri-Frankenfire setup we talked about will work. I think it will. It's good because the 280x will run cool in top slot if you can get them all working together. What I stated about the crossfire bridge was absolutely the fix for the problems I had while setting up my 280x/7950 with the 280x on top. And you mentioned that the techoftomorrow Frankenfire test had a similar problem (which they didn't solve). I suspect the crossfire bridge may have been their issue as well, because, just like me they had success with the 280x on the bottom.

@berserk_void It is certainly possible as the two xfire bridges in this case were made by completely separate companies, neither of which had I heard of and they aren't big manufacturers like gfx card makers. It was a shock that it solved the problem, but looking back I still feel dumb for not trying both crossfire bridges the very first time I set the 2 cards up--with the 280x on top, but it's mostly because I didn't want to open the package the bridge was in.

Back