Will nvidia support VRR, HDMI 2.1 specification?

Frameless

Limp Gawd
So we got news of 2019 OLED TVs getting full HDMI 2.1 support and im gonna get one. But will nvidia support variable refresh rate in their future cards? I hope they dont go ngreedia on us again just because they have G-sync.

They are forcing me to go AMD if they dont support VRR...

I can't see them not supporting this.

Now that TVs are fast enough for gaming, the industry has done an end-around on DisplayPort (same number of lanes, same VRR, higher bandwidth).

In the PC world, the number of sales of high-end *SYNC monitors is relatively small (a few million total at most). It's a harder sale for something that will only benefit you when you are playing PC games, and is relatively small in size.

It's a lot easier to make the sales pitch for VRR when it's the same already-expensive massive TV you're using for console games and movies. Might as well throw in VRR into the party, since TV makers have responded to the demand for gaming-capable panels, to boost sales.

This is why Nvidia would be foolish to not support VRR. That is probably also why they still haven't put the money into making GSYNC HDR ASIC (it's using a BIGGER FPGA than the first iteration).

If Nvidia doesn't support a new MASS-PRODUCED platform for 4k 120 hz (because it's a standard, there will be ASICs to cut costs way down), that would be them essentially saying "Yes, I like to prevent increased sales of $1200 graphics cards." That would be Corporate Suicide.

You can be sure they will wait until \the last minute(they will wait for the displays to be common before they give-up the fight), but support will eventually be there.

This was the same company that took 2 years after the release of HD-DVD to even support AVC acceleration, and HDCP. Then it took them another three years to support onboard audio AND dedicated mini-HDMI port in reference designs (for the 400-series) in 2010. 2010 just happened to correspond with the mainstream availability of 1080p LCDs with multiple HDMI inputs.

Last edited:
I REALLY hope NVIDIA pulls their head out of their ass and supports HDMI 2.1 VRR. But I am not optimistic. They've spent millions designing that new DP 1.4 HDR G-Sync module, so they may be in it for the long game. I guess there are two ways you can look at it:

1. 2019 OLEDs will be able to do 4K/120 Hz with 25% black frame insertion for better motion clarity. BFI doesn't work with VRR anyway. Using this path, you buy the fastest NVIDIA GPU, lock the display to 4K/120 Hz, turn down graphics to maintain 120 FPS and brute force it. Another good thing about this path is that 1440p SHOULD also work with all of the above, allowing a option for very demanding games.

2. Hope that AMD comes out with a GPU that isn't embarassing like they have been the last couple of years and be able to have respectable performance in the 4K/VRR realm.

I doubt they will pull the rug from under Gsync even if it doesnt make it to TVs.
They want to sell their new high end large monitors!

I doubt they will pull the rug from under Gsync even if it doesnt make it to TVs.

I would not be surprised if the big display initiative was an effort to keep a handle on G-Sync and avoid supporting TVs with VRR. "Just buy our big TV and variable refresh rate will work! Don't you have deep pockets?"

They just released their pricing on the 65" BFGD: 5 large ones.

Oh, ye of little faith.

gsynccompatible.jpg

If you've been paying attention, the majority of new high-hz displays (the last year) have been Freesync, because it's much cheaper, AND just as high-quality (now that they have the whole sweet-spot range thing mostly resolved). The market for platform-locked VRR displays has been saturated.

It was only a matter of time before Nvidia caved. Same will happen with HDMI 2.1.

Nvidia has ALWAYS supported Adaptive Sync on laptops. They just enforce a local buffer, to avoid any stuttering, and call it G-SYNC. This just required a simple driver update.

AMD gets full credit for this move, along with Intel FINALLY announcing support.

Last edited:
Oh, ye of little faith.

View attachment 133385

If you've been paying attention, the majority of new high-hz dispalys have been Freesync, because it's much cheaper, AND just as high-quality (now that they have the whole range thing mostly resolved).

It was only a matter of time before Nvidia caved. Same will happen with HDMI 2.1.

AMD gets full credit for this move.
Yeah I saw this earlier, quite a revelation when they will allow it with all VRR screens!
Many TVs already have VRR despite not being HDMI 2.1 so a fair amount of backward compatibility is possible.
But it remains to be seen how well the screens perform VRR.
I'm hopeful the Samsung Q9 is up there.

I think the only question I have with this press release: will Nvidia finally let GSYNC HDR display makers support both standards?

Right now, it's locked-down. But they have no real excuse for that now.,

I think the only question I have with this press release: will Nvidia finally let GSYNC HDR display makers support both standards?

Right now, it's locked-down. But they have no real excuse for that now.,

Good point. G-Sync display that also works with AMD using Freesync would be nice indeed. I doubt it will happen though since the G-Sync module is proprietary NVidia hardware.

Back