Will one year of mining degrade a GPU enough to affect frame rates and stability?

• Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 143938

I won't be around my PC for about a year soon, I thought maybe it's a good time to make use of it and do some mining while I'm away.

But I don't want to ruin the GPU. I know accidents can happen, but is there a good likelihood of a GPU being gimped by one year of mining?

Run it at 60-65% TDP and you'll be fine. If you don't run it for a year you might come back to find it FUBAR

Run it at 60-65% TDP and you'll be fine. If you don't run it for a year you might come back to find it FUBAR
I think as long as his clocks are stable and the card is running a reasonable temperature, it can run indefinitely with no interaction.

Good luck, OP!

Unlikely your machine will stay up for a full year — you’ll get an OS patch. A power outage, a network outage. Make sure you have something like team viewer installed to be able to resume. My cousin and I have had 1070s mine for three years and still all of them pass the 3D mark stability test. I run my mining cards and 70-75% power target (this is an undervolt) and they do great.

Unlikely your machine will stay up for a full year — you’ll get an OS patch. A power outage, a network outage. Make sure you have something like team viewer installed to be able to resume. My cousin and I have had 1070s mine for three years and still all of them pass the 3D mark stability test. I run my mining cards and 70-75% power target (this is an undervolt) and they do great.

Pretty much this. If you are gonna have any chance of it staying up for a long time It would need to be some kind of linux distro as windows will fuck you over with an update or something. I would also be VERY concervative in my overclocks as a slight hashrate reduction (or even a large one) will earn you more if it stays "UP" for a long time VS a higher hashrate causing a crash that you can not reboot from.
Ideally if you can you could set your OS to auto login and the miner starting in case of a crash and also set your BIOS to the "always on" after power loss setting so even if you got a power outage it should start back up and get mininig again on its own

I have also used smartplugs before when i was remote from my miner in case i needed to power cycle it if teamviewer wasn't connecting. Of course if your internet goes down you are kinda hooped either way.

not really but good luck keeping it running while youre in the big house

Reactions: travm
like this
I used to game on my 980TIs at 150% TDP, and they can still run the exact same clocks 6 years later. I dropped the power target down from 375W to 275W, though because I got tired of all the heat and noise.

Attachments

• GM200.jpg
    GM200.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 0
If you are monitoring memory temp and keeping it down, it shouldnt be a problem.
Its wise to test undervolting the GPU a lot before finalising the setup, this will keep temps down.
Potential harm to the GPU is also vastly reduced.

Theres a larger chance of your PC borking itself while you are away for a number of other reasons, a year without hands on is a long time.
I would arrange for someone with PC skillz locally to be available.

I used to game on my 980TIs at 150% TDP, and they can still run the exact same clocks 6 years later. I dropped the power target down from 375W to 275W, though because I got tired of all the heat and noise.
Thats not a sure sign of anything with current hardware.

I had only considered your question, Pendragon is completely on point, if you aren't able to service the machine regularly my bet would be it fails at mining within the first week. No damage to the card, just not burning coal and turning it into faker than normal money.

Thats not a sure sign of anything with current hardware.
This is very true, manufacturers decided that rather than try to fight overclocking, they would just do it at the factory, charge triple, and replace the failures.
(I don't have evidence of this directly, but facts and science and stuff)

Back