Will Nvidia be releasing more 3000-series cards?

x509

2[H]4U
3080ti around the corner. Supply, however, is a whole 'nuther thing...
Sure. If this new card is released and produced in some reasonable quantity, does that mean that some other card(s) will have their production cut by that same quantity?

arnemetis

2[H]4U
Production won't be able to ramp up for a couple years yet. Takes time to get new fabs online.

dcun201

n00b
So far just the 3080ti. More than likely its going to be a paper launch sadly.

CruisD64

2[H]4U
You know. You can't blame Nvidia or AMD or any chipmaker for that matter. The entire industry is handcuffed right now. Covid effed everything up. Maybe putting "all your eggs in one basket" is becoming apparent. In my opinion we need US chipmakers. Keep it at home. TSMC has too much power and has obviously become a SPOF.

UltraTaco

Limp Gawd
Screenshot_20210505-193007_Opera.jpg

x509

2[H]4U
You know. You can't blame Nvidia or AMD or any chipmaker for that matter. The entire industry is handcuffed right now. Covid effed everything up. Maybe putting "all your eggs in one basket" is becoming apparent. In my opinion we need US chipmakers. Keep it at home. TSMC has too much power and has obviously become a SPOF.
Way back when, way back, when I worked in computer hardware components, a big obsession of the OEMs was "single sourcing," which they all hated. The OEMs all bought disk drives, keyboards, cases, monitors, etc. In today's world, OEMs need to ask if their component suppliers are single-sourced in any critical component, like GPU chips. Most chip companies today can't justify the billions it would take to build a state of the art fab.

lopoetve

Fully [H]
Way back when, way back, when I worked in computer hardware components, a big obsession of the OEMs was "single sourcing," which they all hated. The OEMs all bought disk drives, keyboards, cases, monitors, etc. In today's world, OEMs need to ask if their component suppliers are single-sourced in any critical component, like GPU chips. Most chip companies today can't justify the billions it would take to build a state of the art fab.
Billions of dollars. Huge amounts of time. Totally different field. Yeah no.

lopoetve

Fully [H]
Find another manufacturer with the same capability. No one else has gotten EUV etching to work as well; even Samsung doesn’t have nearly the same density with their 8nm process. IBM just rolled out 2NM in theory, but... that was last week. Find a fab capable of doing it within 5 years; it’ll be hard. It’s not that they bought out the others, it’s that this stuff gets really hard at a certain point- we’re shooting lasers at falling bits of molten tin to create a photon hitting a wafer that is UNDERWATER.

x509

2[H]4U
Find another manufacturer with the same capability. No one else has gotten EUV etching to work as well; even Samsung doesn’t have nearly the same density with their 8nm process. IBM just rolled out 2NM in theory, but... that was last week. Find a fab capable of doing it within 5 years; it’ll be hard. It’s not that they bought out the others, it’s that this stuff gets really hard at a certain point- we’re shooting lasers at falling bits of molten tin to create a photon hitting a wafer that is UNDERWATER.
Don't take issue what anything you said, but that doesn't change the "facts on the ground." TSMC is a single source, a single point of failure located on Taiwan, whose future is extremely uncertain, and there is essentially nothing the US or Europe can to to truly protect Taiwan from invasion and takeover. It thus behooves a US company to develop 7 mm and sub-7 mm fab processes. Also, TSMC needs to be "induced" to build a state of the art fab in the US. May require some US gummint subsidy as a "strategic military" issue.

toast0

[H]ard|Gawd
Don't take issue what anything you said, but that doesn't change the "facts on the ground." TSMC is a single source, a single point of failure located on Taiwan, whose future is extremely uncertain, and there is essentially nothing the US or Europe can to to truly protect Taiwan from invasion and takeover. It thus behooves a US company to develop 7 mm and sub-7 mm fab processes. Also, TSMC needs to be "induced" to build a state of the art fab in the US. May require some US gummint subsidy as a "strategic military" issue.

Yep, it would certainly be behooven to be or have a second source on this. However, AMD was in the fab business and left, and they're probably better off designing the best chip they can and fabbing it where they can and selling everything they can get made than designing something that can be fabbed more places and not being able to sell many because it's not a competitive design. When other fabs are at or near parity to the best fab for what a product needs, then yeah, figure out how to make them at both places (which I think has been done for some GPUs recently).

lopoetve

Fully [H]
TSMC has fabs in multiple places, including one in Washington, three in China, one in Singapore, and so on. It’s a single point of failure company, not location. It’s just stupid expensive to build them, and people are picky where they’re placed

hell, they’re building one already in Arizona.

CruisD64

2[H]4U
Very true, but I feel like nVidia is one of those companies that can and should. Especially if the acquisition of ARM actually happens... Who manufactures ARM's chips? TSMC. I think it's justified for NV because of that.

x509

2[H]4U
Very true, but I feel like nVidia is one of those companies that can and should. Especially if the acquisition of ARM actually happens... Who manufactures ARM's chips? TSMC. I think it's justified for NV because of that.
If Nvidia did build its own fab, then it would probably have to enter the market to fab chips for other companies, just to keep that fab running at capacity (=profits).

Wonder who they will acquire next? AMD??? J/K. ;)

Denpepe

[H]ard|Gawd
Will Nvidia double or triple their order from semi-conductors for 2022 / 23?

I think a better questio is, can they? According to some sources demand for silicon is 30+% higher then what can be made, so ordering more stuff that can not be made is kind of pointless.

Samsung has already stated that if things continue like they are currently they will have to stop making Tv's and that's a company that makes chips themselves