Will prices drop further?

Will AMD drop prices again in the next month?

• Yes

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • No

Votes: 69 67.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

overclockedpc

Limp Gawd
Just wondering if anyone has heard or read anything about AMD dropping their prices any more than they have in the next few months.

My guess is that AMD will drop prices again after the C2D floods the market and everyone stops buying AMD chips. What does everyone else think?

i've seen more forums about AMD price drops and availability than c2d availability. (especially since they gotta wait for mobos with 590 chipsets)

These prices are going to remain essentially static until next year, at least. AMD has not announced any price drops at all, not counting the one that just happened.

after such a big price cuts, I don't think AMD would cut them any lower. They would just lose on the whole deal then IMO. :)

Probably depends on what Intel does. Most likely Intel doesn't have the cash reserves to sell low at all, just having expended all that $ to catch up with AMD. So... I doubt it.

Plus, these price drops did a pretty good job to equalize Intel and AMD in terms of bang for buck.

I heard there may be another cut at the end of October but I don't expect anything before then.

No further price cuts for the X2's on the desktop this year.

On the Intel side, no more price cuts on the Core 2 Duo, until at least November, where they will start considering it.

maverick777 said:
I heard there may be another cut at the end of October but I don't expect anything before then.

There will be a cut to clear inventory before the next line of chips come out.

The prices will drop according to conroe. AMD will match price per watt per performance of Conroe. Lower AMD goes the more ppl buy AMD. 20% performance difference on afew benchmarks is nothing to worship about like its some god. It can be easaly matched by price. You get what you pay for. Equal price per watt per performance. In that factor AMD can still match a intel. As for furture proofing its all in the bag with AM2. Support bloody cpu lines by 2 generations after Rev F. Wow. Even AM3 and K8L. Wooo. Glad I went AM2. No more mobo upgrades for 3 or 4 years. Can't say the same for conroe. :rolleyes:

But who doesn't want the thing. :D Will prob have 2 rigs if money is good.

prices will be cut for 65nm, prices will be cut when quad cores come out, will be cut when K8L comes out.

From all the news... it seems that pricing at this point will be determined by Intel and it is their move. AMD is willing to match Intel to prolong their next launch. Their seems to be mix info that AMD has something lined up to go against Conroe.

As far as price versus the performance increase with Conroe... you also have to factor in hardware cost especially the motherboard. I am very interested in Conroe design and looking over the specs you can clearly see how it will outperform any dual core cpu today. Bottomline is Conroe is the new generation of multi-core... but that is Intel's version. The buzz is AMD has their version in the works.

Well... here is the math... if the CPU cost roughly the same... then say most of the hardware will also... the meat to this is the motherboard. The so-call best Conroe supported motherboard to yield best o/c result, stability and support will cost 2x the so-call best X2 / Opteron Dual Core motherboard plus the AMD support motherboard has been out much longer and has already worked most the kinks out.

For me I would be going cheapest route with best O/C potential.

Rough pricing:

Conroe 6400 ($220-250) + P5W DH Deluxe ($270-300) = $490-550 (review stated it can o/c 2.6-2.8)
X2 4200 ($170-190) + SLI-DR ($150-170) = $320-360 (current stepping avg o/c 2.9-3.0)
Opteron 165 ($260-280) + KN8 ($70-100) = $350-380 (current stepping avg o/c 2.9-3.0)
(I own this setup and running 3.06 aircooled. I am considering gettting the 6300 but not sure if there would be any gain... at least any noticable performance gain. I bought this before I found out about the price drop, luckily I got a deal on the KN8 which cost $50 so it doesn't hurt to bad but what will hurt is the RAM. If I go Conroe then I got to get new RAM which sux since I just bought ultra fast CAS 2 DDR.

Well with the math there... AMD still looks like the best move... That is a big price difference.
I would totally consider Conroe when there is more motherboard option and support... hopefully with more option it bring the cost down. Hopefully by that time, AMD will show us what they have hidden up their sleeves. I really do not want to do go to the drak side but I thank Intel for forcing the price war... it is rediculous how much CPU has jumped to now days. All in all, as of today, AMD still seems to be the best choice.
And we have not even talked about driver issue, motherboard stability, Bios, New Tech Guinea Pigs issue, and all the issues that goes with that...

Where are the X2 5000+'s? I've looked on several retailers, even pricewatch, and nobody has 4400+'s, 4800+'s, or 5000+'s for AM2.

I believe the retailers (E-Tailers) will further drop the prices to keep prices even more competitive.

Tytanium said:
Where are the X2 5000+'s? I've looked on several retailers, even pricewatch, and nobody has 4400+'s, 4800+'s, or 5000+'s for AM2.
why would any retailer have the 4400 or 4800 since they were discontinued? hopefully the 5000 will start showing up soon though.

I heard the next price cuts will be in October. Can't find the link though.

No, there is no need. They alreayd have very compedative prices and with alot of people already with S939 boards, why change when you can get an x2 CPU for the same price about? Going to conroe you need to change RAM to DDR2 which isn't cheap.

trek554 said:
why would any retailer have the 4400 or 4800 since they were discontinued? hopefully the 5000 will start showing up soon though.
Ah. I had assumed that they were still in production, because they showed up in the price cut lists? :confused:

Im still thinking that Conroe may affect prices when it becomes more available, but I doubt that AMD will drop much furthur....But here is hoping! :D

I doubt X2 drop much more... but for Opteron... that is another story.
The price was only to effect desktop CPU then Mobile will be next...
Opteron 939/AM2 is sort of a Hybrid... Server design but aimed for the Workstations which is a highend desktop... correct? Well with the AMD announcement they said that Opteron prices will be determined by the distrubitor or vendors and they did not set and price... does that mean the price on Opteron has drop but they are not announcing to allow a premium on Opteron to continue? Or are they planning a drop for Opteron after seeing how Conroe effect directly on the Opteron since it was the Opteron 939 that made AMD so much revenue in such a short time.

Back